It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
If English has no words on par with the Garohevtee, why don't we just invent them.

I think it's possible, but there are two main issues:

1. we first have to 'grok' the gahro-hevtee. I can write 'wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey' and say it's the english equivalent to a particular gahrohev, but it's not much use unless I know what that D'ni word means.
(And if we know what the great words mean, we don't really need to english-ize them.)

2. Once we understand the concepts involved, we have to teach the interpreter (whatever that is) to understand the new words in our language; that might not be an easy task, since we still don't know who or what this interpreter is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:08 pm 

I really pray that age creation does not develop along the lines being put forth in this thread. The suggestions (or in some cases practically commandments) so far seem to be either hugely restrictive and dictatorial or whimsical and useless.

Unless age creation is open to everyone to try (and potentially fail at) then it's totally pointless, in my opinion. If a group of people want to monopolise and control age creation by fans then they should just create their own game rather than trying to hijack this one, and if Cyan want to approve every aspect of every age then it'll be a slow and frustrating process that will inspire few to try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
and if Cyan want to approve every aspect of every age then it'll be a slow and frustrating process that will inspire few to try
That's unavoidable in an online game where the outcomes will be stored on Cyan / GameTap servers, Tutelary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:43 pm 

Tutelary wrote:
Unless age creation is open to everyone to try (and potentially fail at) then it's totally pointless, in my opinion. If a group of people want to monopolise and control age creation by fans then they should just create their own game rather than trying to hijack this one, and if Cyan want to approve every aspect of every age then it'll be a slow and frustrating process that will inspire few to try.

From our internal forum:

Quote:
We aren't making age creation deliberately complicated! Age creation is complicated and that's a fact. Period! Accusing us of making it harder for newbies is as stupid as accusing a color and brush producer to make painting a picture harder or like accusing a tool builder the construction of a car harder. We have invested considerable amount of our free and unpaid time to work on the tools.

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Last edited by Tiran on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:02 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
and if Cyan want to approve every aspect of every age then it'll be a slow and frustrating process that will inspire few to try
That's unavoidable in an online game where the outcomes will be stored on Cyan / GameTap servers, Tutelary.

Not really. They're only responsible for removing things that are unsuitable/illegal when they notice them/they're brought to their attention. Much like YouTube. They don't need to moderate every item, so long as they're generally vigilant. The community will pick up anything they miss.

Tiran wrote:
We aren't making age creation deliberately complicated! Age creation is complicated and that's a fact. Period! Accusing us of making it harder for newbies is as stupid as accusing a color and brush producer to make painting a picture harder or like accusing a tool builder the construction of a car harder. We have invested considerable amount of our free and unpaid time to work on the tools.

I didn't say it had to be easy. I only said it had to be open to everyone :P Creating the ages is going to be hard, no question. I have great respect for the independent developers working their bums off to make tools for us. Seriously, fair play to them for that. I'm talking about official Cyan tools here, though. I don't think your link has much relevance to that discussion. My concern is that unnecessary restrictions will be placed on sharing your creations. If I have to get approval from Cyan that my age is technically sound and won't cause them any legal problems, then that's a pain but I can appreciate it might be necessary, at least in their eyes. But if I have get approval - from either Cyan or a moderating community - that my age is good enough or worthy to be shared, then that totally violates the whole spirit of this community and is a hugely condescending attitude to take towards a fan base brimming with ideas that they want to share. Some will be brilliant. Some will be terrible. We should get to try them all, though, if we want to.

Last edited by Tutelary on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:09 pm 

I agree. As people who have played other games with custom content may tell you, some people can have brilliant ideas but have trouble making their project, say, visually pleasing. But, it's still a brilliant thing and worth trying. This is especially true in a game based on puzzles: even if the puzzle isn't the most beautiful, it may have a great and unique puzzle (or vice versa, of course) and we should have the right to experience it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ian Atrus wrote:
I can write 'wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey' and say it's the english equivalent to a particular gahrohev...

I love that you just used that in a sentence. ;)

Ashelbane wrote:
and we should have the right to experience it.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:57 pm 

Again, discussions and FAQ can be found at http://blog.hurustudio.org/age-creation-faq-info/.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Deledrius wrote:
Ian Atrus wrote:
I can write 'wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey' and say it's the english equivalent to a particular gahrohev...

I love that you just used that in a sentence. ;)

I think Ian's been watching too much Doctor Who ;)

:P

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:44 pm 

Too much is never enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

What is this 'too much' you speak about? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:41 am 
Obduction Backer

[OFF] Ian is waiting today evening to get know how to ride the TARDIS :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:34 am 

Hands up everyone who now wants a TARDIS Relto page?!

<raises hand>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

It would be an easy way to get more space for our Relto library. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is anybody familiar with these tools?

http://www.metaplace.com/
Can it be of any help for us in the future?
..or the way age creation can be organised?

I am not able to judge it , but want to make you all aware of the fact it "excists."

This is a quote how they introduce themselves
Quote:
Our motto is: build anything, play everything, from anywhere. Until now, virtual worlds have all worked like the closed online services from before the internet took off. They had custom clients talking to custom servers, and users couldn't do much of anything to change their experience. We're out to change all of that.

Metaplace is a next-generation virtual worlds platform designed to work the way the Web does. Instead of giant custom clients and huge downloads, Metaplace lets you play the same game on any platform that reads our open client standard. We supply a suite of tools so you can make worlds, and we host servers for you so that anyone can connect and play. And the client could be anywhere on the Web.

We hope there will be millions of worlds made with Metaplace. It could get hard to find stuff if we're right, so the portal lets you easily search, rate, review, and tag worlds and games of all sorts. You also get a user profile so you can find each other.

and here is a link to the developer website:
http://www.areae.net

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next