It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 71  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:07 pm 

I have had this thought for years and maybe here it will be read or commented on, I have experienced some really awesome fan made ages, even made a few myself back in 2008-9 the talent out there is amazing, so why cant Cyan get together with the community and say "look this is what we wanted to do, we cant do it unfortunately would you be willing to build this stuff for us?" All non contractual, just for love of the game I am sure there are more than a few digital artists who would jump at the chance to take a Cyan concept art piece and transform it into a living breathing age. The resume cred alone would be worth it, but it could be a way to get Cyans ideas for Uru off the sketch book and into the players hands. What say you?

MOULa-Current KI# 1895294

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:25 pm 
I say, 'Go get a lisence from Cyan.' From what I hear, that's all that stands between us and that most glorius future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:23 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Race, I'd love to think that what you propose would come to fruition. I just don't know what Cyan have that could be farmed out that way. Maybe we'll be able to find out sometime in the not too distant future.

DLoT: Yes, that. But if only it were that simple. It needs work.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Greetings,

I've discussed fan content some with Cyan and the OpenUru.org team before making this public post to inspire more discussion and interest. I brought up a Fan Nexus in a follow-up to my OP. I thought the idea of Stonehenge, for example, would be a fascinating example of fan content fulfilling a need for a hub to provide entry into more fan content. Marten had the good suggestion to ask Cyan first so that we would not waste time on a proposal for Cyan to shoot down. So I did that. With RAWA's permission, here's what he wrote:

RAWA wrote:
Yes, I think a second, separate Nexus for the fan Ages is the best way to go. It keeps all the fan-created Ages easily accessible from one place, and acts as a gateway that lets players know "You are now leaving Cyan-designed Uru" kind of thing. If the player chooses to visit one of the fan-created Ages (IC - "Explorer-restored Ages"), and something inappropriate is on the other side... we didn't do it. :)

It would be good if there were, for example, one of the easels from the neighborhood right next to the Book carousel in the Explorer Nexus that gives a brief IC disclaimer: "--NOTICE-- The Ages from this Nexus were restored by fellow Explorers. They have not been vetted or restored by the DRC. Enter at your own risk, and keep your Yeesha Book close at hand. - Victor Laxman".

As for the new Book on the Relto shelf to link to the Explorers Nexus - I'm torn. In some ways, for the long term, it would be nice if it were just another page in the normal Nexus book. Maybe have the lighting in the Explorer's Nexus changed to a different color, so one could tell at a glance which linking image was which. On the other hand, in the short term, having a new Book show up on the shelf would be nice, too. I'd be leaning toward the first option (new page in the Nexus Book), but would go along with the other without much of a fight. :)

RAWA

Rand was in on the discussion and agreed with RAWA, liking a separate Nexus. He noted about the Nexus link that "a page is cleaner, but the book is more satisfying" and wondered which is easier. Finally, Chogon says it would work well to put an additional page in the existing Nexus book on the Relto bookshelf as a link to the Fan Nexus. So it appears that is Cyan's preference. Note that these comments all assume we would modify a copy of the exising Nexus - an interesting implication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:36 pm 

I have emailed Cyan support asking about adding fan created shirts as we have done on the TOC shard.
Both DTC and myself are interested in this, and because we can just send them to the TOC team directly to be added on the shard, I thought that we could do the same with Cyan.

Now after reading this thread, I am wondering if we are supposed to submit the fan made shirts through OU.
Does anyone know which is the correct procedure? (btw, I am waiting for a reply to my email)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:41 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Alien wrote:
Does anyone know which is the correct procedure? (btw, I am waiting for a reply to my email)

Heh, does anyone know? Maybe not. ;) As I mentioned, this will be an exploratory process to see what works. Or what works easier and faster at less cost. It would certainly help to get the content onto OU for testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 pm 

As far as I can tell from submitting desgins for the TOC shard, shirt desgins don't need much testing, I could of course be wrong about this, but all it is is a recoloured texture of the plain white short sleeve T-shirt template (or at least that is what we've been using for TOC). The new texture (with the new design) is then added to the existing shirts, but it is basically a white T-shirt we've drawn all over.

In theory, Cyan could simply add it to the wardrobe the same way the TOC team do ... but we all know what happens to theories, don't we :wink:

Alien

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hmm... Are those shirts made by actually changing the files themselves, then redistributing them? That might pose a legal problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm 

We take the plain white short-sleeved T-shirt and put it in an image editor, such as GIMP, then we overlay our design onto it.
For example, I put the Guild Of Sleepers logo on it as a layer, then saved the image and sent it to the TOC team.

The only legal issue I see is if you use copyrighted images. As it would require Cyan to add the shirts, they can reject any that *might* cause legal issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Regarding Fan Nexus as a new book versus a page in the existing book, I can see how it's neater to put a page in the existing book, but how noticeable is that to the average player? We want to make sure that the new content is easily discoverable…

I know this is probably not possible, but I've always envisioned a Nexus-like machine in the Library, with an easel sign like RAWA suggested. But I realize what that would require, so I don't think of it beyond wishing it could happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Fan nexuses make me sad. Just put a linking book somewhere that makes sense (eg in the main nexus or in the city) and use a new stamp design. You can even request design submissions for that stamp from those artistically minded community members who aren't up to making a whole age.

Last edited by AdamJohnso on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Malfhok wrote:
Regarding Fan Nexus as a new book versus a page in the existing book, I can see how it's neater to put a page in the existing book, but how noticeable is that to the average player? We want to make sure that the new content is easily discoverable...

I don't think the page should just appear in the Nexus book - not only might it be overlooked, but what is the IC explanation for how it got there? The new page should have to be collected like those in the City book. Those were bahro stones, though, weren't they? Well, stone or paper, it should appear somewhere and be collected. Maybe in one of the Guild Pubs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 am 

IC explanation, Yeshia Magic :lol: or better we will recon them there :)

Last edited by Jamie Marchant on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Jamie Marchant wrote:
IC explanation, Yeshia Magic :lol:

That's not even funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:41 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
Jamie Marchant wrote:
IC explanation, Yeshia Magic :lol:

That's not even funny.

Yes it is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 71  Next