It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:50 pm 

Edit To Add: Yay! Found the fix. Leaving this in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

What I did to fix is, rather than accept the update to Physx at the prompt when launching Uru, I downloaded it from the link that's been provided on the forum elsewhere for the Legacy version: http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDow ... type=Other

Now both versions are on my system:

NVIDIA PhysX (Legacy)
NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.17.0524

I've tested it and I am now able to launch both games.

Whew!

Original Post:

I'm having an issue with the Physx error. When I update for Moula when prompted at startup it runs fine, of course, but then I get a Physx error with another game I play (Mass Effect 3) - what happens there is I get a Physx error that says I need to download the latest version (Using hardware accelerated PhysX has been requested, but the drivers were out of date. Please download the latest drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_system_software.html FATAL ERROR - EXITING), but when I try I get an error that states I already have the latest version (NVIDIA Installer Cannot Continue A newer or same version is present). This is only fixed when I uninstall NVIDIA PhysX System Software then reinstall it.

And when I do that then I get the Physx error with Moula again, and have to reinstall it again when launching Moula. And then next time I want to play ME3 I get the error again, and have to uninstall/reinstall again.

I just got this computer a couple months ago, and didn't have this issue with my previous computer. Is there a fix, or am I stuck having to uninstall/reinstall Physx each time I want to play between the two games?

Even stranger (or maybe just to me due to my ignorance) either way what shows in my programs is NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.17.0524).

I'm on Windows 10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:29 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Yes, this is a fairly common thing to encounter, irrespective of which version of Windows you have. MOULa was built using what is now a rather old version of PhysX and a couple of years ago Nvidia dropped the drivers that supported a load of older versions from the main PhysX download. It made sense since relatively few people needed those older versions and it made supporting the newer versions a bit more efficient. The "legacy" support wasn't particularly well publicised - you'll find it if you read the "small print" on Nvidia's PhysX web pages but it isn't very obvious.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:22 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Yes, this is a fairly common thing to encounter, irrespective of which version of Windows you have. MOULa was built using what is now a rather old version of PhysX and a couple of years ago Nvidia dropped the drivers that supported a load of older versions from the main PhysX download. It made sense since relatively few people needed those older versions and it made supporting the newer versions a bit more efficient. The "legacy" support wasn't particularly well publicised - you'll find it if you read the "small print" on Nvidia's PhysX web pages but it isn't very obvious.

I was aware of the need for the Legacy version, and not having it/needing to download it was a very common thing to encounter. And for those that may not be aware, that info is thankfully easy to find here :D

I was not aware of the problem downloading Physx from the Uru launch prompt. I suppose I didn't run into the issue before because I'd probably downloaded the Legacy version from the link here, rather than from the launch prompt, on my old computer. While that might be a common and known issue as well, I can't recall ever seeing anyone having the issue of having to uninstall/reinstall PhysX every time they went to/from Uru and newer games. While info about this particular problem very well may be here somewhere and I simply missed seeing it, I wasn't able to find it.

Apparently, downloading Physx from the prompt upon launching Uru simply alters the version already on the computer to run Uru (I'm supposing that based upon the fact that doing this still showed me as having 1 version of PhysX, and as the same version I'd already had, same version I get when downloading it again, and yet after doing so this version is "broken" for newer games, and put me in an endless loop of errors), while downloading the Legacy version from the link ADDS the legacy version, leaving the current version as well.

In short: downloading from the prompt I still had only one version, which worked for Uru but not newer games.
Downloading from the link gave me a second version in addition to the one I already had, allowing me to play both Uru and newer games.

Lesson learned: When needing the Legacy version of PhsyX for Uru download it from the link, not the prompt at launch :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:02 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Yes, prior to splitting out the legacy version, it wasn't much of an issue. If you had a newer version of PhysX installed when you first install MOULa then the bundled installer would recognise that and skip out. Installing a newer version afterwards would work anyway. Once support for older versions was dropped from the main PhysX installer you ended up with with a state where the version bundled with MOULa wasn't suitable for many newer games while newer PhysX versions wouldn't work with MOULa and each install overwrote the other. As you point out, the Legacy installer sits side-by-side with the main version and so resolves the conflict (I haven't checked but it may just add the missing older drivers to the main PhysX installation).

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:14 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
Yes, prior to splitting out the legacy version, it wasn't much of an issue. If you had a newer version of PhysX installed when you first install MOULa then the bundled installer would recognise that and skip out. Installing a newer version afterwards would work anyway. Once support for older versions was dropped from the main PhysX installer you ended up with with a state where the version bundled with MOULa wasn't suitable for many newer games while newer PhysX versions wouldn't work with MOULa and each install overwrote the other. As you point out, the Legacy installer sits side-by-side with the main version and so resolves the conflict (I haven't checked but it may just add the missing older drivers to the main PhysX installation).

Got it :D