It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:12 am 

According to MystLore's page on Ae'gura,
Quote:
It is currently unknown how many districts Ae'gura has; the only districts known to be on Ae'gura are the Jaren, J'Taeri and Kerath'en districts, although the Ishah district mentioned by Cate Alexander may also be located on Ae'gura. Concept models of Ae'gura, [...] show at least four districts are located on D'ni.

If these models are still considered accurate, then each district can be in fact identified from references given in the books, as well as KI listings. J'Taeri and Jaren are located on either side of the Guild Hall, although at a different level. Ishah is the highest district on Ae'gura, and is located further back. Kerath'en is the lowest district on Ae'gura, and is located near the Palace, although the two areas are separated from eachother by the rocky spires that run along the Library road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Facing the Guild Hall complex, J'Taeri would be higher up the island and to the left rear of the Hall, which puts the district southeast of Tokotah Courtyard. I'll be covering the Great Zero in my next article, which will explain the directions.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:39 pm 
Going over The Book of Atrus, I see where I went wrong. Indeed, J'Taeri is in Ae'gura.

Post subject: The Great Zero
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Great Zero is the English name for the D'ni Rezeero, the origin point of the cylindrical coordinate system used by the D'ni to allow for navigation within the City, its caverns, and just about everywhere else they went. There are rezeero in most of the Ages to which the D'ni have links. "Rezeero" is the D'ni word for a point of origin of their navigation system, and is completely unrelated to the English word "zero". Unfortunately, the true meaning of the word rezeero has never been deciphered.

It was customary for the Ronay to first send a group from the Guild of Surveyors to a new Age to establish the rezeero before they did anything else. The rezeero was normally set on a prominent natural landmark, and the line emanating from it was oriented toward magnetic north. If north could not be determined, they would orient it toward another major landmark. In this way, it was much easier for them to explore and navigate within the Age. The D'ni continued this custom.

The Great Zero in the D'ni caverns is located in a forest of lesser stalagmites and pools of water at the peak of the tallest and most massive stalagmite on the island of Ae'gura. A monumental building was constructed around it in D'ni year 0 DE, making it one of the first buildings erected in the cavern. Near the time of the Fall of D'ni, new machinery was added to the Great Zero which, once calibrated, permitted the new KI devices to tap into the signal and show the owner's position.

An overview of the Great Zero Monumental Building. This picture is from north to south, with the observation room at the lower end:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

A map of D'ni drawn by Guild Master Aitrus shows the Great Zero prime meridian running along the edge of Ae'gura, near where the Great Library stands. This is a mistake on his part, perhaps due to his not having a KI. The true prime meridian runs on a line extending down the meridian strip through the Guild Hall, Tokotah Courtyard, down the Great Stairs and through the center of Kerath's Arch. The meridian strip marks the direction magnetic north would have been at the time the Cavern was colonized. In the Great Zero Courtyard, the prime meridian is marked on the floor with a radiating line and the D'ni number "00".

The Prime Meridian:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

At the time the DRC discovered the Cavern, the Great Zero was in standby mode, and needed to be recalibrated before it could function. Recalibration was accomplished by explorers, who ran marker missions to locate specific spacial points for the Calibration Center machinery. At the time, the state of the recalibration effort was shown in a calibration report posted on the viewer in the Great Zero Courtyard by Victor Laxman. Eventually, the recalibration of the Great Zero was completed and it was activated. Since the activation, a blue line of light sweeps through the city at regular intervals.

The neutrino collection tower before and after activation:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Now, when a new explorer collects a KI from Gahreesen, the KI itself is uncalibrated, and twenty marker missions must be run to tie it into the system. After the missions have all been run, the KI shows the spacial coordinates of the person wearing it. The machinery in the Great Zero Calibration Center has been re-purposed to provide the missions to calibrate individual KI devices.

The Great Zero is divided into three main areas.

The Great Zero Observation room:

The Great Zero Observation room is also known as the Great Zero Antechamber or GZO. It is a small chamber that overlooks the Great Zero courtyard at its south end, and the Cavern at its north end. There is a DRC notebook, a Nexus linking book, and a machine that upgrades one's KI, generates a marker mission, and into which the first completed marker mission can be uploaded.

