It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:23 pm 

...that I decided to play around with building a PC just so I could run URU. Naw, just kidding, but it was a way for me to run it. Here's what I did: took an old junky friend's PC, removed the motherboard, bought an ASRock socket 745 motherboard (w/dual core capability should I want it later, $70), a cheapie NVidia graphics card ($100), a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 ($100) and just 1Gb of RAM ($100). Total expenditure, $370. Yes, it's not a latest-and-greatest gaming computer, but I'm not really into games, just URU :idea: Maybe URU people aren't gamers? Hmm, what a concept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:17 pm 

tamarok wrote:
While Boot Camp is a solution, for me this is not "Uru running on MacOS X". I bought a Mac to avoid Windows and the security issues, so I would rather avoid any solution that requires me to boot back into it.

For me Uru Live is a no buy, until I find a suitable solution.

We (meaning my family) have been using Windows systems since 95 came out and have yet to get a virus. All you need is some good virus protection. And then there is firefox which everyone says is more secure then IE. (I wouldn't know. Please don't hate me. :wink: ) It isn't that hard to keep windows secure so give boot camp a try and join us in the cavern! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:49 pm 

people only get viruses through stupidity, I've been on the net since 1998 and I've only caught one virus and that wasn't from the net. (was cleaning a virus'd system didn't take proper precautions.)

I first realised AV software was a scam when I ran norton and my net connection was cut off for two weeks, disconnecting from my router and not having a wifi card I became suspicous of "incoming attacks from xxx.xxx". Thing is running a full system scan from norton, Mcafrea, Bullguard,Avast found nothing, norton just wanted to scare me into updating so I'd be a subscriber.

Boot Camp isn't anything speacial, Apple have just created a few drivers and things so the slightly speacilised apple hardware design can run windows. Once you have installed windows everything will see it as just anouther windows PC, not running UU or HL2 would be a worry. If your an Intel Mac owner it might be in your interest, XP licences are about £50 now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:48 pm 

It was smart of Apple to offer Boot Camp. Some of us are not yet converted to Intel Macs, however, as it's rather expensive to do so if you already own PPC machines—and with the lack of pro app support, at this moment kinda silly to do so!
I’ve used Windows machines since v3.1 many years ago. Since 95, I’ve always had to deal with viruses and spyware, as so many websites, email attachments and downloads are infected with them. They aren’t hard to manage if you do a little preventative maintenance, but I’ve seen first-hand the effects of not doing so! URU runs terribly on machines whose performace has been degraded by spyware.
Personally, I recommend installing just Computer Associates EZ Antivirus (the 1 year subscription is free through Microsoft) and LavaSoft AdAware Personal Edition (free as well), and that's worked for 100% of my spyware, with little to no performace degradation of the PC-based workstations in my studio.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2