It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:19 pm 

I managed to catch hold of Quin when he finally returned from his trip away. It seems he spent the time in the research libraries of Caledon, the city to the south of the wilder country of Winterfell.

He didn't stay long, though. He worked day and night on a project in the base of the tower in the southwest corner of the island of Winterfell Reverie. It had some sort of machinery there (we're not sure what its original purpose was). Quin has adapted this to power a 'cage' mechanism similar to one in the spheres' source world, in what we think might be a temple on the island of Deepwater*. He's not told me of his exact plans -- he has been very evasive of late.

Once the machinery was running relatively smoothly (the sounds it is making suggests that it might not be all THAT smoothly), he took off again.

* OOC: The island was named back in February, before the oil disaster happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:50 pm 

I am very interested in hearing of progress in the Cavern. Obviously things have been quiet of late, but it is good to see the Guilds themselves working in the DRC's absence. :)

I'm busy in projects of my own at the moment, but I look forward to the day I free up enough time to visit this Neolbah site - perhaps it is best to wait until Andy and his team are finished?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:00 pm 

To: Nye Sigismund
Subject: Progress in restoring Neolbah

Shorah, Nye

Thanks for the note -- it's always good to hear from an explorer colleague. My apologies for the delay in replying.

Progress in restoring Neolbah has slowed a little during this last week. Andy left me a note that he has been called away to some urgent business on the surface, but he hopes to be back at work here sometime next week.

In the meantime, I've been concentrating on putting together the first of the journals I hope to store in the little office.

As to visiting Neolbah, the area is stable enough, though it might be wise to wear a maintainer suit just in case (GoMa's Frisky Badger is very keen on health and safety). You might find it interesting to see how the restoration progresses in the months to come.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Dot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:49 am 

Finally got the what I call "Maintenance" door open! Then had yet more D'ni tech to face.....sigh....

Good news is that I got it working.....er........uhm...in a "This Is Really Jury-Rigged" sort of way, heh.

Problem is, I had to reset the door code.....and if you enter the wrong one, the power resets on it! Just can't figure it out.....

Ah well.

I did remember to leave a note to Dot on her desk down there with the code. So she and any other visitor should be okay.

Now I've got to get back to the surface and the other project that I'm working on......

Now where did I leave my coffee cup???

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 pm 

Quite a bit has been happening since Andy wrote that note.

First, in Winterfell Reverie, it seems that Quin's experiments in the base of the tower are beginning to bear fruit. I snuck across the other day, and found that a small seed sphere has started to form at the centre of the cage mechanism. I later discovered that Quin must have been in Winterfell Reverie at some time (he didn't bother to get in touch at all), for he has uploaded a photo of the sphere to Flickr:

Then kaelisebonrai popped by to ask if some maintainers might inspect the area of the cavern he has been working on. It was obviously a pub area, and he has done excellent work in repairing and restoring it. He has sorted out and cleaned the tables and chairs, installed rather nice banners and lighting to cheer the place up, and got the imagers working to a point -- they are displaying static at the moment, but I've no doubt that he and his colleagues will be able to coax them back into service, even after all these years. The shelves behind the bar area are sadly empty -- but that might be just as well while inspections are taking place!

On my return from inspection duties there was a letter from Paislee placed on my desk:
Quote:
Dear Dot,

It is out of a growing concern that I write to you today. Our dear friend Quin has been very much in my thoughts of late.

I know from your journal (and our conversations as well) that he has been based in Winterfell since the loss of our dear Devokan and subsequent journey to this new world. I suspect that he has fallen into a depression. Even at his busiest he always managed to visit briefly to check on the inn and to keep up with events.

I fear he has been missing far too long from his friends. I miss his visits... and I do worry for his well-being. Did you know I chanced upon him once outside his cottage? I called to him, but he didn't seem to hear me calling. He looked as if he didn't want to be bothered.

Perhaps some day soon you could visit Hilltop House and we could share some tea. I'd very much like to share my concerns with you in person. Perhaps we can devise a plan to encourage Quin. As you know, there are some unusual things here in this new world.... Things which I believe Quin would find interesting.

Hoping to visit with you soon.

As always, with this letter comes with my best wishes!

Regards,
Paislee

So it looks as though I am not the only one worrying about Quin's state of mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:27 pm 

Over the weekend I managed to spend a little time with Paislee at Curiosity, the island she has made her home. It is, in parts, an Alice-in-Wonderlandish kind of place -- intriguingly eccentric. It has lovely views over Devokan Waysmeet (the tree village) and across to Deepwater.

We discussed Quin's moods, of course, and what we might do to help. Paislee has found some old scientific instruments locked away in a tower on the northeast coastline of Curiosity -- she apparently took a small jemmy to the door (I said I didn't want to know the details). She's cleaned up the instruments and has set up a small laboratory in the tower, hoping that Quin might enjoy pottering around in there.

