It is currently Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:08 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 pm 

There's a Cyan Worlds logo in Ahnonay sphere 4.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:39 pm 

Nerf Bludgeon wrote:
There's a Cyan Worlds logo in Ahnonay sphere 4.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

That's a great find! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:50 am 
Obduction Backer

The Canyon Mall:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Canyon Mall is part of a street in Ae'gura that connects the Tokotah Courtyard to the Concert Hall Foyer. It is half ruined from the earthquakes during the Fall. Major portions of the walk collapsed along the canyon side. Several barricades are present to help prevent accidents.

There are five distinct buildings in mall. Of them, the only one accessible is the Kadish Gallery, which is classed by the DRC as City Interior #0080. It is possible, due to the numbering of the Kadish Gallery, that the buildings are numbers 0078 - 0082 in the DRC's classification system. The buildings are suspected to have been shops of some sort, except for the Gallery. However, instead of any writing identifying the buildings' purposes, many of them have the same slogan found on the Arch of Kerath, the Ferry Terminal, and other locations on the island.

The slogan:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

City Interior 0078:
Halted at Phase 3 when the DRC abandoned the cavern.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

City Interior 0079:
Status unknown.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

City Interior 0080:
The Kadish Gallery. Open to explorers.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

City Interior 0081:
Status unknown.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

City Interior 0082:
Halted at Phase 1, due to large cracks in the main support pillar.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Kadish Gallery:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

This building was purchased by Guildmaster Kadish after his dismissal from the Guild of Writers, and was opened as an exhibit of art made by D’ni and ahrotahntee (non-D'ni) craftsmen. This disguised its true purpose, which was to house a set of clues to puzzles in Kadish Tolesa and Ahnonay. Kadish may have commissioned the art to remind himself of how to get to his vault. Another possibility is that his ego made him hide the clues in plain sight as a way of thumbing his nose at the visitors.

The Gallery has D'ni writing along the top edge of the walls which reads "rehtimehlokh Kaidish", repeated continuously. This translates roughly as "the gallery of Kadish".

D'ni writing:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

There is a hidden room in the Gallery. On the second level, just inside the entrance, is a circular balcony with a dome above it resembling a night sky. The lower room does not extend past the inside edge of the part of the balcony nearest the entrance. Behind the wall is a semicircular room which cannot be entered by normal means. In it, the D'ni script reading Gallery of Kadish runs along the baseboards. Given that most of the clues to Kadish's puzzles depend on things that are missing or hidden, it seems highly appropriate that the building containing them has a secret chamber.

The star dome:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The hidden room:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Concert Hall:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Not much is known about the Concert Hall. It's one of the few building whose interior has never been shown even in sketches. The structure is basically an Isosceles triangle with a rounded apex and a concave base, set at an acute angle of roughly 20° to 30°. Only two parts of the hall are visible, the base and the apex. The concave base forms the Foyer, which holds a nexus terminal, and which is the only part accessible to explorers. The entrances to the hall are blocked off by safety barriers. Since such things rarely stop me, I can tell you that there are no doors behind the barriers. Instead, there is a transverse corridor that leads to the doors, which are on the far left and right sides of the foyer out of sight from the area explorers can see.

The Concert Hall from above:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Image[/spoiler=]
[spoiler]Image

The corridor behind the barriers:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

I've not been able to get into the building itself, but it seems likely that the structure is mostly composed of an amphitheater due to the shape of the building, with seating beginning on the opposite side of the wall visible from the foyer. The seating would reach down to near the other part of the building that is visible, which is the stage. The stage, which forms the apex of the triangle, is a multistory structure jutting out into the Ae'gura canyon. The upper story is the stage proper, and appears to have moveable outer walls that can be retracted to expose the stage to the canyon, or closed to restrict view to those inside the hall itself. My best guess is that the lower story of the stage area holds offices and dressing rooms. It seems plausible that the hall would have been used for the performance of plays as well as musical events.

The stage structure:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Details of the stage:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Standing on the stage:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Details of the lower balcony:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Standing on the lower balcony:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Inside the lower balcony structure, looking out:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was like, "A secret chamber in the Kadish Gallery? GET OUT! :shock: "

then I had a look see for myself... and WOAH! :shock: there it was!!

the secrets of Ae'gura just keep on revealing themselves... you just gotta know where to look :wink:

in the voice of Lenard Nemoy, "Fascinating..."