The Great Zero Observation room is accessed via linking books found the neighborhood common libraries, typically being the book on the right side of the back wall. After one links there, a linking page appears in the City book in one's Relto bookshelf.

Looking into the observation room from outside:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Great Zero Courtyard:

The Great Zero Courtyard is below the Observation room and holds the neutrino fan emitter. Around the machine is a topographical map inlaid into the flooring. It is unknown what terrain the map represents. While many have tried to make three dimensional renderings of the map, it has no elevation markings to say whether a terrain contour line is lower or higher than the one preceding it. This makes the attempts fanciful at best. On a balcony overlooking the courtyard, there is another KI terminal where one's KI can download and upload a second marker mission and a Nexus book. At the far end of the Courtyard are corridors leading to doors to the Calibration Center.

The courtyard cannot be reached until you upload the first marker mission into the Observation room KI terminal. Once that is done, link to the Courtyard is added to the Public Links in Nexus. The Calibration Center cannot be unlocked until the second mission is completed.

Scattered around the courtyard are small domes with spinning rings around them. It is difficult to say if they serve a usefull function or are just decorative models of the Great Zero device itself:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

On either side of the courtyard are incomplete stone rings that may have inspired Kadish in his designs for Tolesa. There are decorative glass balls floating in the center of the rings. The balls are marked with a design that is repeated on many of the surfaces around the building complex::
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Great Zero is, according to popular theory, a neutrino emitter, that sends out a fan-shaped spray of particles. When they pass through objects, the particles leave behind a brief blue glow that looks like a solid line. In this picture, you can see part of the fan of particles, and the glowing line on the side of the courtyard and the rocks beyond caused by the particles passing through them:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

There is a well below the Great Zero device, which contains some peculiar marks on the walls facing north and south.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

There are other markings on the walls the neutrino beam passes through when traveling from the Calibration Center to the Zero:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

In the corridor section leading to the doors to the Calibration Center, there is a viewer which shows an unidentified scene that appears to be part of the City. It bears a glowing shell glyph that is identical to the one from Kadish's Path of the Shell. This is the viewer that once hosted Victor Laxman's calibration status report:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The Great Zero Calibration Center:

This area contains four Great Zero Maintenance Units. The maintenance units were originally used to calibrate the Great Zero itself, and held missions to give the machinery information on distance, elevation, and azimuth, with each machine serving a specific function. After the Great Zero was reactivated, the machines were converted to calibrate individual KI devices, and the machines now all show the same data. The Maintenance Units allow an explorer to select any of eighteen marker missions. To calibrate one's KI, all eighteen missions must be completed.

The Calibration Center overlooks a glowing lake, in the center of which is the neutrino collection tower. This generates a beam of neutrino particles that enter the Center and are directed to the Great Zero itself. There are pools and streams of water running under the beam, possibly to absorb stray neutrino particles. Crystals are suspended around the complex to direct and regulate the flow of the particles. The tower itself is made up of eight glowing pillars, arranged in a hollow square, with an concentrator/ emitter for the beam of collected neutrinos. The beam is passed to other concentrators to keep the beam tight and focused.

The outside of the Calibration Center:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

There are two locked doors inside the Center, which are translucent. You can just make out a room with an arched doorway at the other end:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Between the calibration machines, there is a pool of water. Inside the pool is another of the strange markings:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 am 

Sorry to be a party pooper, but your "strange markings" are simply artifacts of the way the GZ was modeled. Half of it was built, and then that was mirrored to fill in the other half. This creates those symmetrical patterns in the textures.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

I'll have to disagree with you. The marks in the well below the GZ do not match the surrounding blocks, and are directly oriented on the north-south meridian. The carved elements form coherent shapes, some of which are arrows. I do not believe that they are coincidental in any respect. In fact, I think the marks in the pool in the Calibration Center might even be a representation of Ri'neref, who was leading the D'ni at the time the building was constructed. The fact that the markings are radically different from everything surrounding them speaks for itself, I'd say.

