It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:11 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 71  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:01 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
And if you're expecting modellers and other technical people to jump at the chance to implement someone else's story for them? You've got another thing coming, my dear. =) it will never work that way. It has never worked that way, in any content creation community, for any game, that I have ever seen.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:17 am
Posts: 475
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
kaelisebonrai wrote:
And if you're expecting modellers and other technical people to jump at the chance to implement someone else's story for them? You've got another thing coming, my dear. =) it will never work that way. It has never worked that way, in any content creation community, for any game, that I have ever seen.


Actually, one of the bigger Age projects I'm working on right now has had a vast majority of the back-story developed by Nev'yn, with some continuity input from me. We're also hoping to bring in Lyrositor so I can work with him on the coding aspects once the initial modeling and texturing is about complete (if he's not too busy at that time, of course). Ahlisendar may also provide some music as well.

So yeah...guess it just depends on who is working with you and if you're open to working with others. ;)

_________________
Image
KI Numbers: Doobes - 6302


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Land of Confusion
I have tried to get an age started where people that specialize in one aspect of age creation,
be it lighting producing a realistic result with shadows lighting fixtures ext ext
architecture, graphics, meshes terrain buildings ext ext
landscaping plants trees grass
texture and UV maps
detail (I always like mechanical detail the best and have some nice stuff that has never been published)
Coding I know kaelisebonrai for instance is good at codding and putting existing structures together with some complex stuff and several versions of images and producing some excellent results in the process. In fact I have some glass booze bottles with D'ni themed labels I got off the GoW Forum on my pc someplace if he wants some for his Pub any changes would be very little problem
consept art, something to work from
Not to forget the people who specialize in D'ni lore


What would be ideal is for some of us to get together and do some brain storming and create an age that fits into D'ni lore a nice place to explore kicking stuff around a few puzzles some plant and animal life a good story line.

If we start this as a community project apposed to someone working alone we wouldn't be working on implementing someone else's project. some people who know a lot about D'ni lore may not know 3d graphics but they're contribution would be just as important as the coder or the guy who does the Graphics.

unfortunately as many times as I tried I can not seem to get any one to work on a community age where the community gets together and creates something for MouLa

But even when something like this gets started most are in Blender and some are in Max although I could still contribute a few detailed items and export them in what ever formate which would be great. So if you got some detailed mesh you need and cant be bothered creating yourself let me know

_________________
When You have eliminated all other possibilities What ever is left must be the solution

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:23 am 
Sevkor itself is pretty much a community designed Age. There were massive discussions about how the Age should work before it was (more or less) decided that it should be a library Age. Then, there were more discussions about what it should look like. It was decided that it should be a central shaft, reaching all the way to the surface to expose an alien sky, with long spiralling corridors containing the books. If that doesn't shout 'this was designed by more than one person', I don't know what does.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:49 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
don't get me wrong - multiple person projects may and perhaps do happen. However, if you're expecting modellers and technical people to jump to do /your/ project. I would expect to have to have some give and take. You must have more to bring than ideas, than story. Or, you must be willing for some of your vision to change on you.

Every "counter example" so far have been true group projects. not what Eleri has spoken of.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:01 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Calumon wrote:
if we can get things rolling, people's attitudes will change

People's attitudes ARE changing. I see it happening here, already.

kaelisebonrai wrote:
We also have a community that is /incredibly/ hostile to new content, new story. Anything not made directly by Cyan. (Please don't tell me that's not the case, I've been here long enough to be aware of this - and I could probably dig up posts to prove my point, in fact.)

Yes, I know you could, but how old would those posts be? It's time to let go of the past and begin to think more positively about the future.

kaelisebonrai wrote:
There are few *new* people getting into content creation. And to my knowledge, no new Tweeks, Whilyams, and Rustees. No one with the background knowledge, with the knowledge of the lore, knowledge of the way the engine works, and the artistic ability to make an Age happen.

That is incredibly unfortunate and a terrible loss to the community. So, our only hope is for people to bring their individual talents and pool them together in a team effort.

kaelisebonrai wrote:
don't get me wrong - multiple person projects may and perhaps do happen. However, if you're expecting modellers and technical people to jump to do /your/ project. I would expect to have to have some give and take. You must have more to bring than ideas, than story. Or, you must be willing for some of your vision to change on you.

Yes, of course. And, this, I believe, is where the community is lacking the most. I know there have been some successful team projects in this community, but I'm sure there are dozens more that fell apart before getting very far because the people couldn't work together; no one was willing to sacrifice even a little bit of their vision. So this, more than anything, is the area where we need more work.