While I was there, something rather worrying happened overnight. A small landslip to the north of the island broke up the wooden coastal walkway and destroyed one of the Alice-type buildings. I had previously thought that the lands had stabilised -- obviously this is not the case.

The landslip seems to have opened up a cave; unfortunately its entrance is totally submerged, so exploring it further will need to wait until I get the proper equipment across. I wonder if Quin might be interested in this development...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:26 am 

I've just heard from Paislee. Apparently Quin turned up at Curiosity yesterday and spent most of the day there!

Paislee says he seemed like the Quin we used to know -- taking an interest in what she showed him, firing question after question at her, speculating aloud what it all meant. She saw none of the black mood and temper of the past few months.

No doubt I'll find out more over the coming days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:18 am 

I've had a quick word with Andy about Quin.

It would help all of us keep in touch if Quin were able to access my office in Neolbah, and maybe keep a copy of his journal there.

Andy said he had no problems with that, and would set this up as soon as he had the time (he's very busy with other projects at the moment).

Mind you, the last time I was working in Neolbah, I heard someone link out just after I linked in. It wasn't Andy -- he normally shouts out a greeting or where he's off to now. The sound seemed to be coming from what I call the boiler room.

Strange. Perhaps there's more going on there than immediately meets the eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:16 pm 

Well, I still haven't seen Quin anywhere, but for some reason he has re-started posting notes on the GoMa forum. I suppose that is better than nothing, but I still need to speak with Quin face to face about something in Winterfell Reverie that I suspect he may be behind.

But look at what he's just posted on GoMa:
Quinquifid wrote:
I have returned from a very fruitful few days spent in the spheres' source world.

Having ascertained that the monitors in the sky lab over Lost Pages region were working correctly, I decided to pay a visit to the island of Curiosity, where Miss Paislee has settled. This was the first time that I have ventured there in daylight since the painful loss of the transferred Devokan and my hoped-for island of Skysong.

I was not looking forward to confronting the evidence of destroyed hopes. However, what greeted me in that island was so astonishing and surprising that such black thoughts were pushed to the back of my mind.

First, there was no sign of the sky island that had formed from the blighted remnants of my beloved Devokan -- the sky to the north of Curiosity was clear of all obstructions.

As I was standing there, looking up in amazement, I heard Miss Paislee's voice: 'Quin! It is so good to see you! We have missed you -- where have you been for the past few weeks?'

I turned, and there was the lady herself. Greetings exchanged, Miss Paislee proceeded to relate what had been happening during my absence.

Now, the science underlying the strange spheres is not fully understood, but they seem to obey some of the usual rules of Newtonian physics. What Miss Paislee described could be seen as a classic instance of action and reaction. For at the same time as the land of Selenitica was being formed in this Universe via the seed sphere in the Tower, the sky island to the north of Curiosity had disappeared!

Unfortunately, the disappearance was accompanied by instability within Curiosity itself, manifested by a landslip that part destroyed the walkway along the cliff, and sent a small holiday cottage plunging into the sea. I was becoming most alarmed at that point in Miss Paislee's narration -- and, if I am honest, feeling a little guilty that my selfish desire to restore something that I valued had resulted in such an event.

I questioned Miss Paislee closely about the exact circumstances. She reassured me that no one was injured, and that nothing had been lost that was of value -- in fact, she had slept through it all.

But she was obviously excited by one consequence of the landslip. 'Come, Quin, come and see what has been opened up!'

I followed her carefully down the rocks exposed by the slip. At the furthest edge, she pointed: 'Do you see that opening, just above the sea surface?' I nodded an assent. 'We will need to swim for the next part,' Miss Paislee continued.

I was a little alarmed by this, for it suggested that Miss Paislee had already investigated whatever it was, on her own -- and so I remonstrated with her, though to no avail; she simply laughed at me, and told me not to be so old-fashioned.

To cut a long story short, we dived into the sea, took a deep breath and swam under the rock portal.

For it was indeed a portal. Surfacing the other side, regaining my breath, I looked around. We were in a large cave, some 15 metres in diameter. An eerie light played on the cave roof. The air in the cave was fresh, suggesting that there was a natural vent somewhere.

We scrambled onto the rocky floor and made our way up the slope. Towards the top was a circular tunnel, its walls looking as though they had been smoothed by the action of flowing water over aeons. We followed the curve of the tunnel, the strange light I had noticed on the entrance cave roof becoming brighter.

The sight that greeted me as we emerged from the tunnel ... words have failed me...

There are so many details and 'coincidences' I need to think through and check out. More later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Dot wrote:
Quite a bit has been happening since Andy wrote that note.