However, the photos were posted so that my readers can come to their own conclusions. I'm here to suggest possibilities, not ram my own theories down other people's throats.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:49 am 
Obduction Backer

The unidentified scene on the imager first appeared there in early 2004, and appears to be the area we now call Tokotah alley. Many have speculated that it is an image of how that street once appeared, due to its connection to the Path of the Shell and what that entailed for those who walked that path in 2004.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:06 am 
Obduction Backer

That is an attractive theory, Deledrius, but it doesn't account for one element of the image.

Clearly visible in the image is a Nexus terminal, and those were not installed in the City until just before the Fall. If that is a historic picture of a missing section of the Alley, it shouldn't have the Nexus terminal. If it's an image from just before the Fall, what about the one that still exists in Tokotah Alley?

I'm keeping my mind open. It might even be a district elsewhere on Ae'gura, or in the City Proper.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 am 

The area visible in the GZ imager is a greyscale version of this image. It's much easier to see without all the interference that this is Takotah. You're looking towards the collapsed section of the alley. Those pillars on the right are clearly visible in the game. Yes, Cyan used concept art as an in-game texture.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Don't get me wrong: I think it's awesome that you're looking around for hints and interesting things in the City. There's some awesome stuff tucked in there that hints to things we never got... but the GZ is not one of the areas that has any of that. There's just some lazy texturing in it.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:14 am 
Obduction Backer

larryf58 wrote:
It might even be a district elsewhere on Ae'gura, or in the City Proper.

That's a good point. It could be anywhere in the city. However, it does match that particular location very closely, including the stalagmite in the background.

I personally think the current theory is a strong one, but if you do find somewhere which matches better, please be sure to share it!

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
The area visible in the GZ imager is a greyscale version of this image. It's much easier to see without all the interference that this is Takotah. You're looking towards the collapsed section of the alley. Those pillars on the right are clearly visible in the game. Yes, Cyan used concept art as an in-game texture.

Don't get me wrong: I think it's awesome that you're looking around for hints and interesting things in the City. There's some awesome stuff tucked in there that hints to things we never got... but the GZ is not one of the areas that has any of that. There's just some lazy texturing in it.

Okay, okay. I'll drop character just this once.

I'm fully aware of that preproduction picture, and recognized it the moment I saw it. The thing is, I'm doing this topic in character, as an explorer crawling over a ruined city. In that spirit, I deal with everything I run across as it exists, and out of character explanations of game glitches and such have no part in it.

I will say I think you are dead wrong about the wall markings. Having been the one who went and looked at them, I can say with certainty that they do not match the textures around them. It's not just a matter of mirror imaged anything; since that the easiest way to get exactly matching halves, that's granted. The point is, the halves were deliberately drawn and then mirrored. They don't match the art around them at all, and if you were to take a section of any other portion of the walls in the locations they are found, you would not get those images by mirroring them - the markings do not exist anywhere but in those exact spots. Since they are found in places players cannot get to, I tend to think that they were developer graffiti.

In any case, if you want to point out all the little mistakes and places where Cyan got lazy, you ought to start your own topic for it. While I'm not being as strict about sticking to the artificial reality as I was in my Zoologist topic, I'm still doing that "I really went there to get these photos" bit. Any explanations or observations about anything need to be in character as an explorer -- that's why this topic is in "Creativity". It's me playing a game as much as it's a listing of game facts.

Hopefully, this is the last time I'll drop character.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'ni is an Age that Ri'neref wrote after his expulsion from the Guild of Writers of his homeworld, Garternay. When it became obvious that Garternay was breaking up and would soon be destroyed, The Ronay used the Art of writing Ages to escape. Ri'neref brought his followers to D'ni, which consisted of a series of caverns under the surface of the Earth. At first, the D'ni did not know if the surface of the Earth had sentient inhabitants. They didn't learn that for sure until Anna found her way into the caverns.

"D'ni" is a word that means "new start" in the language of the Ronay, and it is used for the people, the city, the language, the central cavern which contains most of the city, or the entire Age of caverns and tunnels. Ri'neref believed that the caverns would be safe from most natural disasters, and that living there would make the D'ni have greater appreciation for the beauty and wonders of the other Ages. D'ni is not the only home of former Ronay peoples - the D'ni were one of the smaller splinter groups. The majority of the Ronay went to an Age called Terahnee (New Tree), which much later was renamed Devokan (Rebirth or Hope).