Calumon wrote:
I know that nothing changes unless people try and hope. But that's just me. *Shrug*

and me. :)

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:17 am
Posts: 475
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Tai'lahr wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:
We also have a community that is /incredibly/ hostile to new content, new story. Anything not made directly by Cyan. (Please don't tell me that's not the case, I've been here long enough to be aware of this - and I could probably dig up posts to prove my point, in fact.)

Yes, I know you could, but how old would those posts be? It's time to let go of the past and begin to think more positively about the future.


So very much THIS. And as far as those hostile to new content, if it happens, there's not much they can do to stop it, so they can take it or leave it as they see fit. I think the vast majority of players want something...anything...new to play around in. I know I do!

_________________
Image
KI Numbers: Doobes - 6302


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:04 pm 
Doobes2 wrote:
I think the vast majority of players want something...anything...new to play around in. I know I do!


Here here!


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Land of Confusion
Tai'lahr wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:
don't get me wrong - multiple person projects may and perhaps do happen. However, if you're expecting modellers and technical people to jump to do /your/ project. I would expect to have to have some give and take. You must have more to bring than ideas, than story. Or, you must be willing for some of your vision to change on you.

Yes, of course. And, this, I believe, is where the community is lacking the most. I know there have been some successful team projects in this community, but I'm sure there are dozens more that fell apart before getting very far because the people couldn't work together; no one was willing to sacrifice even a little bit of their vision. So this, more than anything, is the area where we need more work.


your right Sevkor is definitely starting out as a community age, and im hoping this will be the first of several.
all we need is the rest of the team to get on board

_________________
When You have eliminated all other possibilities What ever is left must be the solution

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 432
Karkadann wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:
don't get me wrong - multiple person projects may and perhaps do happen. However, if you're expecting modellers and technical people to jump to do /your/ project. I would expect to have to have some give and take. You must have more to bring than ideas, than story. Or, you must be willing for some of your vision to change on you.

Yes, of course. And, this, I believe, is where the community is lacking the most. I know there have been some successful team projects in this community, but I'm sure there are dozens more that fell apart before getting very far because the people couldn't work together; no one was willing to sacrifice even a little bit of their vision. So this, more than anything, is the area where we need more work.


your right Sevkor is definitely starting out as a community age, and im hoping this will be the first of several.
all we need is the rest of the team to get on board


I think it's a question of HOW people work together.. my idea of the 'doghouse' has pretty much completely changed, but I still feel like some of my original ideas.. its ramshackle nature, and having in the Great Shaft, are what inspired others to come and start working with the idea that has become Sevkor.

I was ready to hit the door when I got some people in my face threatening some kind of boycott of the Age, tho, over certain issues, rather than offering up more constructive criticism... but what brought me back was others' enthusiasm for the project as a whole.

Once cool heads prevailed, I was perfectly FINE sacrificing parts of 'my personal vision', after some plain explanation why they wouldn't work.. game canon, and etc.


As along as we can be team players, and have some logical or fairly understandable reasons behind our views... I think as a group project, Sevkor has shown that such collaborations CAN move forward. Of course, this sentiment would have a lot more impact if Sevkor was already a done deal, accessible on the MOULa server.. :P

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:38 pm
Posts: 1673
Quote:
Agreements towards working together! 0u0


Now this is the URU Community I've known and Love. X) Indeed. People definitely need to start grouping together, rather than staying alone. We need to stop dividing ourselves, and begin working together. "Alone or Together"? I think it's about time we dropped the Alone part. :)

Quote:
And if you're expecting modellers and other technical people to jump at the chance to implement someone else's story for them?


A buddy of mine once came to me for concept art for an age location he had in mind. I've gone to another buddy to begin the process of modeling my own age ideas, even if just for fun. Some people will jump at the chance to help out wherever they can. :) Even in D'ni, the Writers Guild *rarely* worked alone- usually with teams, if I recall my history right.

Quote:
it will never work that way. It has never worked that way, in any content creation community, for any game, that I have ever seen.


At a glance I've seen a few examples in the Skyrim modding community where their projects have become better by use of collaboration. A custom player race that I use, according to the change log, lists that several fixes came in from other developers, regarding things that the main modder had not been able to fix, making the resulting product much more refined and much easier to use. I'm sure that other examples are out there as well for many other games and many other communities, although none strike out off the top of my head as freshly as that one does at the moment.

