It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:48 am 
Obduction Backer

thanks - links work now and I can see what an enormous and impressive piece of work this now is! Well done! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes the links work now ... This project and just everything Ainia does is extraordinarily brilliant and of gigantic proportions ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just finished reading through your work Ainia, and I must say you have done a wonderful job! An amazing amount of work went into that and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone,

It's been a long winter and I have finally restarted my research hikes. :D Which means, yesterday I returned to San Lorenzo Canyon and found some power poles.

Here are the results.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Hiking to the cliff tops

[Reveal] Spoiler: The northern cliffs, across the canyon

[Reveal] Spoiler: Lots of flowers up top; some Sierra Blanca Bladderpod here

[Reveal] Spoiler: And some Beakpod Milkvetch

[Reveal] Spoiler: These cute little White Fishhook Cacti are scattered here and there

[Reveal] Spoiler: First sighting of a power pole

[Reveal] Spoiler: A zoomed view to the northeast with Black Butte and the nameless volcano in the far distance

[Reveal] Spoiler: Atop some volcanic outcroppings, again looking northeast

[Reveal] Spoiler: Closing in on the power poles, with Ladron Peak in the background

[Reveal] Spoiler: A series of power poles to the north, with the impassable canyon cliffs visible on the left

[Reveal] Spoiler: Scrambling downward, I find some hardy Verbena blooming amongst the volcanic rubble

[Reveal] Spoiler: Almost down from the cliffs, power poles to the northwest

[Reveal] Spoiler: In the canyon wash, an active seep feeds a brackish puddle

[Reveal] Spoiler: Continuing northward, I soon find a fenceline for the Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge

[Reveal] Spoiler: A USGS marker nearby

[Reveal] Spoiler: Top view of where the seep runs down the sheer rockface

[Reveal] Spoiler: The seep is very active up here

[Reveal] Spoiler: I explore the area up here near the seep source and find a Wolf Spider lair

[Reveal] Spoiler: It is late enough in the afternoon that I can capture a decent shadow portrait

[Reveal] Spoiler: A Hedgehog Cactus starting to bud

[Reveal] Spoiler: A Pincushion Cactus

[Reveal] Spoiler: Some early leaves and catkins for a Narrowleaf Cottonwood in the wash

[Reveal] Spoiler: Some young flies hanging about the seep algae

[Reveal] Spoiler: The bubbling seep

[Reveal] Spoiler: Some enterprising folk have made the sheer rockface more scalable from below

[Reveal] Spoiler: Having clambered down into the lower canyon, I find a good-sized pool of water nearby

[Reveal] Spoiler: Farther downstream, I encounter a colorful hunk of old iron of unknown purpose

[Reveal] Spoiler: A short cascade down a rockface

[Reveal] Spoiler: A fenced-off side canyon... worth a visit next time, I think

[Reveal] Spoiler: Farther downstream, a leafing Cottonwood against one of the many red cliffs

[Reveal] Spoiler: Some young Cottonwood leaves

[Reveal] Spoiler: The Cottonwood roots are raw and whitened along the wash floor

[Reveal] Spoiler: A lovely tangle of exposed Cottonwood roots

[Reveal] Spoiler: Another short cascade with the westering sun providing a bit of drama

[Reveal] Spoiler: Classic Tomahna view!

[Reveal] Spoiler: Almost back to the car, the late afternoon sun sets off the cliff colors beautifully

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

great to see your new discoveries! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Nice ones, Ainia :D

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Beautiful, Fun and Educational too! I would so enjoy going on an expedition with you, only it would likely take us twice as long with both of us going "Hey look at this!"

The loop on the metal thing makes me think of something a cable of some kind passes through or is fastened to.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves sitting on the edge of their mental seat waiting for some big reveal?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:40 am 

Very nice!

And yes, I find Ainia's expeditions always elicit a certain amount of excitement

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Amazing photos, Ainia. Thanks so much for sharing them and your expedition with us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lovely photos once again, Ainia. I am jealous of your location, so close to the place where the cleft is reported to be :)

As far as I remember, you were following the power poles to see if they lead to anywhere that looked like the place the "DRC photograph" was taken. Did you have any luck this time?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:02 am 
Obduction Backer

AlanD wrote:
Lovely photos once again, Ainia. I am jealous of your location, so close to the place where the cleft is reported to be :)

As far as I remember, you were following the power poles to see if they lead to anywhere that looked like the place the "DRC photograph" was taken. Did you have any luck this time?