Post subject: The Library of Ae'gura
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Ae'gura Library is a common linking book library. In an effort to gain popularity with the people, various kings of D'ni would create common libraries to make certain Ages available for anyone to use. These Ages were generally places the D'ni liked to go to break up the monotony of living in a cave system.

The library on the west end of Ae'gura is the largest known common library, but only one of many. There are small common libraries in every neighborhood and district so far discovered, although these do not in any way compare to the private libraries of the rich and powerful. The library on Ae'gura is surrounded by a large plaza called the Library Courtyard. A Nexus terminal is located to the left of the entrance, behind a tent set up by the DRC.

Views of the four sides of the Library:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

On the front of the building is a lens that projects the light from the illuminated glass-paneled ball behind it. Above the lens is an inscription of the city slogan, found in so many places around the island.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Library is a multistory building. The part of the building above ground is barred to access. The first level below ground, which was probably the main entry level of the Library, consists of a large room with a central shaft and stairwell leading down to lower floors. Currently, only the main level and a landing on the floor below it are open to explorers. There are a total of five floors below ground level if you include the main level, giving the building a total of seven stories.

The above ground portion of the building has two floors and a canopy roof. It is dominated by an illuminated ball of glass panels, whose purpose is unknown; it may only be a large decorative lamp. The bottom of the ball forms part of the ceiling of the main level, and that portion is surrounded by a decorative molding with the city slogan repeated on it around the circle. The large doors into the upper level of the building may just be maintenance access for the ball. On the rear of the building, there is an open doorway into the second level high on the building, opening on a sheer drop to the plaza. This door is visible in the picture of the rear of the building posted above.

Stained glass panels of a crowned man and a woman grace the sides of the library, along with a window with geometric patterns. While this may be portraits of the king and queen who commissioned the building, no information about the panels has been found.

Views of the illuminated ball:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The stained glass windows:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The floors below ground are all divided into five niches, each of which can hold up to five pedestals for linking books, although the main floor's entrance doors use up one of the niches. Currently, most explorers will see eight pedestals in the niches of the main floor, only two of which have linking books. In other instances of the library, more have been found. The walls and railings are decorated with a rayed hand design identical to those found in the Ae'gura museum building.

The first pedestal one reaches walking clockwise holds a book linking to Minkata, and there is a notebook listing the surveyor's routes for the Fourth Journey. Minkata was a training ground for D'ni surveyors, and the Age is meant to teach a trainee how to follow a route by dead reckoning, and navigation by the stars. The second pedestal links to Jalak Dador and a notebook written by the DRC lists several games that can be played there.

On a table near the door are three notebooks with stories about events in the lives of a few of the kings of D'ni. The first story is about King Kedri, who made several changes to the city. The second story is about King Me'emen, who was ruling when a serious plague struck D'ni. The third story is about King Me'erta, and his mother's attempts to change the oath of the Guild of Writers.

Main floor:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Second floor down:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Third floor down:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Fourth floor down:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Fifth floor down, final stop. Little light makes it down this far, due to the tarp across the shaft:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Extensive damage was done to the library building during the Fall of D'ni. Several ornamental lamp pillars fell, large cracks have appeared in the exterior walls, and a portion of the right rear of the building broke away. Despite the damage, the building appears to be essentially intact.

A tapestry hanging next to the upstairs doors:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Blue and gold decoration on the support pillars around the doors:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah larryf58,

Yet another installment of your amazing photos from Ae'gura! I'm particularly enjoying the shots of the concert hall since I'd never quite put together that the balconies we see off the end of the Canyon Mall are the stage-side of the concert hall itself. Sure makes me wish we could hope to see the restored insides of all these buildings some day.

Have you considered compiling all your architectural researches into a textbook or reference of some sort? I don't think I've ever seen all this information in one place before and it's a genuine treasure trove of D'ni wonders. I'm finding your notations about the similarities in architecture and detailing between building most informative and fascinating. It's all helping me to gain a better appreciation for the amazing qualities of the D'ni daily/ordinary life (it's been so easy to get all caught up in their Ages and world-making abilities that I all too often brush right by this other stuff). And it all certainly helps to bring this old city more to life for me, even after all these years of wandering its streets...

