It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 5:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Seltani journal
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

(From: http://seltani.net)

Success!

(I've always wanted to write that in a journal.)

The linking book for Goldspring Island lies open on the table before me. I pick up my freshly-made booklet, open it to a blank page, and press it face-down onto the Goldspring linking page.

I feel the tingle of contact. When I lift the booklet, it has been impressed with a copy of the Goldspring linking panel. The image is clearly live.

The final test: I hold the booklet in one hand and lay my other hand on the new page. The world dissolves, and I am standing on the Lake shore -- with the booklet. Reflexive linking!

No, I am not become Yeesha. I suspect she constructed Relto along completely different lines. My technique relies on the referential structure built into my linking books. I couldn't copy one of the old D'ni books this way. (Much less the mysterious Bahro tablets.) Nonetheless, the effect is the same.

It won't be hard to manufacture these booklets. Add a Goldspring link to each one, then start passing them out among the old Uru crowd... I need to add a few features before I go public, but I'm close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:26 pm 

(This is just the start of an IC story right? The part on the website about discovering cool new writing techniques isn't a hint that you've come up with some cool new technique for fan ages? The website looks cool in any case, you've done some cool stories on this board before so I expect whatever you have in store now will be pretty awesome! :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Wow, the previous journal entry is even more interesting - and promising. Looking forward to seeing where this leads. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:16 am 
Obduction Backer

(OOC details in this thread: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26320)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's always a few more features, isn't it?

My original plan was to hack open a few genuine *ki* devices and add some components, so that they'd sync with my linking booklets. But I don't want to rely on Gahreesen access. Second plan: buy a bunch of iPod Touches and hack them... yeah, too expensive.

What I've got now is an Arduino controller, glued right into the back cover of the booklet. It runs a D'ni transform grammar that integrates with the "live" ink self-representation of the book pages. Presto: a dynamic status display! Shows your current Age, instance, and (as a bonus) who created the place. (By cross-link to the booklet of the writer. Obviously, all me at this point, but I've done some testing with aliased booklets.)

This will also serve for contact info, messages, etc, when I get to that stage. Pulling out a "tablet" to check this stuff isn't as cool as looking at the back of your hand. Sorry! But mass manufacture is more important at this point.

In other news, I've decided that Goldspring isn't the best gathering point for a new community. Too small! I've started clearing out a neighborhood district on the Cavern wall. I think it's a few centuries older than Bevin or Kirel, and the lamps don't work, but it's a nice space and we can probably clear more buildings if it gets crowded.

I'll keep using Goldspring as my personal study, and a library of my in-progress experiments.

I'm still hoping to start inviting people downstairs in early June. It's just a question of getting the district tidied up, and then finishing a couple of solid Ages to demonstrate the model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

The past few days have been terrible for restoration work. I apologize. I was out of town for the US holiday, and this week I need to concentrate on an unrelated project.

I did make some notes on a new Age, a tiny floating ecosystem. Next week, I'll get back to Goldspring and start sorting out the ontographical basis for the work. But right now, I have to write code. And mail the rent check.

You know how when you only want to work on one thing, and it's not everything else you need to work on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:03 pm 
Do we have an estimate for how long this will take to become available? I've tried out the demo, and does it look awesome or what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm still saying "early June". *How* early depends on how tidy I want things to be before I let strangers in to see it!

It will definitely take longer than that before I can make good on my promise of simple, fast Age creation for everybody. I'm still taking a lot of shortcuts that aren't suitable for public use, and that won't change in the next ten days. One step at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:21 am 
Obduction Backer

It would be awesome if you could add multiplayer support. However, that would be much more difficult than the basic interactive setup. You would have to add text chat (possibly buddy lists) and add to room descriptions when a second person entered or exited the same room. Perhaps add descriptions of sounds caused by other people in nearby rooms, etc.

I'm still looking forward to seeing your text age.

David Tierce

This post inspected by: Maintainer #165
MOULa-Ki: 15763576
GEHN-Ki: 00022090
DI-Ki: 00145074

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:22 am 
Obduction Backer

(Replies to out-of-character questions are in the other thread: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26320)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yesterday I swept the district plaza one more time, laid out some of my Age books in a handy assembly chamber, and topped off the diesel generator on Goldspring. Then I linked to the surface and left a stack of booklets on the side table at a Guild of Writers meetup.

Looks good! I've only had a few visitors so far, but the roof didn't fall in on them. The worst problem was a highlighting bug in the booklet index -- I'll look at the Arduino code this weekend.

We spent some time talking about how the New Writers might develop. I do not want to wind up as the gatekeeper of a new demi-Guild, deciding which Ages are *in* or *out* for the rest of my life. (Either by placing books in the district library, or by creating a replacement "Nexus".)

Ideally, once there are many Age links to collect, other people will start building their own libraries. (I have a sample one designed already, although I haven't finalized the book.) I can then just stock the district with links to libraries. In fact, it will eventually be possible for people to offer each other links directly -- like you can do with a Relto book -- so people could get on entirely without me.

Of course none of this is meaningful until I document the Age-writing process and get it into everybody's hands. So, back to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just linked in to have a look around, and I must say, it's amazing how far you've come with such simple tools in such a short time. Using the Arduino as a "link controller" offers some really cool possibilities. When I have a few moments, I'll do some more exploring. I would definitely like to learn more about the specifics of the referential structures in your books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Set out a better assortment of jellybeans at the orientation table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
Set out a better assortment of jellybeans at the orientation table.

wow, that's service! :wink:

Just in time for the weekend when RL may let me visit again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

just visited - yum! Afraid I was rather too greedy, and I regret it now.

But I had been in a celebratory mood, as I had at last got somewhere via leafspin [spoiler]- but the lever didn't work when I pulled it....[/spoiler]