My luck took the form of ruling out this specific location. ;)

The lay of the land was far too uneven to be the Cleft locale; however, I did note that the southern parts of the upper wash had tire tracks, which means there are access roads to the south. It's anybody's guess just yet whether those roads are publicly accessible... which means I will be spending some time with Google maps.

And if anyone else out there has time on their hands and is so inclined, you can always pitch in with that. :mrgreen:

Here is my westernmost point from Friday's hike, on Google Maps. The power poles stretch from north-northeast to south-southwest just a bit farther west from there. The nearest southern paved road is state highway 60, about 12 miles south. The trick is to figure out the unpaved road network between those two points so I can find and follow the power poles northward from highway 60.

The power pole parts in between Friday's destination and my July trip will be difficult to assess since this is where they cross through the Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge. Nevertheless, for anyone who is interested in looking further, here is the July power pole endpoint on Google Maps.

Experience has shown that power pole access roads often are barely driveable (and that is putting it kindly ;)), so I will want to plan things out a bit before heading off on those primitive roads.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:32 am 
Obduction Backer

And on a somewhat related topic, I am running an Obduction/Tomahna-related poll... head on over and vote please!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia
WOW! I'm very impressed! Wonderful & Great pics! Keep up the great work!
How did I miss this thread all these years, but I am relatively new to forum since 2012.
I had to catch up on all 12 pages & was amazed !
I am envious of petroglyphs your area ... I would almost die for a chance to explore there :mrgreen:
Glad to see a kindred spirit out there and about :)
I have a similar project as a hobby and adventure.
Your exploring is like what I do, little journeys to explore for an old lost Native American
Indian Trail that was used for 10,000 years. In my area the local Natives stopped using the
portion of the trail I'm looking for in 1904 when Glacier Park was established.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Just as we have modern highways the ancients had a system of trails and highways used for
1,000's of years. Over the years I have explored looking for segments of the trail, then hope to
connect it all together. I have found a cave, one glyph, many blazes, and special trees.
The Kootenai Natives did not place many glyphs out. (sad) Searching for a stretch of trail 40
miles long in the rugged Rocky Mountains near the Continental Devide west of Glacier National
Park. It lies in a valley called the North Fork Area that runs eastward towards & through the
park into Canada. And another " Three Sisters" :)
[Reveal] Spoiler:

My project is not related to the cavern, however I like to think it is :) By connecting my
quest to the D'ni. Where did the ancient D'ni come from? There ancestors used the trail to get
to New Mexico. I am trying to write an Age called AnatNom for a place not mentioned in this
forum (DI) :), but I haven't learned to use Blender well enough yet. I like Ancient History, and
have read a lot on it. I think the Toltec s were in your area? The Maya are fascinating.
I'd be glad to help you and google earth an area for you, just give me the coordinates I should
study. Sounds like the San Lorenzo Canyon area ? In my RL I do surrvey work and mapping, so it is right up my alley :)
In my spare time, whatever that is ?
There was a local history book written that covers the part of the trail I am trying to find.
I can't seem to get the Forest Service or the Government interested in it.
The book can be found on Amazon: "Indian trails of the Northern Rockies", ISBN-10: 1931291101
ISBN-13: 978-1931291101, written by Darris Flanagan.
LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Indian-trails-Nor ... ref=sr_1_3?
ie=UTF8&qid=1428372918&sr=8-3&keywords=darris+Flanagan
Bear Grass in my area, I noticed yours.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Some other Pics of segments of the trail I found & the labyrinth:
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I discovered the trail is easy to find on talus slopes, which I thought would be the more difficult
places to find it. Pics of trail: First pic is parallel to a Forest Service road.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

A forest fire in this area revealed limestone and an interesting formation hidden before in the forest.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

A large Beaver Dam in North Fork valley near the Indian trail, this is remote country.
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Wildflowers along the way, I haven't ID them, or have but forget :)
[Reveal] Spoiler:

Indian Paint Brush along Forest Service Road
[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah TrapperDave!

Wohba!! So glad to know there are two of us "out there"! :D

Thanks for sharing your adventure here, with all the amazing pics. :o

And I'm sure there is a D'ni connection, especially since some early Maintainers stayed in the surface 10,000 years ago. Keep an eye open for hidden Nexus Linking Books; my theory is that they put many of them all over the surface as they wandered amongst the native humans. :wink: After all, that would be the sensible thing for any D'ni explorer to do: create a navigable network on the surface. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Ainia :)
You are the one to Thank :) And you are the one with the amazing pics!
Explore on !!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12