First, in Winterfell Reverie, it seems that Quin's experiments in the base of the tower are beginning to bear fruit. I snuck across the other day, and found that a small seed sphere has started to form at the centre of the cage mechanism. I later discovered that Quin must have been in Winterfell Reverie at some time (he didn't bother to get in touch at all), for he has uploaded a photo of the sphere to Flickr:

Then kaelisebonrai popped by to ask if some maintainers might inspect the area of the cavern he has been working on. It was obviously a pub area, and he has done excellent work in repairing and restoring it. He has sorted out and cleaned the tables and chairs, installed rather nice banners and lighting to cheer the place up, and got the imagers working to a point -- they are displaying static at the moment, but I've no doubt that he and his colleagues will be able to coax them back into service, even after all these years. The shelves behind the bar area are sadly empty -- but that might be just as well while inspections are taking place!

On my return from inspection duties there was a letter from Paislee placed on my desk:
Quote:
Dear Dot,

It is out of a growing concern that I write to you today. Our dear friend Quin has been very much in my thoughts of late.

I know from your journal (and our conversations as well) that he has been based in Winterfell since the loss of our dear Devokan and subsequent journey to this new world. I suspect that he has fallen into a depression. Even at his busiest he always managed to visit briefly to check on the inn and to keep up with events.

I fear he has been missing far too long from his friends. I miss his visits... and I do worry for his well-being. Did you know I chanced upon him once outside his cottage? I called to him, but he didn't seem to hear me calling. He looked as if he didn't want to be bothered.

Perhaps some day soon you could visit Hilltop House and we could share some tea. I'd very much like to share my concerns with you in person. Perhaps we can devise a plan to encourage Quin. As you know, there are some unusual things here in this new world.... Things which I believe Quin would find interesting.

Hoping to visit with you soon.

As always, with this letter comes with my best wishes!

Regards,
Paislee

So it looks as though I am not the only one worrying about Quin's state of mind.

Just as a note, the Imagers do indeed work, and have since before I posted that message on the GoMa forums. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:42 pm 

Perhaps the imagers had a temporary blip at the time I visited the place -- such blips are only to be expected given their age. I'm glad you have been able to get them working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:55 am 
Obduction Backer

My assumption would be your KI is not operating at full functionality. =)

But, eh. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:07 am 

Anyway, back to the story...

Quin's report here spurred me into action. I rummaged through all the crates in Neolbah, trying to find my diving kit (I really must get around to listing the crates' contents -- we didn't have the time during Devokan's evacuation).

Finally I plugged in the OSgrid reference I'd noted before into the HIPPO transporter -- curiosity/190/230/33 -- and linked...

It was early morning. The air smelt fresh and alive; the grass sparkled with dew.

I caught a movement out the corner of my eye, to my left. I turned, clambered up the rocks and found this contraption, turning in the stiff morning breeze:

Some sort of forced ventilation? I wondered whether Quin and Paislee had cobbled this together after their exploration of the cave below.

But this was not what I came here for. So I insinuated myself into the diving kit and slid off the rock into the sea.

Underwater the light was surprisingly good. I saw some rough steps hewn into the rock near the cave entrance. I hadn't seen those before -- had they too been exposed by the landslip? What did their presence imply?

Carefully I picked my way through the tumbled rocks and swam upwards into cave itself.

Before I surfaced, I looked up and saw this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:55 pm 

I'm juggling so many projects and deadlines at the moment that my journal is getting a little out of date. Andy seems to be under a similar workload -- though he did send me a note recently that he hoped to be able to do a little more work in Neolbah soon.

I've still not managed to get hold of Quin to let him know of the offer of shelf space in Neolbah, though Paislee has been in touch to say he is working on something on her island. However, when I tried to link there to have a few words with him, the communicator showed that he linked straight out before I could catch him. I've since heard via the GoMa grapevine that he is deliberately avoiding me because of what happened to my Keepsafe building during one of his infernal experiments.

Paislee says Quin has commissioned an architect to develop a research complex on Lost Pages -- she is meant to to keep an eye on their progress. This is part of the Foundation his aunt's will charged him to set up, apparently.

Meanwhile, back at Winterfell Reverie, the land where the Keepsafe was has been taken over by a gypsy encampment. I've only spoken to the man so far -- a pleasant fellow, who sounds like he might have a few stories to tell himself. Their horse is certainly enjoying the sweet grass! I wonder if they would mind if I collected the end result for my roses...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:31 am 

I linked in to Neolbah earlier today to pick something up that I had stored in the crates, and once again I heard someone link out -- the sound came from the basement area.

This time I investigated further. There has been someone else here -- and he has left behind a 'testimony'.

Who is this Gordon Ulysses Smith? He's not someone I've come across before.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next