It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Suggestion. In order to drum up good press, get strangers interested in URU, make the fan base and CYAN relevant to the mainstream and have lots of fun let's start an ARG (Alternate Reality Game) We will do this using journey cloths, glow in the dark paint, and wheat paste.

RALLY!

PS: If any one gives me a large JPEG or GIF of a Journey Cloth I will start doing this myself and start posting. But I need encouragement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Location-based_game

My original Thread
http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0

PICTURES so far:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

So I have taken my first steps on this project. We took some pictures of Journey Cloths around the West Village. I think they look good but I haven't gotten them back form my photographer yet. Right now I just have images of them around the city and I haven't made a game of it yet. Not the sort of thing that I would do alone. Also I haven't made a real Journey Cloth yet, just using large print outs cut to look like just a cloth with no paper around it. The end goal is to form something that would get people who haven't played the game to be interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:24 pm 

I make real journey cloths.

See this recent topic:

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13795

:)

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow, I wish I had found that thread earlier. When I look at these two images it seems like the edges are made out of clay. Also there is wear and faded cloth behind the hand/shell.

I would pay $50 for a cloth like the one below. With greater detailed edges and thinner. If that's not enough contact me via PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm 

The JC's in-game are made from Burlap, which is what I make my journey cloths out of.

The JC picture you show at the bottom of your email looks like it is made out of burlap also, its hard to tell. The fraying on the edges is classic burlap look.

I've only made JC's out of burlap so far, but I'm willing to give a thinner version a try :) Muslin or a gossamer linen might work.

I was planning on hitting the fabric store today anyhow, so I can pick up a couple pieces of fabric to test on to see which will work best.

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't know what those words mean but if you think they would make a JC that looks more like those big JC gifs from the game or the thin one they cool. Also do you know what I mean when I say that the Shell Journey Cloths look like the edges are made out of clay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:17 pm 

Burlap is a type of cloth.

yes, the Shell cloth edges do sort of look like clay from that picture, but if you look very closely you can see the frayed threads (best shown at the top and bottom of the cloth), so its just a lighter color of burlap cloth.

Burlap cloth is a cheaper option, but like I said, I'm willing to experiment with thinner cloth if that is what you wish. :)

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think the "clay" (the gradient gray border) is an image display artifact. It's the alpha channel fading out, but it's fading to gray even though the image background is black.

Possibly a confusion between premultiplied alpha and not, or the alpha channel is just getting lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 pm 

That too :lol:

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have a fair amount of experience with ARGs. I've run two semi-successful games as a PM (which is ARG-speak for basically a game leader). My initial reaction is that this could make a really really great game. Real-world interaction (anything that gets people up from their computers) is generally the sign of an ARG that will be really successful.

I also think that Cyan probably wouldn't have any problem with us doing a journey cloth ARG, but we may want to talk to Cyan first. Most likely they'll give it a thumbs up, due to the great grassroots-campaign press.

As to actual gameplay dynamics, I think a cool concept would be to set up trails of JC's across major cities in the US or other countries (NYC would be a must of course, and San Fransisco would probably be good as well, since there is a huge ARG community there. Maybe also Chicago, and if possible one in the UK, where there's also a large ARG community).

We could set up a GPS trail using mscape, a program which I have a moderate level of competency with. The drawback is that the trail must be downloaded before it can be used, so that greatly diminishes the "stumble upon" aspect. The other option would be to develop our own GPS trail technology, the drawback clearly being that it is more difficult, and ultimately expensive and time consuming.

Each of the trails could consist of 7 journeycloths set out throughout the city. Using mscape, it is possible to play an audio sample, show a picture, or play a video when each new location has been reached. As players go to each location, they could receive a page from Yeesha's journal, or a note from her (I don't think that we'll be able to get original audio samples from Cyan, unless they're feeling really really nice). I don't know what the journals should say; perhaps they recount the events in Uru so far, about the Bahro war, etc.

