It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 71  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

AdamJohnso wrote:
I like how my suggestion of an alternate stamp has been fairly ignored...
Well, I for one had completely missed that suggestion and had to run back through to Page 2 to find it. I think it got lost among the quotes and requotes that followed soon after :? .

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:00 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I did see your alternative stamp idea and I like it. It may prove instrumental to eventually getting fan books into hoods or other Cyan ages. Maybe it should be a Guild of Writers stamp for ages vetted by The Guild of Writers - I don't know. Let's see what you come up with. You could implement it in all the books within all the fan ages the GoW releases or approves. It could also serve the purpose of letting people know where to go for tools or help with content creation. But it's about using the right tool for the right job at the right time. Right now is the time for using the Nexus as a preapproved tool for creating a pilot program to get any fan content at all into MOULa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:14 pm 

New Content, New Content, New Content, a Fan Nexus, a alternate stamp, or New Books and Stones in the caverns, or How bout a Fan Nexus in the Pandorica?

What about it Cyan, We are all waiting on you, no matter what you choose you will never please every one.
You have the Final word Cyan, after all its your game. the final choice is Yours Cyan

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:25 am 

Perhaps if we did get a Fan Nexus, we could use it as a testing ground and if the age proved to be popular it can be put in the Caverns or in the Bevins basically earning a place outside of the Nexus by popular vote

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:46 am 
Creative Kingdoms

"Bevins?"

Never!

Hoods?

Maybe.

Sorry - it had to be said. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:58 am 
Obduction Backer

that a fan nexus is considered the only choice sickens me as a content creator. it belittles my work, and the work of other artists.

This is Cyan's shard, yes. But I care not for their shard. I care not for their ways, their methods. Their methods may've brought the game to life? but their methods have ALSO killed it, many times. Their methods are poorly thought out, poorly implemented. They care not for the follow through. Do you think we'd be in a situation where the game is barely hanging by a thread now if they were good at making a game like uru, good at managing a community? I love Uru, not for the game it is.. But for the *potential* it once had. Potential it has even now - but will never achieve, because of stupidity like this.

The Uru I dream of is an Uru where Cyan has finally moved on, and the rest of us can set about restoring intentions never finished, content never completed, dreams never realised. When the fans begin to grow the tree, when the Deep City breathes again. Because Cyan is not the one to lead us there - they haven't been for years. They need to move on, and actually do what they've been saying they /want/ to do for years -> Give it to us. Rand once said: We don't want to keep any of it anymore, we want to give it all to the fans. Where is this? I do not see it. I see Cyan desperately clinging, futilely to control over something that has only ever caused them to lose money. Business sense suggests -> give it up, give it to the fans. Stop trying to make something that has nearly ended your business, not once, but /twice/ work.

Yet they still cling, making life for those that want to see it live, breathe, and work as the game we all dreamed of sorely difficult.

The hax aren't killing Uru. Never have been. Cyan is killing Uru, more surely than anything else has ever killed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:25 am 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:
that a fan nexus is considered the only choice sickens me as a content creator. it belittles my work, and the work of other artists.

I keep seeing this statement made in both threads about getting fan content into MOULa, but I haven't yet seen an explanation that I've understood. I'm not asking this to incite an argument, but because I truly do not understand and I want to know where you're coming from… Can you (or anyone who is against a Fan Nexus) explain why and how a Fan Nexus belittles your work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Malfhok wrote:
Can you (or anyone who is against a Fan Nexus) explain why and how a Fan Nexus belittles your work?

Many content creators feel this is an insult because it restricts all their content to a certain area of the game specifically marked as distinct, implying that this content is subpar and should not mingle with the rest of Cyan's work. Having seen some Fan Ages, I will say that yes, some Ages are far from the same quality or are not even finished, but I have also seen Fan Ages which are truly beautiful. A discreet notice that this Age is a Fan Age would be sufficient, IMO (like the stamp), so that people would know they should expect different things.

Additionally, putting all fan content in one bag is against one of the principles of Uru Live, which is to have an evolving world with an evolving story. Not making the effort to tie it to existing story (or at least create new story threads) means this content is essentially just a few fans' attempts at mimicking (and not creating) Cyan's work - and this is what I think truly annoys some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Lyrositor wrote:
I have also seen Fan Ages which are truly beautiful.

Yes, some ages are truly beautiful; some might even be better quality than Cyan ages. So, you wouldn't want people to think those were created by Cyan, either. They might get their hopes up and believe Cyan is re-investing itself in Uru.

Lyrositor wrote:
Additionally, putting all fan content in one bag is against one of the principles of Uru Live, which is to have an evolving world with an evolving story. Not making the effort to tie it to existing story...

The existing story is quite simple and left plenty of room for all fan ages - good, bad, ugly, or brilliant - that is that some explorers learned to write ages and now, hopefully, we'll get to see the results. And, if you're really concerned about sticking to the story, then you have to ask yourself, what would the DRC do in this case? They would make every effort to distinguish explorer-written ages from those written by the D'ni and vetted by themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Lyrositor. That's very helpful.

I don't believe that Cyan's intent is to distinguish the fan Ages from their own in a bad way. I think the main concern here is just what RAWA said: Cyan doesn't want to be liable (legally) in the case of something inappropriate being contained in one of the fan Ages.

With that in mind, would a Fan Nexus be acceptable if the DRC "warning" was more like this?

"--NOTICE-- While we are pleased to present a Nexus of Ages that have been restored by Explorers, we wish to remind you that they have not been vetted by the DRC. Enter at your own risk, and keep your Yeesha Book close at hand. - Victor Laxman"

Or some other such re-write. Something that would praise Explorers for having restored Ages and enriched our knowledge of D'ni, while still giving a characteristic DRC disclaimer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
The existing story is quite simple and left plenty of room for all fan ages - good, bad, ugly, or brilliant - that is that some explorers learned to write ages and now, hopefully, we'll get to see the results. And, if you're really concerned about sticking to the story, then you have to ask yourself, what would the DRC do in this case? They would make every effort to distinguish explorer-written ages from those written by the D'ni and vetted by themselves.

AFAIK, Ages can't be created by normal humans. These were merely "discovered".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:29 pm 
Ages aren't created, they have links Written to them.

Humans, or ahrotahntee, can, I repeat, can, Write, provided they have learned how to, and they have a Book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well I know humans can, but I thought explorers can't write links since they've never had training. How can explorers learn to Write then?

(Sliding into off-topic now... Sorry...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:02 pm 

Have you ever held on to something because it has nostalgic value, even though its no longer profitable, stocks, a business or perhaps a video game,I know I have. Sometimes you just hold on to something in hopes it will one day become what you always dreamed. You wanna keep it the way it was because it has so much meaning for you.

Cyan has a lot of meaning to them and us and Uru will always be part of Cyan, but their comes a time in the life of every parent where you just hafta let go, whether that means allowing you child to move out and live life on their own or releasing your brain child to the fans. If you cant take your child (whether its a brain child or offspring) to the next level of development, (independent living) you hafta trust them to do the right thing. All you can do is give them the tools they need to deal with what awaits them.

If Cyan can take Uru to the next level of development but their a business and a business is out to make money, the fans will do it for free because they love what you have done and want to take it to the next level, but Randi we can only do it if you let us,

If you love something set it free if it comes back, its truly yours

E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:24 pm 
Does it matter exactly how they learn? Perhaps they read many Descriptive Books and worked out what each symbol means. Who cares how? All that matters is that they did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 71  Next