A view of the D'ni Cavern from a neighborhood:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The cavern system can be reached from the surface through various means, but the most spectacular is the Great Shaft. The Shaft is a project that the D'ni invested a great deal of time, money and effort on, only to abandon it within yards of breaking through to the surface. The exit is located in the cinder cone of the volcano on the Zandi property. A natural cave now connects to the shaft after an interior wall collapsed, allowing access. The Cleft is near the exit of the Shaft, and it's not far to the Lodge, and to Atrus's and Catherine's surface home, which they called Tomahna.

The Great Shaft:

In its time, the Great Shaft (Regahro Tiwah) was controversial. The Shaft is a three mile deep cylinder lined with nara, the extremely dense gray metallic stone used in much D'ni construction. It is fed air by eighty ventilation fans, and twenty thousand firemarble lamps were used to light it. The Eder Tomahntee spaced along the Shaft had beds and linking books to the garden Age called Direbo.

The Shaft was designed by Guild Masters Garten and Geran of the Guild of Surveyors, along with a support team from the Guild of Cartographers. Work began in 9338. Four great machines named Grinder, Burrower, Rock Biter, and Stone Tooth were used to excavate it. Later, it was the route by which Gehn, Atrus, and the DRC first traveled between D’ni and the surface. Just now, the exit to the cavern complex is sealed.

This unassuming hole in the floor of the volcano cinder cone is the entrance to the Shaft complex:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Climbing down a rope latter from the cinder cone places you in a natural cave:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The end of the cave opens into a corridor from the top of the Shaft ventilator to the highest of the Eder Tomahntee. There was no opening originally. It was dug out later, perhaps by the Bahro. This sign is on the corridor wall:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The sign reads:
PB tehB

When the Shaft was first built, the only way up and down was to climb a spiral ramp. There were four Eder Tomahntee (rest stops) along the way to give the traveler a break. This Eder Tomahn is at the top of the Shaft:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

An underrated part of the Shaft complex is a ventilator shaft that runs next to it all the way to the bottom. It's not often mentioned, even though it is an equally impressive accomplishment. Here is the top of it, which must be passed to get to the Shaft itself:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

This corridor connects the ventilator and the Great Shaft:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

This is a view down the Shaft from its highest point:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

When enough of the internal bracing was added, two elevators were added to make ascending the Shaft quicker and easier:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The bottom of the Great Shaft is elaborately decorated, and has a platform that raises and lowers on four giant screws:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The platform from below:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

There's a maintenance access pit below the platform:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

View of the platform from a walkway:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The city of D'ni is not restricted to the main cavern. In time, it spread into several nearby caverns such as Irrat and Rudenna. The cavern complex including the Great Shaft lays within the borders of what is now Eddy County in New Mexico, USA. Eddy County is also the home of the city of Carlsbad and Carlsbad Caverns National Park. The centers of the caverns hold large lakes with a type of algae which glows bright and then darkens in a thirty hour cycle, giving D'ni a thirty hour "day".

Overview of Rudenna:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

There are a number of islands both large and small in the caverns, and many have buildings. The islands in the main cavern include Ae'gura, the center of government and religion; an island which holds the Cultural Center; Katha, which has the Mytery House, home to the D'ni Relyimah; K'veer, home to a mansion belonging to Lord Rakeri and his son Veovis; and Neref.

View from K'veer toward Ae'gura:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The majority of the people of D'ni lived in the City Proper, which is located on the cavern walls of D'ni or in the smaller caverns such as Rudenna. There are thirteen known major residential and industrial disctricts in D'ni: Ashem'en, Belari, Ishah, J'Taeri, Jaren, Kaleh, Kali, Karim, Kerath'en, Lanaren, Ne'weril, Nehw'eril, and Vamen. Ashem'en is the district which holds the Er'cana Silo, and was originally named Uran. Ne'weril and Nehw'eril are not typographical errors or variations of the name of one place - the names are accurate and are two separate districts.

