It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:48 pm 

Yali:

First, the Photoshop filters are extremely subtle. The watercolor layer, for example, was literally brought down to about 5% visibility. Its primary use was not as an artistic element, but to remove the few remaining pixelated spots. (Kind of like simulated anti-aliasing.) I think that, if you do a side-by-side comparison of the wallpaper and the original screenshot, the difference will be nearly undetectable, even when you're looking for it. I think you'll agree, therefore, that the Age's beauty is hardly obscured. ;)

As for the lighting, I'm worried that it's a bit late to revise that. My original concept for the edit was basically a night shot, which allowed me to highlight the spectacular array of lights on the edifice. I made sure that the brightness of the new version was about even with the original, which did seem to "hit you in the face," so I guess I just wish you'd said something earlier.

I would honestly say that the same priorities of "simplicity and iconography" guided me here. I have not edited the appearance of Cyan's original work, only the conditions in which it appears. And every step I took after that point was meant to integrate the rest of the image, to make it seem more natural, more like how it would have been in-game under the same conditions, so that, as you propose, the focus remains on the content, not on any jarring differences. (I suppose the obvious exception here is the quab. But it was important to me that even that was not a gratuitous easter egg, but a fully integrated element of the image. I wanted it too look like it was there in the original shot, and frankly I'm proud of the result.) It sounds to me, Yali, like what you're really looking for is the original render. ;) I'd be happy to whip up a version of that with the text and logo for you. Past that, I'm afraid it may be the fundamental concept of this project that diverges with your interests.

Nonetheless, I have tried a slightly brighter version in the hopes that it will please you. In my opinion, it's inferior to the previous version, which is the one I've sent to MystWear, but your points aren't invalid, so I thought I'd give it one more shot.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The font, by the way, is Calibri.

And thank you to everyone else for your comments and encouragement. :)

KI #140389 | Unbound Hearts | Twitter | Tumblr | Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Actually, that's perfect. I think the brightness really does help. I experimented with switching desktop backgrounds between the two, and the last one cut it perfectly. :D

Kudos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:31 am 

I notice that the image doesn't have an embedded colour profile. Perhaps that is why it looks too dark to some people. To me it looks much darker than it does in-game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Kaelri, that was an excellent shot to start with, and your "slightly brighter" version nailed it for me! (Others' mileage will of course vary :) )

You might consider sending both to MystWear. I haven't ordered anything myself (yet!) but from what I've read here and there, their process sometimes makes things come out darker than expected. The lighter one might actually turn out more to your liking.

I've always enjoyed spacey Ahnonay. Until it was displaced today by your awesome wallpaper, this view has been my desktop for almost 3 years; I never got tired of it. I was finally able to go back in MOUL and take a picture with my "better camera:"
[spoiler=Click to view image]EDIT-- If you don't see a picture, try right-clicking the "X" icon and select "Show Picture". If anyone knows why this is happening, please drop me a PM, thanks!
It's reversed to work better wtih my desktop layout.[/spoiler]

Last edited by pigbristles on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:47 pm 

Your pic isn't loading Pigbristles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Strange... I get no image when logged in in on another PC but it works fine from the one I used to post it. Maybe that's the IE7 "phishing filter" kicking in. I promise you it's not a dodgy link! If you right-click the no-picture icon and select "Show Picture" it ought to show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:17 am 

pigbristles wrote:
Strange... I get no image when logged in in on another PC but it works fine from the one I used to post it. Maybe that's the IE7 "phishing filter" kicking in. I promise you it's not a dodgy link! If you right-click the no-picture icon and select "Show Picture" it ought to show up.

It requires having cookies enabled. I wasn't sure why I had cookies blocked for comcast.net but was reminded when I viewed another thread: 21 cookie pop-ups to deal with when loading the page. Cookies are once again blocked for comcast. :D

Now more on target: i too prefer your latest version, Kaelri. Shows much more detail.

I figured the light/dark issue was really an LCD/CRT issue because of an LCD's lack of contrast not showing areas as dark(less gradient). I reckon about 80% of the screenshots posted on the various Myst websites are too dark to view on my CRT. Tesseract may be correct that it's due to a lack of a color profile.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2