It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ahnonay Wallpaper
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:38 pm 

A few subtle modifications. Enjoy.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

KI #140389 | Unbound Hearts | Twitter | Tumblr | Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:10 pm 

its great! and the quab is a nice touch!

Momentai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow! That's awesome! I love the design of the text and the symbol. Very professional and classy. Cyan, hire this person! (seriously though, that's exactly the kind of style I'd want for official Myst related graphics, like for posters and wallpapers and such)

Do you have a larger high-res version?

Oh, and I humbly suggest sending the design to those at MystWear. This should be a poster graphic!

(I'd also recommend purely for aesthetic reasons, to remove or reduce the black gradient border to better show the Age's beauty)

I also see that the image was taken without or little antialising. I'd suggest taking it again with that setting at max. (yeah, it will lag, but pictures don't move :P )

Seriously though, antialise it and send it in.

/me can't wait to have it on his wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:06 am 

Heh... wow. Thank you.

Unfortunately, 1280x800 is the best my little laptop can manage. Same with the anti-aliasing, or lack thereof. If someone can provide a higher-quality screenshot, I'd be happy to put it through the same process.

I'm hardly a qualified graphic designer, though. This is just the result of some mucking about in Photoshop 6.0 yesterday afternoon; if I were going to submit it professionally, I'd have spent more time on the effects (like the lighting curve, which, as you pointed out, looks like a messy gradient border in the upper-left).

But. Really, I'm flattered, and if I can get my hands on a better base screenshot, I'll do it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:26 am 

I'll PM you the URL for a nice high-res lossless screenshot I took in the same location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:52 pm 

I'm working with the screenshot that Tesseract generously provided (thank you again!), but does anyone also have a high-res screenshot of a quab from the side? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:38 pm 

I love it! So much so that I made it my desktop :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:39 pm 

Wow..well done Kaleri. I agree with Yali that the text and the Ahnonay symbol is perfect nor does it hinder this majestic view. I would like a copy of this when your done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:11 pm 

Kaelri: http://www.jasonbaskett.com/Modelling.htm If you scroll down on the left, he's got some pretty large shots of his quab model.

[ Pryftan Wing ]
MOUL KI #: 7107443
MOULagain KI #: 91132

Guild of Writers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:25 pm 

Alright. I'm still in the market for a good quab shot. But in the meantime, I've just imported the same quab from the original, and I think I might just like it better.

In case anyone was wondering, the effects here include:

- 25% desaturation.
- Faint "watercolor" and "rough pastel" filters.
- Diagonal lighting gradient, followed by a brightness reduction and contrast increase.
- Burn enhancements on 23 lights and 2 segments of the railing (of which I'm most proud).
- The quab. I was worried about making him smaller and moving him to a less prominent position, but I think the color contrast is still effective.

Anyway. How's this, Yali?

[spoiler][Replaced. See spoiler tag below.][/spoiler]

Edit:Ah. Excellent. Thank you, Pryftan. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:33 pm 

Alright. With thanks again to Pryftan (not to mention Jason Baskett), I think this'll do it.

I put a lot more effort into the quab integration this time around, including proper lighting angles and shadows under each of the quab's legs. ;)

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:21 pm 

Gorgeous - definitely using it.

I love how it ends up looking like the quab's walking across my taskbar ;D

[ Pryftan Wing ]
MOUL KI #: 7107443
MOULagain KI #: 91132

Guild of Writers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:57 pm 

I know next to nothing about graphics, so please take pity on me and use small words.

When I right click on the image here and choose "Set at background", the image appears ... uhm... squeezed? on my computer screen. Is there a way to fix that? It's still beautiful, but it's better with the proper aspect ratio. A setting on my display properties perhaps?

It's gorgeous... I love it. Thank you, Kaelri!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow! Amazing! The quab is especially well done.

Couple things, though:

I'd suggest brightening the image just a tad to make it more visually striking. I think, also, reducing some of the effects like the pastel and watercolor would better depict the Age and its natural awesomeness.

Right now the image is beautiful and the graphical details are marvelous, but it doesn't hit me in the face with a big "OMG!". I have a couple Riven posters and those have no photoshopped effects at all. All they have are the image and maybe some text, and they're quite powerful and striking designs because of that - because your attention is fixated on the gorgeous render. All that to say that the most striking and beautiful wallpapers and posters all have simplicity and iconography as their key elements, and nothing more, and hence the image would be a lot more visually stunning and engrossing if the screenshot became the soul center of the graphic (of course the quab would always be a nice touch).

btw, I love the use of text. What font is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:16 pm 

T'kira wrote:
Quote:
When I right click on the image here and choose "Set at background", the image appears ... uhm... squeezed? on my computer screen. Is there a way to fix that?

Right click on your desktop and you'll get a small window. Select Properties and then Desktop. You have 3 choice on how to display your wallpaper, Center, Tile or Stretch. Select Center, that will center the image on your desktop with out distorting it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next