It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know that there will be no support for win2000 but what else should we do in preparation? I asked Game Tap tech and got this reply
Quote:
Dear GameTap Customer, Thank you for contacting GameTap customer support. As of yet we do not have that information. It should be the same requirements for GameTap. When that information becomes available we will put that out under the support section. Thank you for choosing GameTap and expanding your playground.

I am looking at upgrading my video card but want to know what my options are
. I am running a Nvidia Quadro video card and am looking into getting aGeforce but I want to get one that will work for Uru Live. My processor is an AMD Athlon 1.20 GHz. and I have 512 MB of RAM...
And I think I got an in with Santa this year so what should I be asking him for? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:33 am 

For the beta testing to hurry and finish so the rest of us can play too. Other than that, I can't help you. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:54 am 

I would suggest a GeForce 6 or better. If you have a newer motherboard, you could get a GeForce 7 PCI card, which would handle the game easily. A GeForce 6600 costs about $75 and a GeForce 7600 costs roughly $115. Either one would play Live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Although they will probably specify something like a minimum of 512 Mb of main memory, I would suggest that you have at least 1 Gb if you want things to run smoothly. More than 1 Gb will be helpful in large ages where there are lots of people, but it will still be very playable with only 1 Gb. Anything over 2Gb is probably overkill right now (for Uru at least).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with faroguy and J'on.

1GB of system RAM
GeForce 6600 or 7600 with at least 256MB of VRAM.

I personally would lean toward the 7900 that has 512MB of VRAM, but I play other 3D realtime games like Oblivion that can use the extra horsepower and VRAM. However this would be on the high end of the price scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

1 GB RAM for definite. Even prologue played better going from 512 M to 1 GB.

I played prologue on a Ti4600 at 7 FPS. A 256 MB card that supports pixel shader 2 (eg Radeon 9800 Pro or better or FX5950 or better) should be good enough.

Post subject: What about 5500 cards?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:52 am 

I have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 card. Will I still be ok? So, far, UU and other iterations of Uru have been running ok...

"Let's pretend it's not," said Rabbit, "and let's see what happens."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:52 am 
Obduction Backer

I also have a FX5500, and am in the Preview. The FX5500 seems to do an adequate job. I have an older machine, a 5-yr-old Dell 8100 that's been upgraded some:

1.7 GHz P4
1GB RAM
FX 5500 4x AGP video
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz audio (original equipment)

You definitely want the 1GB of memory. The Turtle beach card worked fine for Uru:CC and UU, but is not working so great in with the new Preview Uru, I can't enable EAX. if I enable EAX, my PC eventually blue-screens due to driver crash (and there are no driver updates available for that old audio card).

Post subject: Sound...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:52 pm 

I have a three-year old machine, pigbristles, and so our specs are close...I have a 2 Ghz Althon XP chip with 1 GB of RAM...sound card I upgraded earlier this year to a fairly cheap SoundBlaster 24-bit card that was about $30 - it seems to enable EAX just fine. At least sound cards cost less than graphic cards for decent performance...

The card was an add-on too, as the original machine had on-board GeForce MX - that seemed to run Uru: ABM ok but it was not a supported card. So I already upgraded once. Hoping the 5500 card will work ok - aside from Uru, I don't need high visual power for anything else I do at home!

"Let's pretend it's not," said Rabbit, "and let's see what happens."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]