It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:47 am 
Obduction Backer

My friend Matt had to do a 2-min video for a school project, so we put together a fun little romp through the game. We only had 3 days to storyboard, shoot, and edit, so, needless to say, it's no Citizen Kane. But we had fun with it, and hope you do too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1RT0ERae5o

Bryan: 00120717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:59 am 

that's pretty good for 3 days, I especially liked the end of it there. From an artistic standpoint, and this is something that if you want to get into this a little more seriously would help to really liven up this piece even more is doing more segues like the one at the end only with the URU content and time more stuff to the music too. And when the video first starts up with the URU clips it is a little confusing as it shows the avi with the white shirt instead of the other avi, if you ever redo it, you could have the URU clips begin with a view of that avi linking to Minkata via the book in the Library to make it flow more easily. But overall, it's a pretty good clip for a 3 day project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Hey RLU, I liked it a lot.
It shows the fun you had doin' it too. Real nice piece for a school project. AND you got MOUL some exposure. Maybe more explorers coming. Good for everybody ! Yaaayyyyy !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:52 am 
Obduction Backer

That was a really cool choice of music and video! Good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Mister Cloak wrote:
that's pretty good for 3 days, I especially liked the end of it there. From an artistic standpoint, and this is something that if you want to get into this a little more seriously would help to really liven up this piece even more is doing more segues like the one at the end only with the URU content and time more stuff to the music too. And when the video first starts up with the URU clips it is a little confusing as it shows the avi with the white shirt instead of the other avi, if you ever redo it, you could have the URU clips begin with a view of that avi linking to Minkata via the book in the Library to make it flow more easily. But overall, it's a pretty good clip for a 3 day project.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. What actually happened was, we had a much, much more elaborate film we wanted to do, with a serious tone, and a story to it, in which Matt (black shirt) linked in to the game world and rescued me (Bryan, white shirt). There was more RL footage, a LOT more game footage, and audio dialogue we recorded. We had about an hour and a half worth of footage, 45 minutes of which we wanted to use. We cut out every single thing that wasn't absolutely necessary and we still had 12 minutes worth of stuff, with a 2-minute time limit. At the tail end of an all-nighter, with about 3 hours to go before he had to turn it in, we decided to completely change directions with the concept, and just make it this fun, silly, virtual playground idea.

We had trouble getting shots from Matt's perspective because of lag, especially in my ages, which we filmed in primarily. We couldn't really use the shots of him materializing in the age because of some graphical glitches. Sometimes he would just appear without materializing, and other times he would materialize as some default avatar, which completely different features, and then instantly become his real avatar.

As much as we would've liked to have gone back in and changed things, and fixed things, and added things, we ultimately decided that perfectionism was too slippery of a slope. But we're hoping that we can learn a lot from all of it and maybe make a new one one day. Or better yet, inspire someone else to do their own cool thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:05 am 

There's a Minkata linking book ir local library? :shock:

Awesome video! :D

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:11 pm 

That was fun. I especially liked the ending, and was laughing out loud. The soccer ball was a great touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's an amazing and funny piece of video, RLU, thanks for sharing... :D

Great ideas implemented and the music is wonderful and fits very well...
And yes, I also like the ending best as you don't expect this to happen
and the soccer ball tops it all... /thumbsup... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

RushLimbaughUnderstands wrote:
We couldn't really use the shots of him materializing in the age because of some graphical glitches. Sometimes he would just appear without materializing, and other times he would materialize as some default avatar, which completely different features, and then instantly become his real avatar.

