It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Paypal account problems
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Due to identity theft problems, I had to cancel my credit card and get a new one. I need to enter the new credit card into my PayPal account, only.... it's registered with a phone number I no longer use, and an e-mail account I no longer use. To make matters worse, I've forgotten the answers to my security questions (which gives you an idea how long it's been since I've accessed that account).

If I can't access that account, I'd like to delete it, instead. Any suggestions?

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:32 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I believe you can regain access to your account if you call Customer Services (Googling "PayPal Customer Services" will likely get you the number for your region (it gives me the UK number)). You'll probably need to have enough details on hand to convince them that it is your account, but knowing the card number, phone number and email associated with the account ought to go long way on that.

To cancel the account you need to be able to log in to it, which takes you back to square one.

However if the linked card is 'dead', the phone number is 'dead' and the email is 'dead' they why not just abandon the account and start another? The only issue I see would be if the existing account is also still linked to an active card or bank account (although someone else may be able to give a good reason I haven't considered why this would be a bad idea).

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:34 pm 

The only reason I can think of is, it's probably against the Terms Of Service to have more than one account. It's up to you if you want to break that or not. I don't know if you will get into trouble if you do. (identity theft concerns)

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:10 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Fair point. The User Agreement probably has geographical variations to account for differing laws in the countries in which PayPal operates, but in the UK agreement rule 2.1 does indeed restrict you to one personal account and one business account and it'd be a breach of the agreement to "pretend" you're using an account for business.

So it looks like its back to Customer Service...

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Terms of Service/EULAs are of questionable enforcability, legally speaking. A good general rule of thumb is they are more questionable in the EU than in the US, however. Besides, if you can no longer access an account, does it even count an account you own?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Thanks, everyone.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall