It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

What do you think?
I'd want to take part! 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
I'd listen to it 62%  62%  [ 16 ]
I don't like this idea 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 26
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:26 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't think I have the time or energy to actually start such a project, but I figured I'd suggest it to the more enthusiastic members of the community, and also see if anything similar has been done.

Since the plot of Scars was acted out almost entirely in the form of chat logs, it might be interesting to basically edit those logs* and use them as a script for a "radio play," or audio reenactment of sorts. Scars might not be the best episode to start with, as it may be a tad too traumatic, but it might be worth considering as we go into the next episode. Reading through chat logs on the forum managed to be surprisingly engaging, but with a decent cast, listening to a dramatic audio version could feel a lot more like "being there."

Anybody agree/disagree? Did somebody do this already and I missed it?

*I'd say leave in some of the explorer chatter, but edit it out when it's just in the way of the action. Also, some editing would have to be done to have a cohesive flow between scenes, as simply reenacting every DRC member appearance within an episode and stringing them together probably wouldn't be... consistently engaging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:16 pm 

That sounds like fun. I'd love to play a part, if something comes of this. (With work and other stuff I don't think I can organize this.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, let me break it down into chunks so it won't sound as daunting.

Major roles:

• -Script editor (LuigiHann, if nobody else volunteers): Somebody needs to arrange the chat logs into something performable.
  • -Casting director (shimmerillion): Somebody needs to list out all the characters from the script, hold "auditions" for all the parts, and choose the actors.
  • -Actors (several people): The actors (if chosen by the Casting Director) need to record their lines and send them to the sound mixer.
    • LuigiHann
    • Faroguy
    • shimmerillion2
  • -Sound mixer (Islander): Somebody needs to take the audio from each actor and edit it into one big cohesive file. Maybe add music and effects.
  • -Hosting (Anansi maybe?): Since audio files will be passed around during the process, and the end result will likely be a large audio file (or stream) it might be good to have somebody with a website volunteer some space.

Looking at that list, Casting Director and Sound Mixer sound like the most troublesome, just because they'd need to deal with a lot of files. I don't think it'd be too difficult for somebody who knows how to do it, though.

Any volunteers for any of these? I'll add anyone whose interested in acting to the list of Actors for now, and let the Casting Director handle the actual auditions and casting later.

Last edited by LuigiHann on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:18 pm 

It's a cool idea if there were any possibility of getting truly professional actors to play the roles, but my experience with doing recording of amateur voice actors is that it's unlikely we'll be able to be 100% respectful/honoring of Cyan's characters (NO offense intended to anyone). How can I explain...

Giving voices to characters who have never had them can create a lot of weirdness for fans (and for the creators of those characters) and needs to be handled really carefully, or it becomes cheesy without intending to. Trying to impart convincing drama using voice actors in front of home-quality microphones in separate rooms across the world is a very difficult thing to do.

This is just my opinion. You're under no obligation to pay heed. Or, you may simply see it as a challenge. :)

KI# 29337

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:51 pm 

I would normally say I'm in, but I'm too busy trying to invent the 30 hour day :P

But yeah, what Moeity Jean said. It's a great idea, you just need to handle it carefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:27 pm 

I'll add this: Music is everything. :)

Even if you don't use Myst-themed music in a Myst themed show, it can still be incredibly effective.

While you need skill on the voices, the ambient environment around them is just as important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, I may as well jump in here:

I've never actually made anything or given anything to the community, and I think that's a shame.

I have some experience in sound editing, and it's certainly something that I'd like to tinker with more. So, if we actually get a group of people together, and so long as the episodes aren't too regular (i.e. one or two per episode MAX), I'll volunteer as sound editor - I'd really enjoy it :D.

If anyone does show any interest in the other roles (as I cannot do any of the other things cited) let me know - PM me ;)

"Never put Dolby on snake detectors"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:19 pm 

Maybe I can host your files, if they turn out good. I can spare the bandwidth as long as I feel that it's really worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:57 pm 
I'm an actress with 4 years in radio (NPR). I'd like to be in it if parts are still open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:18 pm 

(found my other login)

I could also do Casting Director if that would help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ooh. Is there any interest in this project, still? Since I seem to have volunteers now for Sound Editor and Casting Director, the roles that I thought would be most problematic, I think there might be some hope. I volunteered myself as scriptmaker, but I don't want to put too much time into it if nobody will actually want to perform it.

This is the only Myst forum I belong to, so if any other communities are likely to be interested, please direct them to this thread.

Also, does anybody have any ideas for scenes that would be somewhat easy to do for our first attempt, yet still interesting enough to be worth listening to? I don't see any need to go in chronological order, since I'd like to attempt something from Scars eventually, but it's clearly not the best place to start. Might as well start with something from "Familiar Voices," since that's oddly appropriate. Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:11 am 

I'd be happy if there was even a TV show about URU and or Myst. I'd like to see a radio drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:27 am 
Obduction Backer

remember URU Radio is avaliable for broadcasting......

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]