It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 71  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:50 am 

WIP, not as far along as I'd like it to be, a lot of placeholder textures and I still want to add a few things and weather the surfaces more...

Wondering if I'm even anywhere close to the right path on this. Many things I want to change. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:48 am 
Obduction Backer

Great work, Matt! This place looks vast. Is the first view looking out of a library window into the Great Shaft? Just trying to orient myself. Two quick observations that will probably be moot once you finalize your textures: the floor looks to be made of hardwood planks, but in D'ni, the floors are of stone, usually something that looks like polished marble. Also, you might want to consider tweeking the color of the rug. To my eye, it looks almost like a pool of water. But hey, that's just me. Others might think I'm way out in left field on that. Irregardless, you deserve kudos for your continued enthusiasm and dedication to this project!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 am 

sideshow118 wrote:
Is the first view looking out of a library window into the Great Shaft?

That was actually the original concept, that it would be a room off the Great Shaft. Problem with that, tho, is that by Myst canon, it's not possible to link from one spot to another within the same Age.. Unless you are the Grower, filled with the knowledge of the Maker, like Yeesha, and the rules of the Art are mere suggestions.... So putting it in the Great Shaft would mean it's in D'ni, and therefore it would violate canon to have any linking books there that also link to places in D'ni.

So it's off a "great shaft", but not THE Great Shaft. It's in a different Age.

Quote:
the floor looks to be made of hardwood planks, but in D'ni, the floors are of stone, usually something that looks like polished marble.

I think, once the idea was established that this library isn't in D'ni, there's more flexibilty on the look... not even sure at this point if Sevkor is supposed to have been written by a D'ni.

Quote:
Also, you might want to consider tweeking the color of the rug. To my eye, it looks almost like a pool of water.

Hmm.. now you mention it....

GREAT work, Matt... :shock: :D I actually like the textures you have used so far.. it has a somewhat more modern look than most of what's in the cavern-- but I enjoy that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Very cool! I want to visit it, even without any books!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:15 pm 
Hear, hear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:15 pm 

Malfhok wrote:
Very cool! I want to visit it, even without any books!

Me to,
its coming alone wonderfully Matt, its definitely worth the wait

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:17 pm 

Temp Textures or no, This library looks better than I could have ever imagined, Matt! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 pm 

Great work! Love to go to that age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

You've made a great progress already, matthornb, and I must say that you're
definitely on a wonderful path and heading in the right direction with your visions
and ideas ... This place looks very abandoned and beautiful and inviting at the
same time and all those pedestals for the books are really lovely to look at ...
Yeah, it looks already quite perfect and appropriate for the intended purpose ... :P

I wouldn't weather too much anymore and I like the wood planks ... As sideshow
suggests, tweeking the color of the rug a tiny bit would be good, at first sight you
really think of a water pool, though the color is really nice ... :)

Don't despair, matthornb, you're doing a very delicate, courageous and absolutely
awesome job ... Take your time and enjoy the magic and excitement of it all ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:54 pm 

Echoing what everyone else said. :D This looks wonderful. I like the staircase design, (that's a staircase in the upper-left of the second screen shot right?) It was almost hidden, took me a minute to see it. I'll agree on the rug color, and if I were to nitpick I would say the brick texture could be less obviously repetitive, but you already said that there were a lot of placeholder textures. (And, I mean, it's bricks, brick will be repetitive. I just have a thing about repeated textures, the repeated sky texture in the cleft always annoys me for instance, since it's so obvious. But now I'm on a tangent. Honestly, none of the textures look bad, and these are all just suggestions. The only real problem with the screen shots is that they don't take me there when I touch them. :) )

Anyway, the layout and shape of the age looks magnificent. I imagine weathering would depend on whether the age is supposed to have been restored recently or not, and to what degree. But I think we all trust your judgment, (and you should too,) and you've done an absolutely splendid job so far.

And thank you for that, for all the work and energy and dedication you've poured into this and are pouring into this. A thousand kudos to you! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 am 

I'm improving things steadily, and the input from the community is helping me to do that.

I hope to have a somewhat better version of this area ready to show in a day or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:42 am 

I gotta say it.. Matt, that wood floor and the wooden railing has me wondering how it would look if you did the WHOLE thing with wood textures... Like if it was some kind of cabin!

That's just a whim, tho. And I am torn, because I ALSO like the art-deco-schoolhouse nature of that brown brick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

For those still wondering how fan ages could be implemented into the existing Cyan Nexus:

The room itself:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The note from Laxman:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

And the additional category to the Nexus Screen:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:12 pm 

I am having difficultly reading the note, due too poor lighting in Nexis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:41 pm 

Agreed, the note is too dark.

BTW, sorry but I'll be a bit late in posting an update.
I think the morning of Dec. 11th - tomorrow morning - I'll be ready to post some new material.

After that I'll be wrapping up some other tasks, and then family will arrive for Christmas.

So I figure early January will be the next update after that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 71  Next