It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:07 pm 

I must confess, I am NOT blind in either eye but I still can't see the 3d image thing. I have tried all the tricks I know to get it to work but so far, I still don't see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:20 pm 

A famous Architect named Michael Graves has a similar condition, that is, he can only use one eye. He compensates for this by moving side to side when looking at buildings which allows closer objects to appear to move faster than objects that are further away. This allows him to preceived depth. We all use 2d 'clues' which offer a sence of depth perception like atmosphere, perspective, level of detail, etc.

What are you missing? When one stands still in URU, everything looks like it is part of a painting, all users are experiencing this, using only the depth clues noted above to get a sence of depth. We all can get a sence of 3d by moving (I like to use my mouse to move as it is easier to look around while running). By using 2 images (one image for each eye) each eye sees something from a slightly different point of view. The brain merges these two images allowing us to see in 3d. This means you can sence that there is empty space between objects and that the objects aren't scrunched together like in 2d sight. Three-dimensional sight is the ability to recognise objects at different distances.

I hope this helps. Don't feel bad though, most people w/ good sight still can't see these images! :D It takes a bit of practice to view them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:27 pm 

Don't give up Mister Cloak...lol

This is not an easy thing to do... basically you're asking you brain to cross your eyes like you are looking at something close, but then asking your brain to focus on something that is further away. It took me about 3 weeks to be able to relax my lenses enough to see my first images in 3d while a friend of mine could do it right away. My guess is that you have good eye sight... my friend wore glasses.

try holding your finger in front of your face (about a foot away) and looking at it with the images beyond, but don't 'look' at the images, just be aware of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:50 am 

I hope you guys don't mind if I throw in a bit of my science knolege(typo) to explain how our amazing brain percives things in 3-D:

[spoiler=How 3-D works]Your eyes see things in 2-D. Each eye recives its own image beacause, as they are a few inches apart, they have a different point of view.

Your brain takes these images and combines them, adding a third dimension: depth. The object you are focusing on looks clear, but the rest looks fuzzy or double.

Images on a screen are flat, depth perception is not required. Tricks like backgrouds moving slower(like Arcuru pointed out) and shading can give the brain someting to work with.

In fact, each eye and there lenses can be warped to act like the focus on a camera: even with no depth perception, the brain can still see 3-D-ish. That optical trick worked quite well in Myst 4 :)

The images in this post are not 3-D, there flat. That's why you have to cross your eyes so much. Your brain creates only an ilusion of a 3-D object.[/spoiler]
Well, that was fun to write. I'm a bit of a smarty pants and I always love to share my knolege(dang!). Shorah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:34 pm 

hey! it works with a stareoptican! (u know, those Antique thingies with 2 pictures) i hav one, and i printed a pic out, and it actually works!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

URU works perfectly with the nvidea stereo drivers.
Its really awesome to see it 3D in real time.

I experimented with it already in the prologue.
I am using the old asus VR100 glasses.
Its a pity that the newer asus fx cards does not support the glasses anymore.
However there is a simple solution to this.

Look for details at http://stereo3d.com

In the homebrew sector you find out how to connect the vr100 glasses glasses to your video connector with a VGA-dongle.
Mind that it will not work with LCD monitors, only with the old CRT Tubes.

If you want another "out of the box" solution then look at edimensional:
http://edimensional.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
The edimensional glasses do support the ATI-cards and they do even support LCD displays. Download the manual for more info.

You also can download universal stereo drivers from their site.
( Proprietary ATI/Universal Drivers Version 4.25 (works on any video card))
have a look on this page:
https://edimensional.com/support_updates.php

Mirror assisted viewing (m stereo)
If you have two equal monitors you can use a dual monitor setup.
With the nvidea stereodrivers you can "mirror" one monitor.
now place a mirror vertically between the two momitors.
look with yoour right eye into this mirror and with the other eye directly to the second monitor.
Mirror assisted viewing (m stereo) requires one of the pictures to be flipped over. It returns to normal orientation when seen in a mirror. The normal image is looked at directly with one eye. The mirror is adjusted over the other eye until the two pictures superimpose.

This is far simpler than methods often described on the Internet such as liquid crystal shutters and flickering images. It will even work for moving pictures.

Now you see perfect 3D.
Better then this is not possible!!
More details here:
http://nzphoto.tripod.com/sterea/stereomirror.htm#Text

I Understand this sounds confusing.
A picture tell more then thousend words so please have a look here.
http://www.stereo3dgallery.net/abouts/3dc9_DualMonitorComplete.shtm
and here:
http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~cs234326/projects/mirror3D/mirror_3d_intro.htm

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:51 am 

denDwaler wrote:
If you want another "out of the box" solution then look at edimensional:
http://edimensional.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28
The edimensional glasses do support the ATI-cards and they do even support LCD displays. Download the manual for more info.

Do you know how well these actually work with a LCD monitor? I've read varying reviews, some saying they work great, some saying they don't work at all, others saying they work, but only with lots of tweaking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Do you know how well these actually work with a LCD monitor? I've read varying reviews, some saying they work great, some saying they don't work at all, others saying they work, but only with lots of tweaking...

Sorry, i don't know.
I have no experience with them.
I will try theire driver in combination with my old VR100 glasses in the near future and report the result.
Lets see what happens.
I actually did not use my shutterglasses since I have got an LCD.
The problem with the glasses is always the time between to become fully dark and fully transparent, that time of transition is to long, which results in ghosting.
The transition time should be no longer then the timegap (syncpuls) between flipping pages for the right and left eye..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:53 pm 

I got this message from Mowog and thought I'd share it w/ everyone, especially since Mowog has some great 3d stereo pairs in his link...

Also, thanks denDwaler, I've been doing some research based on your info and find it really fascinating. I especially like the mirror full screen trick. As far as full motion video 3d, there might be hope for my ATI x1900 vid card yet. Thanks, I'll post once I get a full solution I know that works, including any info I find for LCD's (which I'm hoping to upgrade to soon (30" maybe, i hope))

Quote:
I saw the stereo pair you're using in your signature, and thought you might like to have a look at my Uru stereo stuff:

http://www.ketcherside.net/uru_3d.htm

These are all crossed-eye pairs. Enjoy! For a while I actually played Uru in stereo, thanks to my eDimensional 3D glasses and the nVidia stereo drivers. That was amazing, but I lost that capability when I went to an LCD monitor.
See you later, Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

[Edit -- Arcuru and I just cross posted. Talk about timing...]

I only recently discovered Arcuru's 3D Uru images, and was thrilled to see them, because I got pretty deeply into the same thing during Prologue and UU. I posted some of my stereo image pairs HERE. You can also get browser plugins that let you view such pairs as red/blue, or "anaglyphic" stereo images.

I also played Uru using the nVidia stereo drivers for quite a while, and the effect is just striking. Viewing these still images with depth is a treat, but actually walking into that depth is amazing. And certain locations, such as the walkways to the vault in Kadish, are just unsettling.

I lost the ability to play in 3D when I went to a flat-panel monitor, but I now see that the eDimensional folks (manufacturers of my 3D glasses) have developed drivers for LCD monitors. See HERE. In effect, you use the nVidia stereo drivers for CRT monitors, but eDimensional's drivers for LCDs. Unfortunately, I get the impression that my older eDimensional glasses might not be compatible with the new LCD drivers. I need to do some more looking around.

Mowog