It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 71  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:58 am 

A new page would be nice but I think a new book would be cool to. A new book with a link to a fan made Nexus for fan made ages would definitely be a nice addition to the Relto Bookshelf. their are several empty book stands in the City where it could be discovered.

As far as where it came from is concerned, I can think of several options. the best being restored or newly discovered ages being made available as a result of the Caverns coming alive once again.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Ahlisendar wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
Jamie Marchant wrote:
IC explanation, Yeshia Magic :lol:

That's not even funny.

Yes it is.

Like a gassy excretion in church... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:00 pm 

Wopse, diden't mean to be rude :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Whoopsie, another breakdown in communication. :wink:

Your joke wasn't rude, Jamie; it just touches a sore point for some. Since you laughed at the comment, we assume you don't like the idea of using Yeesha Magic as an easy way out of writing a better IC explanation. Adam's comment indicates he feels the same way. So, you're actually in agreement. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 pm 

Uh thank you Tai'lahr, now I see that we are all on the same side. :) Anyways back on topic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 pm 

I'm guessing that Adam means when commenting upon the fan nexus that it goes against the idea of explorers finding ever more books to make available post DRC in an ever expanded area of the explorer restored city. Explorers rebuild the ancient culture and for good or for worse making it our own (meaning IC mainly but you know it blends).
A fan nexus takes us into the hobby room of fans, and something is lost, is it not! I agree with that sentiment very much but I'm a pragmatic person however.
An explorer Nexus is a way forward, and the faster way forward, possibly the only way forward that does not put the existence of moula in jeopardy.
If done right it need not be sad. If done good and fast it will be lovely. Build it and build it now please and save our future moula.

Cheers

PS! I'm presently learning 3DMAX to get a go at this. Mainly because those with skill at modeling don't like my age ideas :sniffle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 pm 

Yeah, too many bits of the Mystverse have been retconned for it to be at all believable by this point.

"Yeesha magic" is one of a multitude of narrative problems in the Myst canon. That said, the retcons, as irritating as they are, aren't as big a problem for the fanbase as the lack of new content and story... I'd be willing to tolerate a few new eccentricities in the story at this point; just having more Myst content of any kind - even with plotholes - would be preferable to the nothing we have lately.

The disconnect in communication you've experienced, IMO, is understandable given that it's text. I have, on a few occasions, run into Poe's law while being sarcastic around here, or elsewhere. In one case, people actually thought I believed (D'ni was real) when, in actuality, I was attempting to parody the more delusional and cultish aspects of the Myst fandom.

The fact that people actually thought I might be serious... says a lot about our fanbase.

There is something (slightly cultish) about this MMO, a level of dedication in the core fanbase that borders on deranged. I see it in myself, too, I'm afraid, to some extent. I should've left years ago. For some reason I'm still here.

I guess I keep hoping something big will happen and turn things around - the Myst Movie, the Starry Expanse project, Cavcon 5, a new set of plugins for age creation that actually allow people to reliably output Blender content to CWE... (in other words, a debugged PyPRP2)

Eventually I pretty much stopped waiting on the last of those and worked up the nerve to strike an informal deal with Karkadann. I'm realizing at this point, that I'm tired of waiting and would rather actively do something to turn things around, with the tools that currently exist for Uru age creation.

As for Cyan legal... my experiences with getting Cyan Legal to approve anything, have been far from satisfactory.

I contacted them over three years ago, no response at all. None whatsoever. I am, again, tired of waiting, and will make my fan ages with or without a response.

I haven't yet given up on Uru, nor have I given up on this niche community. I have mostly given up on any kind of comeback for Cyan Worlds any time soon... they aren't anywhere near the point where they can add new (official) content.

I now recognize that Uru is effectively in our hands now and will become whatever we choose to make it. That is a challenge to us as a fanbase but it's also exciting and filled with potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

A thought… Given this quote from RAWA:

RAWA wrote:
It would be good if there were, for example, one of the easels from the neighborhood right next to the Book carousel in the Explorer Nexus that gives a brief IC disclaimer: "--NOTICE-- The Ages from this Nexus were restored by fellow Explorers. They have not been vetted or restored by the DRC. Enter at your own risk, and keep your Yeesha Book close at hand. - Victor Laxman".

Could we possibly see if Cyan would be willing to host a brief DRC event to announce the Fan Nexus or whatever it ends up being? Given that it'll be the first new content on MOULa in a long time, it seems like something that should be celebrated by a DRC appearance.

But I'll leave my expectations low and my DRC-sighting meter set to "Elvis." :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:55 am 
Obduction Backer

Malfhok wrote:
Could we possibly see if Cyan would be willing to host a brief DRC event to announce the Fan Nexus or whatever it ends up being?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:11 am 
Creative Kingdoms

That would be cool. The time to ask is not now, but when everything is ready to go live. There's some work to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:05 pm 

Bottom line, business is business and you need to spend money to make money.

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:12 pm 

I strongly strongly strongly disagree with the idea of a "fan nexus". The point of new content is to see Uru live and grow again. The best way to do that is with good quality, curated content that is integrated with the world and the story. Ghettoizing that content because it doesn't come from Cyan - who I will add has not created new content for literally years - is insane, and once you can say "well, the fan content is off to the side anyway" it becomes very easy to let quality standards slip.

I highly recommend the Gehn Shard's model of only accepting high-quality content and putting in the technical and artistic effort needed to integrate it properly with Uru. Yes, this requires more work - but the potential payoff is the living world that Uru has always promised us.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with you, PoK. In an ideal world... only high-quality fan content would be allowed and it would be integrated with a storyline. But, who decides what qualifies? Cyan doesn't have the time to review fan ages and everyone balks at having a community group make those kinds of decisions.

This separate nexus is a compromise to speed up the process of getting new content added. What if the fan age nexus was just a testing area and if an age proved worthy after a period of time, it would be moved to the main nexus and/or book to be found somewhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:37 pm 

I was kinda assuming that the fan Nexus was gonna be added later on, when enough quality fan made content has accumulated, in the mean time their are places to put linking stones and books all over the cavern, as far as working the new age into the story, with a good imagination you can work almost anything into the story of Uru

The new content will definitely attract more of the old community back unfortunately its likely that the attention MOULa will get as a result of the new content may be short lived unless some how new content is added regularly, which brings up the issue of quality vs quantity.

The Ball is in Cyan's corner all we can do is wait for their next move and prepare for it

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
The Ball is in Cyan's corner all we can do is wait for their next move and prepare for it

Well, no, I doubt Cyan is spending much time thinking about this. It's up to us to come up with a good plan to propose to them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 71  Next