Keep up the fantastic work! And see you in the Cavern! (BTW, one of my new buddies taught me how to zip-line to the Tokotah II rooftop, so just in case you haven't learned this yet, I can pass on the instructions to you next time...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am 
Obduction Backer

This Thread Candidate For Sticky! Vote4Sticky

Anyway, I am endlessly eager for the next installment in your investigations, Larry. Your analyses are incredibly detailed and meaningful and have brought to light details I have sorely missed.

I wonder if the fabled "Arch Museum" listed on the DRCs list of unopened cavern locations, might be behind one of the closed doors along the Canyon Mall.

Also, the Palace Balcony bears the torn remnants of what appears to have been a banner long since worn away and fallen into the canyon, no doubt. There is only speculation, but I wonder what it may have once depicted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Main_Avvie: Thanks for the enthusiasm you've been showing for my work. It's really encouraging when people post comments. I haven't been looking for records that might show that tapestry, so I have no idea if a depiction of it exists. Maybe I'll run across one in my research.

Ainia, my impression of the concert hall is that it resembles a spaceship that crashed through the ridge line. I posted the aerial views so that you can see how the architectural elements truly are unified, and show that it is one building. As for making a reference book... I can't even say I know how. Plus, I still have a lot of work ahead before I even finish cataloging the cavern.

Even once I've finished up with the new cavern articles I've got lined up, I'll need to go back to the Palace and redo that. I've been learning and settling into my style for this topic, and need to fix up the photos for the palace. Before that, though, my next set will be the pubs and the Great Zero.

As a teaser, I found out that it's possible to look out the windows up above the second level of the Watcher's Pub and see the district it's in. I've got what I hope will be very exciting photos of the J'taeri district as seen from the windows of the pub.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Are you folks using something like NoClip to be able to access areas for these shots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've lately been especially fascinated by the lower foundation of the Palace. The Battery Wall which faces the Canyon appears to extend down to the lake, and given the surrounding rock shape, it looks as if at least a significant part of the Palace was built in an open space into which the Canyon once extended, not directly on rockface as most of the other structures.

Just something else for you to investigate should you head back to the Palace. :)

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

sirpuma wrote:
Are you folks using something like NoClip to be able to access areas for these shots?

Yes, but the exact method cannot be discussed in this forum. It's against forum policy.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject: The Guild Pubs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:52 am 
Obduction Backer

There are six known Guild Pubs in D'ni: the Cartographers Pub, the Greeters Pub, the Maintainers Pub, the Messengers Pub, the Restoration Pub, and the Writers Pub.

The Pubs are located in an upper-class residential district of Ae'gura called J'Taeri, which according to the map in Tokotah Courtyard appears to be toward the southeast part of the island. The Pubs are circular three-story buildings that are shaped like a dome with a short, roofless cylinder set in the top. There are five pointed-arch windows set along the top cylinder. On the bottom level, there are seven alcoves. Four of the alcoves contain small rooms with the remains of fittings. One alcove is a larger room meant to be a small common library. One alcove is a short corridor leading to a balcony. The last alcove leads to a larger room similar to the common library room. Each of the alcoves is four steps lower than the main floor. The second floor is an observation gallery with a corridor with a shelf for linking books on one side, and a door leading to a room for private meetings. In the Restoration Pub, this room was expanded and converted into a puzzle by Guildmaster Kadish. The third story of the building is made up of the top section with the windows. It's decorative, and inaccessible.

The niches:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Each of the Pubs is decorated with tapestries and wall carvings, and is features the colors of the Guild to which it belongs. There is a large floor viewer in each which is usable by anyone with access to the Pub.

J'Taeri is home to a large common library. It was constructed during the reign of King Ja'kreen and was named after his dead son. By the time of the Fall, it was the custom for Guild families to come to the Pubs for meetings to oversee the activities of the Guilds in lower-class districts. It was in J'Taeri that A'gaeris, as part of his plot to destroy D'ni, manipulated Veovis and Aitrus. This resulted in the imprisonment of Veovis, an action that eventually resulted in the Fall. When Atrus and Gehn rediscovered D'ni, they harvested blank books from the J'Taeri common library.