Actually, most video games in general would not exist if not for a team of producers working together to pool their efforts and make their games as refined as they possibly can! Portal 2, Skyrim, Uru, Riven, Sam & Max, World of Warcraft, Second Life-- all of them games made with teams of people, rather than single individuals working on single things. People can work together to make wonderful and marvelous things! Why limit ourselves with URU ages? I'm sure that not even Cyan's ages were ever done by just *ONE* person!

Trivia Challenge: Can anyone name ONE Cyan Age that was made through and through by one person and one person alone?

Quote:
People's attitudes ARE changing. I see it happening here, already.


Indeed they are, Tai'lahr! :) Indeed they are...

_________________
A-Xros Time and Space Stories | Entering Skyrim


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:27 am
Posts: 30
Location: Redmond, WA
I find it curious how this content creation metagame, of sorts, mirrors the ideals of Uru itself. After all, Uru was meant to provide a multi-player experience in spite of the puzzle/adventure genre typically being single-player. So, why should the task of creating this new content be the dominion of individuals alone?

Are we perhaps fighting an egocentric attitude amongst the creators? That is, does the artist somehow matter more than the art they create? Are folks more interested in personal fame than furthering the potential of Uru? Do not get me wrong. Anyone who is willing to spend the time and energy to design, develop and refine the type of content for which we all have been craving is well deserved of credit, respect and, even, a bit of praise. But, our collective focus must ultimately rest on the new content. I could not care less which specific individuals or teams are involved as long as the Uru experience is being grown in an exciting and faithful manner.

Someone mentioned this earlier that expecting individual contributors to learn all of the ins and outs of creating new ages would mean less participation and longer delays between new content. It only makes sense, then, that the content creation folks should be forming a community of talent, willing to share and collaborate in the best interest of delivering high-quality content at a reasonable cadance. Is this not what the Guild of Writers was intended to become?

Mind you, we should be careful to not force collaboration just as much as we should not require isolation. Certainly, there may be a few folks with enough skills and, more importantly, time, who will be able to contribute awesome experiences with minimal to no outside help. But as time goes on, we will ever more likely encounter people who have a strong passion to help but cannot do it alone.

To set up ourselves for success is to encourage togetherness and cooperation. Any feelings of superiority or self-righteousness with which we we might be struggling need to be checked at the proverbial door.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:19 am 
Well said, Seraku.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
Many good points, however... Only one that I can see is backed up with an important thing.

A released Age.

Many of you talk the talk, but I only see one who has walked the walk. Karkadann.

Been in too many communities, worked on too many projects, different ones, different people, different methodologies...

I've seen too many projects go far, only to collapse near the end.

I've worked on projects with others, too. My line was not that contributors, or collaboration was impossible, unlikely, or incredibly uncommon. However, modellers, etc, jumping at the chance to do someone else's dirty work, as it were? That, that never works. That is uncommon.

I ran the Oblivion modding section of a community called Spellhold Studios, many years ago. I worked on the (original) remake of the Shadow Lord Armour (some one, I hear, made a skimpy version that most people are aware of, today).

I worked with two others to produce a fairly unique character for Oblivion (Avalon, she was quite popular for a while, simply because she was unique, and to many, they felt she looked photorealistic ( so much so my current girlfriend recognized screenshots I showed her, from her time in that community). I have worked with Alienslof, on female models for some things in the OB days. I tested for Nicoroshi and Hobbs, for the Arrows of the Ayelid King. With Dreadnaught, I have made new scribe robes for Fallout 3. I have worked with many, over the years, these are just highlights.

I don't argue that collaboration is not often the way of things. But there are as many great stories of a single person producing something great, and wonderful. You /must/ be prepared to learn. Learning is the only way to produce something great, you don't just walk in, and produce awesome content. Don't think it'll work that way.

Now... as for my D'ni Location? It had collaboration, too. I produced the first fan Age with working Imagers. Music by Oliver Knowles. Modified exporter by gpnmilano, and paradox. Probably some other stuff too. I'm a modder, and have no shame in it, so there's models, textures, altered, from Cyan. Its all a bit of this, a bit of that. Diafero helped with some python bugs I had.

But, as I have said - I do not argue against collaboration. Never did.

EDIT to add:

That said... the only person who decides how a content creator does things? is themselves. no one is getting paid here, no one makes the decisions, other than the individual content creators. Keep that in mind, always.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:14 am
Posts: 52
kaelisebonrai wrote:
That said... the only person who decides how a content creator does things? is themselves. no one is getting paid here, no one makes the decisions, other than the individual content creators. Keep that in mind, always.


Worth repeating.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 71  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: