It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:38 am 

Hello! I just wrote a IC walkthrough thingy for the very first minutes of Uru. Tell me what you think of it. Constructive critisim is encourage. :)
The guide is ment as a creative text, but contains some spoilers (it is a walkthrough, after all.)
Now in Word doc format!
Microsoft Word Version

Last edited by Vince_Game on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:31 am 

good work :) I can only guess how much time you put into it. You do a good job in several places of walking the person through what they have to do. I like the explanation of why there is not much to do in (the public instance of) Gahreesen. Also you do a good job of explaining the nexus and how it works.

Still I did notice a few weaknesses:
-I would avoid talk of changing neighborhoods or making your own. This is valuable information, but not relevant to a person's first visit.
-I feel uneasy about the line "you should already know about linking books" in the first paragraph. It might be better to assume that they know nothing. You could actually just remove the line since you explain quite well how to use the linking book.
-The classroom is a useful place to visit, you may want to include it in your guide (possibly before they use the Gahreesen book)
-I think precise directions to reach the book room in your Bevin would be appropriate. You can get a bit lost, and while discovering things for yourself is one of the joys of Uru, the point of a guide is to be as informative as possible.
-When you tell them to use the Gahreesen book, in addition to saying it is on the far left, you might include a description of what should be seen in the linking panel so people can be sure they have the correct one.
-I think in Gahreesen you should describe exactly how to get to the KI machine. I know you can't get lost, but the tone of this guide seems to make such help appropriate.
-It is my opinion that your guide should finish with explaining clearly how to reach the Guild of Greeters Bevin and A Beginner's Bevin. People in those two places can be of most help with any future needs the new explorer might have.
-You may also want to point them to the cleft book as a typical starting place for their exploration.

Overall good work. I hope my comments are helpful.

MOULa KI: 00214606

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:13 am 

This is good stuff, Vince. Clearly written and organized.

I'd add a comment about the book in the right-hand bookshelf in Relto. The information there is cryptic but important, and gives the names of the basic Ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:44 pm 

Thanks for your feedback! Ill make a revised version soon. The reason I didn't talk about the cleft or journey ages is that I was going to make a Journey age walkthrough as well. My long term goal is to make a whole bunch and keep them updated as the game progresses. :) Thanks again for all the tips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:56 pm 

I cannot get Myst Online-Visitor's Guide.docx to work.

I cannot open it as is.
Renaming it to *.doc is not good either.
I could rename it to *.zip and unzip the file, resulting in some xml files. But those will only open in an editor instead of showing a Word doc.

What am I missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:59 pm 

Oh got it now - you saved it in Word 2007! I suggest saving it in Word 2003 or earlier format if you would like many readers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:34 pm 

Great work! :)

As I was (apparently) your biggest critic, now I will say I am a big fan. As I looked over it, I realized that it fits well with the information already present in cavern (people should be able to find the classroom and the book room based on the signs, but people will have no idea what Gahreesen is).

So again, good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:37 pm 

There is an upgrade on the microsoft site for opening word 2007 docs in word 2003. I dont know how to save it as a 2003, but I'll find out.
Quote:
but people will have no idea what Gahreesen is

I added a photo in my new word version.
Ki guide comming soon(i dont mean soon, i mean I'm working on it). I wonder how I will add emotes in an IC fashion? :shock:
Ill think of something :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:56 am 

did my comment come out wrong? :?

I meant your guide works well, because it relies on the IC things that are already there, like the signs to get to the classroom and the book room, yet adds things that are not explained, like the way you explain what Gahreesen is.

Sorry for any confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:26 am 

I suggest publishing your guide in a standard format, like html or PDF.
MS Word is a non-standard, propretary format.
There is a free program called PDFcreator which works perfectly. very easy to use (just print from Word to PDF creator).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]