The Restoration Pub:

Downstairs:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The second floor:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The door to the upstairs room:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The common library niche:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

More commonly known as the Watcher's Sanctuary, it has also been called the Great Tree Pub, the Watcher's Pub, and the Restoration Guild. The Watcher's Sanctuary is sometimes incorrectly referred to as Rolep due to a mistake in translating a passage in the his book of prophecy, the Words of the Watcher. It currently contains a notebook about the building itself, a linking book to Er'cana, and a linking book to the Ahnonay Cathedral in its common library

One of the niches on the lower floor leads to a balcony that looks out on a large spherical room that contains an artificial tree. The tree predates the rest of the Watcher's Sanctuary, possibly going as far back as the 2000s DE. Some time after the Watcher wrote his book of prophecy in 4500 DE, the pub was built in his honor as an upper-class salon where intellectual and political issues could be discussed. The tree is a representation of the Great Tree of Possibilities, a conceptualization of multiuniversal theory favored by the Garternay and their descendents on Terahnee and in D'ni.

The Great Tree, bridge, and interior:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The last owner of the pub was Kadish, who proclaimed himself the Grower and constructed one of his puzzles in the upstairs room, and designed it so that only he could access the tree. He then scattered hints to the puzzle in the Ages of Ahnonay and Er'cana. His claim of being the Grower resulted in a popularity boom for the pub, and people thronged to visit Ahnonay and to see if they could solve his puzzle. None succeeded before the Fall ended such pastimes forever.

One of the puzzle rooms, with stairs down to the bridge. Note the Ahnonay crest:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Guild Pubs:

The Guild Pubs all have identical floor plans as the Watcher's Sanctuary, but are decorated with their Guild logo and colors. Back during their heyday, the Pubs were not only places for the Guild Families to conduct business, but also to socialize. Four of the niches along the bottom level contained game tables and comfortable seating.

The Cartographers Pub:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Greeters Pub:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Maintainers Pub:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Messengers Pub:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Writers Pub:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The J'Taeri district:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:08 am 

It's interesting to see how the Pub has been changed and repurposed so many times.

It was originally shown in a screenshot for the 2003 incarnation of Uru Live. What's special about this version is that the alcoves weren't blocked off, and container seating and Ayoheek tables. Also, the passageway with the door on the upper level was blocked off by some sort of rock, and the imager in the middle of the room was something else (a fountain?).
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
There's been some discussion that this might have originally been intended as part of the Neighbourhood Game Room, given the number of Ayoheek tables it contained. It would be great to hear from someone at Cyan what the original intent for this area was.

The one you can see in PotS is much closer to what we have today, but the ceiling is closed in, rather than the current open-aired view of the cavern. It was retextured from whatever Cyan had intended for their earlier version, and canonically placed in the J'Taeri district on the back side of Ae'gura island.
This version has all the alcoves blocked off, except for one alcove that was modified to lead to a balcony, and one that holds the Ahnonay and Er'cana books.
In the game files, it is called the "Restoration Guild", but in-game it is referred to as the "Watcher's Pub" or "Watcher's Sanctuary".
There is/was a misconception at the time of PotS that the Pub was in the cavern of Rolep, but that was a rumour started by accident that is not true.

Finally in MOUL, we got another version of the Pub, retextured from PotS with the puzzle door locked shut. This one has the open ceiling, with a view of buildings similar to those in the neighbourhoods. The alcoves here are still blocked off, aside from the balcony and books.
It's interesting that some of the textures in this version (such as the banners) indicate that they were intended for use in the Guild Hall. The Pub is also called the "Great Tree Pub" in the files, but retains the name "Watcher's Pub" in the Nexus.

The Guild Pubs are close to exact clones of the MOUL Pub, with some textures replaced, and more alcoves blocked off. In the Guild Pubs, the Imager is functional and player can upload KI images and KI journals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:19 am 

I've been flying around Ae'gura comparing the sizes of things. Obviously some parts of Ae'Gura were built with forced perspective in mind, and are entirely too small when looked at up close. We can ignore them for now.

Those things aside, though... I think the areas have have access to are about 20% too small. I'm basing this mostly on the palace and Takotah I buildings - the doors and windows are generally well-sized, but the buildings are just a touch too cramped IMO. We know roughly how thick the walls of buildings in Ae'Gura are, so we can roughly size the interiors of these buildings. What we have just doesn't make much sense to me.

Throughout Ae'Gura the details are well-sized, so everything feels good, but when you look at it the overall spaces are a bit too cramped.

I'm curious what the thoughts of those involved in the thread so far are on this.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 am 
I thought J'taeri was in the City Proper?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next