If we want to give a more ARG feel to it, we could have the journals contain elements of a puzzle/puzzles (perhaps 1 per city, or several puzzles with clues spread out over several cities, to force collaboration (which leads to discussion, which leads to excitement, which leads to buzz = good)). Once the puzzles are solved, they would need to be entered into a site to receive a reward, or maybe they lead to new locations with rewards there (maybe we hide a Yeesha Shirt once they're released on Myst Wear?).

So there are my thoughts on an ARG. I could probably deal with the ARG aspects of this if it gets off the ground.

Oh, and a side note - if we do launch an ARG for this, we'd probably want to delete this whole thread. It's an ARG thing called "the curtain" :) .

-AtionSong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:19 am 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
I think the "clay" (the gradient gray border) is an image display artifact. It's the alpha channel fading out, but it's fading to gray even though the image background is black.

Possibly a confusion between premultiplied alpha and not, or the alpha channel is just getting lost.

Actually when i am talking about clay I am talking about the thick blue border betwean the cloth where the print is and the fraid cloth. It is yellow on the round ones and red on the square ones. The clay/wax seems to be red and have black triangles inlaid in it on the square/rectangle JCs and be blue/yellow with Aztec/Greek type designs inlaid into the round ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:22 am 
Obduction Backer

AtionSong wrote:
[spoiler]I have a fair amount of experience with ARGs. I've run two semi-successful games as a PM (which is ARG-speak for basically a game leader). My initial reaction is that this could make a really really great game. Real-world interaction (anything that gets people up from their computers) is generally the sign of an ARG that will be really successful.

I also think that Cyan probably wouldn't have any problem with us doing a journey cloth ARG, but we may want to talk to Cyan first. Most likely they'll give it a thumbs up, due to the great grassroots-campaign press.

As to actual gameplay dynamics, I think a cool concept would be to set up trails of JC's across major cities in the US or other countries (NYC would be a must of course, and San Fransisco would probably be good as well, since there is a huge ARG community there. Maybe also Chicago, and if possible one in the UK, where there's also a large ARG community).

We could set up a GPS trail using mscape, a program which I have a moderate level of competency with. The drawback is that the trail must be downloaded before it can be used, so that greatly diminishes the "stumble upon" aspect. The other option would be to develop our own GPS trail technology, the drawback clearly being that it is more difficult, and ultimately expensive and time consuming.

Each of the trails could consist of 7 journeycloths set out throughout the city. Using mscape, it is possible to play an audio sample, show a picture, or play a video when each new location has been reached. As players go to each location, they could receive a page from Yeesha's journal, or a note from her (I don't think that we'll be able to get original audio samples from Cyan, unless they're feeling really really nice). I don't know what the journals should say; perhaps they recount the events in Uru so far, about the Bahro war, etc.

If we want to give a more ARG feel to it, we could have the journals contain elements of a puzzle/puzzles (perhaps 1 per city, or several puzzles with clues spread out over several cities, to force collaboration (which leads to discussion, which leads to excitement, which leads to buzz = good)). Once the puzzles are solved, they would need to be entered into a site to receive a reward, or maybe they lead to new locations with rewards there (maybe we hide a Yeesha Shirt once they're released on Myst Wear?).

So there are my thoughts on an ARG. I could probably deal with the ARG aspects of this if it gets off the ground.

Oh, and a side note - if we do launch an ARG for this, we'd probably want to delete this whole thread. It's an ARG thing called "the curtain" :) .

-AtionSong[/spoiler]

So I was thinking each JC warp point has some sort of clue graphed nearby. That clue leads to the next. The last JC some how would either be a reward itself or lead to a place where you can exchange all 7 for a reward. Maybe we could place the JCs in places which are unaccesable, but that would be dangerous as people will find ways to climb or whatever and grab them. The main goal as I see it is to blur the line between the journey in URU and the journey in real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:12 pm 

In the game, the materials Yeesha used to make the shell cloths were burlap cloth dyed the appropriate colors, black embroidery thread and blue glow paint.

Whether or not she used her yeesha magic to make them or she made them by hand is still a mystery :lol:

The aztec-like designs on the borders are embroidered.

For the sake of cost effectiveness, I use black marker to draw on the burlap so it looks like it is embroidered (plus it is really difficult to embroider on burlap)

~Kia

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]