It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fan Content
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the .

MacOS , , , .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:22 am 

Any idea when where gonna get some fan ages? I remember at first everyone was all gung ho about adding new ages, the programmers seemed a bit resentful over the segregation of the fan ages, but I don't remember to many age writers having an issue with it. We where gonna have new fan ages, unfinished Cyan ages finished by fan, two Nexes's, a fan age library. The new T shirts age great unfortunately you can't explore a t shirt. So im kinda wondering is this still gonna happen or is it just a pipe dream?

I submitted the ruff idea for a fan age library to the Getaway team a while back in hopes of getting some more feed back and haven't got so much as "it looks bloody awful do it over" unfortunately Im a bit of a moron as far as how to submit it to Cyan assuming its even good enough and they have time to tell me whats wrong with it if its not. Keep in mind Iv always worked solo getting help from who ever's willing

So im kinda wondering, realistically speaking is this gonna happen?
whats your thoughts on the subject

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:12 am 
Creative Kingdoms

It might help to proactively contact everyone in the group - instead of just a post - to say hi, ask what they think of your work, and see how things are going. It could inspire something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

^This.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:52 pm 

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:57 pm 

how bout this for an idea;

Make is so we users can create link books in OUR libraries or Relto that link to OUR copies of all the previous MYST games. All we would have to do is prove (once) that we own the original disks.

As an overview this makes a lot of sense.

The tricky part would be making the oldest versions work, perhaps a very small fee could be extracted from those of us who like the idea of one spot to enter the MYST world......

I can't imagine it would take all that much coding to provide those hooks. But then I am not a coder!

On further thought, those books might not have to be limited to only Myst games. A linking book could easily put MOULA into sleep mode while invoking whatever game we wanted.

Maybe one place for single person games, and another place for multi-player games.

Last edited by dj_ on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:59 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Karkadann,

You know everyone in the group. Look them up. If you can't make the effort to follow through on that for yourself, how much do you really have left for content creation?

Further, the biggest mistake matthornb made when he made the first effort at the Library design and model, was to listen to everyone AND do everything they asked even when when opinions were contradictory. The results were perfectly predictable - burnout and loss of interest. Yes, listen to everyone, consider what they have to say and let it influence you. But if you have a vision to offer, stick to it, keep going, and discard the ideas and opinions that YOU decide don't belong in your work. The community will like it or they won't, but your idea WILL get tested and seen by the community once you implement it. If you're the only one who makes the commitment to get it done, you win. If there are multiple ideas that get implemented and tested, competition and diversity win. Illegitimi non carborundum.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:14 pm 

If I can weigh in a little here...

Maybe what we need is a statement of intent from Cyan regarding the Cavern. In other words, what is the long term future for it. (If there is one)

I realise there is Obduction going on at the moment, but I have been waiting for Fan Content for years, as have a lot of other people and there appears to have been virtually no progress to get there. We can't even bring in new players at the moment.

If perhaps someone would come forward and say "Yes, we will have fan ages in MOULa by the end of..", perhaps then it would motivate people to start working on bringing badly needed content to create new worlds, as well as bringing in those Ages already available in the various shards and bring fresh players to not only keep MOULa going, but to invigorate and expand it. Maybe to the point of redeveloping it to make it up to date with (example) Unreal or whatever.

There again, if MOULa has no future on Cyan's part, could it be handed over to those who would like to keep it alive, with Cyan keeping a hands-off overseeing role?

I have my own ideas what I would like to see in game and have dabbled a little in trying to realise it in some fashion. But I would like to do this with a sense of knowing what the future of the Cavern will be, maybe if it was just a reassurance of some kind and we will finally reach our goal of seeing everyone's wonderful work in the Cavern at some time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:13 am 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:59 am 

There has been progress done, no doubt about that (copy & paste is a much apprechiated feature, the client is much more stable these days). But after all those years, to answer the question why I should link to the cavern is getting harder. Personally, I've given up the hope that there will be changes in the cavern.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:04 am 
Creative Kingdoms

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:31 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't need motivation to work on Ages, I need time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:51 am 

E=mc2

Last edited by Karkadann on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:27 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I think it likely that everyone's hard work will be seen, tested and used, even if it's not ultimately "The" Gateway on MOULa. It could be repurposed on MOULa, and other shards are free to do different things.

Finally, I get the sense that there's an assumption of finality in the choice for Gateway. That is not so. If the community finds the choice unsatisfactory, it can be changed. Or each new year can rotate the Gateway through various selections. Or maybe only leap years. We should be so lucky to have that opportunity.

It might be something Yogi Berra could have said that "The rock is hard, but it's not set in stone."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next