There are numerous smaller residential neighborhoods on the walls of the caverns. These include Bevin, Kirel, and Seret, which differ in detail although their general layout is nearly identical. The Bevin style is the most common building plan for neighborhoods. Seret shares the same style with Bevin but has different lamp features. Kirel is a mirrored version of the Bevin style, and was the location of the first DRC headquarters in the Cavern. They later moved it to Tokotah I when that building was certified as safe.

K'veer:

K'veer was a privately owned island that was converted into a large mansion by digging into the stalagmites. It had enough rooms for the master's family and many servants. Near the time of the Fall, it was owned by Lord Rakeri. After his death, Veovis and A'gaeris used it as a base for the plot to destroy D'ni.

After the Fall of D'ni, Gehn lived there with his servant, Rijus. During this time, Gehn trapped his son, Atrus, in a circular room adorned with a giant mosaic of Ri'neref on the floor. This was the first time Atrus was trapped there. Years later, Atrus' sons Sirrus and Achenar tried to get rid of their parents by tricking Catherine into going to Riven, and then trapping Atrus in K'veer again. Atrus remained in K'veer, working to stabilize Riven, until the Stranger found him.

The rotunda that Atrus was trapped in has a center tile mosaic of the face of Ri'neref:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

The room Atrus was trapped in:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The corridor to the main hall:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The main hall of K'veer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Katha:

Katha is an island that contains a mansion filled with puzzles and illusions, built by Faresh. He abandoned it after the death of his daughter, who claimed to see spirits and fell from a window in the middle of the night. He willed it to the Relyimah (the Unseen), the secret service of the Kings of D'ni. Strangely enough, "relyimah" was also the Terahnee name for the slaves that kept their utopia functioning.

An artist's drawing of the mansion on Katha. No actual pictures are available:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

As a side note, the D'ni and Terahnee had several terms in common that had very different applications. Relyimah is one. Bahro is another. Bahro (beast people) was the word used to refer to their intelligent nonhuman slaves who could link without need for the books of the Art, and was the equivalent of Terahnee "relyimah". To the Terahnee, bahro was used for any people found in an Age that were not descended from the Ronay. The natives of the Ages were called ahrotahntee (outsiders) by the D'ni.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:41 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah larryf58!

Another wondrous installment in your new series! I have just a few comments regarding all the information you have so elegantly presented here.

I suspect that there very likely are more than four Eder Tomahn along the Great Shaft and that we only know about four of them. When walking the shaft pathway from any given starting point (i.e. the surface, any of the four Tomahn, the bottom), one doesn't get far before the pathway becomes impassable, the rock has eroded so badly in so many places. So at this time, it's impossible to walk the shaft from top to bottom which makes it likely that there are numerous Tomahn that we simply have been unable to discover yet.

The four that you mention are all accessible both via the elevators and via their linking books to Direbo. But it wouldn't surprise me if other Tomahn had linking books to other places, particularly other garden ages. (And as an aside, it makes an interesting sort of sense to have links to rest ages in these Tomahn, for any pilgrimage via the pathway would be tiring and perhaps somewhat gloomy, I would think.)

Another thought: the Tomahn containing Watson's journal seems to be a fifth Tomahn that can only be accessed (at this point) via a Bahro linking stone. It does not have a Direbo linking book and is disconnected from any of the elevator access points, so I'm pretty confident that it must indeed be separate from the four you have written about. It seems to be located in a particularly dim part of the Shaft and in all of the numerous times I've attempted to walk the pathway up or down from there, I encounter a gap in the pathway within a few circuits. So this Tomahn seems to be somewhat isolated along the path itself, though seems to be nearer the bottom than the top judging from the view I get whenever I invariably fall through a gap and Relto away.

Also, we know from the early historical records that it was believed some of the workers who built the Shaft itself wandered out to the surface. And the fact that there are great fans which function and in fact bring fresh air into the Cavern implies pretty strongly that early on there was some sort of connection (natural or D'ni-made) to the surface itself. Of course, I have my own theories about that, which I'm still working on "in all my spare time". But I've always thought it fairly likely that there would be at least one natural connection between the Cavern and the surface, though perhaps in a very different location from the Shaft, maybe even in an obscure or hidden corner of the Cavern...

