It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, we (meaning, we, the people running the SR & looting storyline as actors and writers--not we, meaning looters, and not me, meaning a person writing an IC perspective (which I am not doing--this is OOC)) held another looting event. Unlike our previous events, which went down as smoothly as a porcupine going down a drainpipe, this event went badly.
The idea was that the looters (meaning, the actors PORTRAYING the looters) were to meet in Eder Delin and chat about three pieces of information, 2 of which are included in the heavily edited chatlog shown below--we weren't able to get around to the third piece. At any rate, the Eder Delin plan was never brought to fruition. What actually happened was this: Us three actors (playing the characters Pedro Zapata, Pockets, DoubleTrouble, and Samantha Boyd) met in the main City. At this point I noticed that my fellow actors were completely invisible to me. Ignoring this foreboding omen, I relinked to the City and everything was fine again.
We all headed to Pockets' Relto for a quick debriefing, and then I (playing Pockets) dropped tips to various people. It was a quiet night, unfortunately, and by the time we were about scheduled to start, the explorer participants numbered two. Hurriedly I rushed about as another avatar, informing neighborhood residents of what was going on, a tactic which combined with our other efforts resulted in about 15 people heading to Amber Horizon's Eder Delin. So I headed to the Linking room of the Amber Horizon's Bevin to begin the event...And to my horror, the door was locked. Panic! On the spur of the moment I seized on an idea started by an explorer participant that the event was going to be held in the GoG neighborhood's Eder Delin and switched the event to there instead. (Sorry to the GoG for holding this kind of event in your Bevin--I figured that we would be in your Delin and wouldn't bother you.)

And so, many of the explorer participants and the actor portraying DoubleTrouble headed over there and arrived safely in the GoG Delin. I, playing Pedro Zapata, also headed to the GoG's linking room to complete the planned rendezvous--and horror of horrors, the Linking Room door was locked again! I should also note that the audience showed a truly impressive display of self censorship, quickly silencing those who talked aloud lest any looter who might be in their midst were to discover them. But at this point, murmurs of disquiet were being openly voiced. The only thing to do was to feed lines to DoubleTrouble (meaning, the actor PORTRAYING DoubleTrouble) in Eder Delin. A rather embarrassing monologue on DoubleTrouble's (meaning, the actor PORTRAYING DoubleTrouble's) part followed--mostly complaints regarding Pedro the looter character's lateness. Not knowing about the Linking Room door bug at the time, I wished to commit severe bodily harm against the two Bevin members who had (whether through sheer maliciousness--which seemed most likely at the time--or simple ignorance) locked their linking rooms' doors on us not once, but twice. NOOOOOO!
By this time I was in a frenzied panic. There were no GoG members around to open the doors for me, and so we just figured "Forget the Eder!" and we changed the meeting place to the GoG Bevin itself. This went alright, except that between the Egg room sound buffer and my own inability to remember to use /shout, the dialogue was rather disjointed. At any rate, it wasn't long before Andy Legate showed up suddenly behind me with a bunch of other explorers and I was forced to follow the motivations of my character Pedro Zapata and link away. Again, my apologies to the Greeter who showed up so shortly after we needed them--I will never hold another event in your Bevin, no matter what the circumstances.
Also around this time, one of the plants we had placed in the audience lost the ability to receive Age Chat and could only receive sporadic pms, which was a bad thing because it made it harder to lead the audience. We decided to try to give holding the rendezvous one last shot, and moved to Jazz's Bevin, where we were shortly discovered by explorers, and very shortly spooked (meaning, the actors followed the motivations of their characters (e.g. the desire not to be apprehended) and linked away). Emotionally drained, and very irritated at the "horrible, horrible people responsible for locking the Linking room doors," I wondered if it might be possible to advertise for a hitman on the MOUL forums at the same time I made the OOC announcement post.
Amazingly enough, I believe several explorer participants enjoyed this fiasco--er, event. And here is a link to a heavily edited chatlog of the event, from the perspective of Andy Legate. Please note that unlike this post, this chatlog is an IC chatlog; however, this chatlog is in no way, shape, or form intended to introduce IC roleplaying to this OOC forum. Those wishing to indulge in IC roleplaying may do so at the IC DRC forum where this chatlog is located.
http://forums.drcsite.org/viewtopic.php?t=2419

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Hood doors being flaky goes back to prologue. Any server problem and the relto and 'hood doors get reset closed. Only a 'hood member can re-open them.

Can I suggest on that basis that at least one IC avi is always a member of a 'hood that you want to perform in?

I don't think that IC in the GoG 'hood is a good idea though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Hood doors being flaky goes back to prologue. Any server problem and the relto and 'hood doors get reset closed. Only a 'hood member can re-open them.

Wrong. With this new bug even hood members cannot open the doors. And although it looks like a server side bug it is in the client side files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, it has been quite frustrating to be one of the 'hood members and not be able to open the door!!

I have had it happen a few times now... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's happened to me a few times too in the U.K. Explorers. I relto out and then come back in thru the Nexus. That seems to fix the problem. Still a pain in the whatsit though. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:00 am 
Obduction Backer

What a good idea, creating your own story line and acting it out. Wish I'd been there.

Pity about the doors.

/thinks Can you add a message to a KI age invite ?

Then you could send mystrious crypic messages via the KI inviting ppl to your choose location to make sure they get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, we tried sending invites in our first looting event and it didn't go so well... It was a slow process, adding all the KI numbers, and then sending invites, and people got tired of waiting for their invitation and left, plus the possibility for making typos in the KI numbers too. But I suppose that it might work if we had enough time to do it and enough people were sufficiently interested that they were willing to go through the invite process. The message idea isn't half bad... We might just give that a shot sometime. One of the problems with informing people verbally is that the information you give out is subject to decay because people only pass on part of what you tell them. For instance, you might tell someone, "Be in hiding by 3:45 in Kadish, and don't come late or you'll scare the looters off." The person will say aloud to their fellow explorers: "They're meeting at 3:45 in Kadish. They want us to hide." And sure enough, some uninformed latecomer will arrive and spook the looters off. Actually, if you have a large group the looters will probably link in to find at least one person in plain view, possibly with no clue about what's going on. :P But with a KI message, the suggestion not to come late could be passed along without decay and everyone could get the same info.... Hm...

And thanks a lot for the tip, Dichromus--you can bet I'll try that next time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

When you open your KI don't you get a long list of "recent" players which already has thier KI numbers in it?

You could either use that to invite ppl randomly or find the KI numbers for those you want to invite (presuming you've been on at the same time as them in the past). Though I must admit the list jumps about a bit when there's a lot of ppl on.