It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:56 am 

1 GB of RAM is pretty much the sweet spot for Uru. 512 MBs is definitely bearable, though. 2 GBs is pushing it unless you have other apps that need it.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:44 am 

Come on, you're all making it so much harder to wait until I can afford my RAM! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:52 am 

I went from 1 gig to 1 gigs of RAM = BIG difference in load times, etc. I was quite surprised, and I did not do it for Uru --- but what a bonus...

Of course, this IS Windows and there ARE lots of little background programs running... and I am running in fulle res 1680x1050 with all the bells & whistles running...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:12 pm 

prdamrican wrote:
I went from 1 gig to 1 gigs

1 to 2, you mean? :wink:

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:49 am 

Maratanos wrote:
prdamrican wrote:
I went from 1 gig to 1 gigs

1 to 2, you mean? :wink:

:shock: Uh... yup.... still haven't mastered that typing thing yet though! :oops: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:37 am 

chucker wrote:
1 GB of RAM is pretty much the sweet spot for Uru. 512 MBs is definitely bearable, though. 2 GBs is pushing it unless you have other apps that need it.

Like Vista... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:01 pm 

Ed Oscuro wrote:
chucker wrote:

Like Vista... :lol:

Nah, even on Vista, 1 GB is fine for Uru. I've worked with that setup for months.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Increasing RAM will definitely make a difference in Uru. My entire Uru experience until last fall was on a rather dated Sony VAIO desktop with 384MB of RAM. As much as I wanted to upgrade the RAM to the machine's maximum capacity of 512, it used RAMBUS modules which were just too expensive, considering the modest increase in capacity.

While running Uru with 384MB, there were times where my hard drive light would flicker constantly due to continuous page file access, and performance suffered accordingly. I also experienced frequent CTDs during linking, and I'm sure these were RAM-related. I assume that much of the lag I was noticing was largely due to the RAM shortage as well.

So I finally got around to building a new machine, and splurged for 2GB. Needless to say, the difference has been noticeable... but this is, of course, partially attributable to the fact that the new PC was also a major upgrade in many areas besides just RAM!

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:10 pm 

Well, I installed my extra RAM today... I didn't try Uru Live yet, but single player Uru was an AMAZING change! Before...

1) The game was very stuttery
2) I had to keep the graphics settings at minimum, with no filters
3) I had to greatly reduce the number of sounds

Now I don't have to worry about any of those - I have anti-aliasing on medium now, and the sounds are cranked up too. And it works fine!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

gave my laptop another 512Kb of ram. Well, it's nice.

I don't hear my hard drive swapping anymore :) , i can go back to desktop without my pc yelling. Nice ! Useful to check out something on the board

However, Processor and Graphic card also makes a difference. So changing ram would help only if the rest of the PC can follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

In the first instance, more RAM could make more difference than a faster processor. You're swapping something very slow (disk i/o) for something very fast (reading from memory).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Does an increase in RAM always have to double it??

Eg: I have four RAM slots and the ability to upgrade to a maximum of 4GB RAM. If I have a slot filled with 1GB of RAM, do I have to get another 1GB stick, or can it go up by 512MB.

That is purely hypothetical, but because people always talk about 512, 1GB 2GB etc, I was wondering about the in-betweens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:08 am 
Obduction Backer

It used to be that RAM had to be entered in matching pairs. I don't know if that's true now, even for dual channel to work. You'll probably be ok as long as the RAM all has the same clock speed (eg PC3200 cas 3).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:15 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

RaPhil wrote:
Does an increase in RAM always have to double it??

No. As Rusty_Russell says, sometimes RAM has to be added in matched pairs, but even in that case, there's nothing to say that the additional RAM has to be the same size as the existing ones.

But what you can or can't do is determined by the type of motherboard. Some motherboards supporting double data rate (DDR) memory only have three slots :? which means you can only get the DDR feature if you have matching RAM in slots 1 and 3, but it is legitimate (if inefficient) to put 512MB in slot 1, 256MB in slot 2 and 128MB in slot 3, for example.
Also there's no point stuffing in 4 x 1GB sticks if your MB says it can only recognise a maximum of 3.5GB.

Basically, check your PC / Motherboard manual.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:14 pm 

Also, another point about RAM: you will have better performance if your RAM is spread out more-or-less evenly -- for example, you have four RAM slots and want to upgrade to 2 GB. Instead of filling two slots with 1GB sticks, fill all four with 512MB sticks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next