Yep, yep... this is a minor little bug but one I've seen many times. To accomplish a "materialize" with video from Uru, the easiest solution is to use the same trick you used to "dematerialize" in the real world library. ;)

But still, although the end video's "character" is much different from what you originally planned, it really came out nice, and I thought the pacing was good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:52 pm 

RushLimbaughUnderstands wrote:
Mister Cloak wrote:

Hey, thanks for the feedback. What actually happened was, we had a much, much more elaborate film we wanted to do, with a serious tone, and a story to it, in which Matt (black shirt) linked in to the game world and rescued me (Bryan, white shirt). There was more RL footage, a LOT more game footage, and audio dialogue we recorded. We had about an hour and a half worth of footage, 45 minutes of which we wanted to use. We cut out every single thing that wasn't absolutely necessary and we still had 12 minutes worth of stuff, with a 2-minute time limit. At the tail end of an all-nighter, with about 3 hours to go before he had to turn it in, we decided to completely change directions with the concept, and just make it this fun, silly, virtual playground idea.

We had trouble getting shots from Matt's perspective because of lag, especially in my ages, which we filmed in primarily. We couldn't really use the shots of him materializing in the age because of some graphical glitches. Sometimes he would just appear without materializing, and other times he would materialize as some default avatar, which completely different features, and then instantly become his real avatar.

As much as we would've liked to have gone back in and changed things, and fixed things, and added things, we ultimately decided that perfectionism was too slippery of a slope. But we're hoping that we can learn a lot from all of it and maybe make a new one one day. Or better yet, inspire someone else to do their own cool thing.

Ah, I understand. ^_^ been there, done that. Still a nice piece of work man, hopefully one of these days you can put together the video the way it was meant to be and show us your true vision for the work ay? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marten wrote:
To accomplish a "materialize" with video from Uru, the easiest solution is to use the same trick you used to "dematerialize" in the real world library. ;)

What do you mean? That wasn't a trick. Matt actually dematerialized. If we knew how to fake it, we wouldn't have bothered studying quantum physics every day for 18 months leading up to the project. Interesting suggestion, though. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for all the positive and constructive feedback on the video guys!

I am the "dude in the black shirt" who created the movie along with RLU =).

As he said the movie is not nearly the movie we wanted it to be, but the time limit really restricted us in what we could do. I think for it only being 2 mins it really turned out well. Hopefully sometime in the near future we can build upon what we have learned in making this movie and make an even longer/better movie. Who knows, we might even get to include our horrible dialog next time around :lol:.

As for the soccer ball at the end, that really was a nice touch which RLU thought up. It was funny though cause we had to think of various ways to get to drop with us both laying on the floor. So we had to get a defenseless library assistant to perform what I am sure seemed like a completely insane task. As here we were throwing ourselves down onto the library floor and then for some strange reason we wanted a soccer ball thrown at us, hahaha.

Anyway thats about all I have to say, except that the original idea for this movie came from our good friend Kyle. Then we stole his idea and destroyed it completely. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:45 pm 

d1sCo_d3aTh wrote:
Thanks for all the positive and constructive feedback on the video guys!

I am the "dude in the black shirt" who created the movie along with RLU =).

As he said the movie is not nearly the movie we wanted it to be, but the time limit really restricted us in what we could do. I think for it only being 2 mins it really turned out well. Hopefully sometime in the near future we can build upon what we have learned in making this movie and make an even longer/better movie. Who knows, we might even get to include our horrible dialog next time around :lol:.

As for the soccer ball at the end, that really was a nice touch which RLU thought up. It was funny though cause we had to think of various ways to get to drop with us both laying on the floor. So we had to get a defenseless library assistant to perform what I am sure seemed like a completely insane task. As here we were throwing ourselves down onto the library floor and then for some strange reason we wanted a soccer ball thrown at us, hahaha.

Anyway thats about all I have to say, except that the original idea for this movie came from our good friend Kyle. Then we stole his idea and destroyed it completely. :wink:

Maybe time to get involved in "the Myst movie" that threatens to come into existence from time to time - make sure at least one scene has a soccer ball in it somewhere! :D

She's quite, quite mad, you know (sadly shaking head)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:39 pm 

Really Funny, Specially the end, it makes me too much laugh.Thanks for laughing me.