Anyway, my non-canonical thinking is about to follow here (and it's pretty dramatically non-canonical, so be forewarned!). Since it veers away from the main topic, I'll spoiler it so it can be easily ignored if desired:
[spoiler]Living here in New Mexico (yes, I really do live here), it's always bugged me that there is such a significant disconnect between Cavern canon and the actual surface here. For instance, the vegetation at The Cleft is all wrong for that part of New Mexico and there are no volcanic features within 200 miles of Carlsbad or Eddy County. Yet what we see at The Cleft and what we know about the volcano there fits very well with other parts of New Mexico. The Tomahna we see from Yeesha's childhood also is completely wrong for Eddy County, but again fits very well for other parts of New Mexico. And somewhat paradoxically, Yeesha refers to The Cleft as Tomahna, though it bears little resemblance to what we've seen of her childhood home. So I've been wondering for a very long time exactly what Tomahna really refers to. Certainly not just The Cleft; perhaps it's an Age name for Terra; or a continent name as with the pod ages. Without being able to ask Yeesha herself, I can only guess.

My longest term Uru research project and hobby has been about trying to find a coherent explanation for all of this and invariably one of the first things to get tossed aside is the geophysical location of The Cleft and Cavern. I've read a few alternate explanations for this involving Terran instancing and Bahro magic that seem to be the only way to stick with canon and stitch all the rest of it together. But I find that unsatisfying; everything else about our exploration and restoration work within the D'ni universe is about understanding the backstory, how it all fits together, how it fits with us. Who the D'ni really were and are, how their understanding and exploration of the Great Tree through these different Ages tells us the greater truths about what's really out there; what Ages and worlds are really all about. It just seems to me that the grand puzzle in all of this is in discovering how the D'ni and their story helps us to understand who we each are as individuals and as humans. So in the end, all my explorations--canonical and non-canonical alike--are really all about my exploration of this grand puzzle.

/OK, off the soapbox and back on topic[/spoiler]
Anyhow, you have outdone yourself once again, my friend! Your research and photos are most impressive. I still think it would be marvelous to get all this put into some sort of reference document or book. Wouldn't it be awesome to build up a library of all we have learned and are studying about the D'ni?

And BTW, I still think it would be a fun activity to post photos of lesser-known D'ni architecture (close-ups, etc.) and challenge people to seek them out. It would get a lot of people re-exploring the Cavern and in the process, gaining a deeper appreciation for that marvelous city beneath our surface feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've explored the eder tomahn Dr. Watsons journal is found in, and it's not the real one. I'll go back and take some pictures to show it.

My theory about "Descent" is that it's a Bahro-made shadow of the real Shaft. I believe that they made it specifically as a place for Watson to hide while he sorted himself out. The fact that it's the only version of the Shaft that must be accessed initially via a Bahro stone gives some support to the idea. The position of the shadow eder tomahn is identical to the one where the elevators stop in the real shaft.

As for the number of eder tomahntee, there really are just four. I've traveled the entire length of the shaft, and counted them. There is one at the top, one at the bottom, one just a flight up from the bottom, and the last one about three-quarters of a mile up, where the two elevators meet.

Something to keep in mind is that the elevators went in not long after the Shaft itself was completed. It was never intended that travelers to or from the surface would have to make the three-mile climb or descent on foot. The eder tomahntee were most likely built for the construction workers, not for travelers, and the Direbo books were probably there as a place for the workers to go on their breaks or when their shift was over.

That game sounds like an interesting idea. I just might do that.

Edit:

Okay, here are some pictures.

Here is the real Eder Tomahn at the junction of the elevators:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Here is the shadow copy in the Age called Descent:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Down at the bottom, the Bahro copied the basic layout and much of the decorations, but skimped on many of the details. Note the lack of bracing on the Shaft. Also note that while the elevator rails are in place, the elevators are missing:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The doors you see lead nowhere - there is solid rock on the other side, as near as I can tell. The machinery does not work, and the controls and switches are decorative, not functional. Lastly, the ventilation machinery is missing.

In conclusion, that's why I think Descent is an Age created for Watson to get his head together. Do I think Yeesha wrote it? No, because there are no linking books to Descent, only a Bahro stone. Still, I may be 100% wrong, and encourage you to come up with your own ideas.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next