It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 am 
Obduction Backer

So for the last 2 months or so I've been busy getting native Oculus Rift support into the Plasma engine, since any version of Myst is practically the most perfect style of game for the hardware (if you don't know what the Oculus Rift is then check out http://www.oculusvr.com/). So far, I've gotten stereoscopic rendering, post-processing shaders and head-tracking implemented, letting you look and walk about in the world freely.

There's still quite a bit to do regarding usability, the GUI, KI and books are still drawn in 2D and hotspots in the game don't match up with what is drawn so a bit of guesswork is required to operate anything but the basics are now down.

If anyone has any feedback for things they'd like to see, whether video or feature requests then please feel free to let me know.

(Added from a post further down)
Something else I forgot to put in my initial post is a link to my github repository. If you know your way around cmake and Visual Studio then feel free to give the code a whirl, but be warned that it's in a very fluid and hacked together state right now (I'd also recommend using my version of LibOVR located here since I've had to make a few changes to the SDK in order to it working with Plasma). For example, changing the resolution or going into fullscreen will crash the game, so take it with a grain of salt. I've been using the H-uru branch of CWE from the Guild of Writers as my codebase, so a major thank you goes out to them, Cyan and anyone else who has contributed to the CWE engine so far. (Putting this in my initial post for clarity).

This project is my contribution to the Myst community, which has shaped my interests and career choices over the last several years, so it's about time I gave something back. :D

Last edited by Mystfit on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:15 pm 

:shock:

If this is real, it's pretty awesome! I'd be interested in seeing some of the ages - Relto isn't that impressive, unfortunately. How about Gahreesen, Teledahn or the city, they all have some impressive landscapes that would be nice to see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

There's very little stereo separation in this video -- I had to look very hard to convince myself that there was any. Is this normal for OR applications?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm 

Awesome! I'm glad to see the head tracking's working! :33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:53 pm 

belford wrote:
There's very little stereo separation in this video -- I had to look very hard to convince myself that there was any. Is this normal for OR applications?

Depends on how far away your "object of interest" is. You should check the scene where the Cleft pillar is about to leave the view - pause it there and you'll see that on one side you see more of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:18 pm 

This looks amazing! Now I want a pair of those goggles and to replay the box set of URU

KI #12987306

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:59 am 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
The stereo separation values need to be tweaked but the depth is there. It might be hard to see without wearing a Rift because the barrel distortion makes it harder to predict the location of objects in 3D space if you just use the cross-eyed method.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 am 

I was so hoping that someone with the skills and the love of Myst would do this, I was an Oculus Rift Kickstarter backer http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game and I'm delighted to see what you have already achieved, great work a credit to you, please keep us updated on your progress, I'm laughing like an idiot at the thought of roaming through Myst in VR :lol: :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 am 

Let's just say it is possible to make Oculus Rift compatible with MOULa / Uru (a certain person who knows what they are talking about has stated publicly that they don't think it can), OR on it's own is a bit pointless, I may as well port the game to two small monitors and strap those to my eyes for all the difference it would make.

BUT

If you are talking OR & Omni (what's Omni? this is Omni) THEN we are talking Uru / MOULa as it was meant to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alien wrote:
Let's just say it is possible to make Oculus Rift compatible with MOULa / Uru (a certain person who knows what they are talking about has stated publicly that they don't think it can), OR on it's own is a bit pointless, I may as well port the game to two small monitors and strap those to my eyes for all the difference it would make.

BUT

If you are talking OR & Omni (what's Omni? this is Omni) THEN we are talking Uru / MOULa as it was meant to be.

You'd be surprised how effective those two small monitors strapped to your eyes are for making a space believable. :D
I've found most the most convincing element of the Rift so far has been the very responsive head tracking for looking about freely, but I agree that better mechanisms need to be developed for controlling the orientation of the player. At the moment I have to control the avatar orientation with the keyboard as per the norm, but rotating the view with the arrow keys breaks the sense of immersion pretty heavily. However, every time I stop and look around with just my head, I get a pretty amazing sense of scale. There is a still lot of work to be done in tweaking the eye settings as well for making a convincing experience.

I haven't considered Omni support yet but I can't imagine it would be too hard to integrate in. I have some directional sensors lying around that I want to use to play the game with by standing up and using my hip orientation to choose a direction to walk in. When it's released, Omni support could be extended off that.

Something else I forgot to put in my initial post is a link to my github repository. If you know your way around cmake and Visual Studio then feel free to give the code a whirl, but be warned that it's in a very fluid and hacked together state right now (I'd also recommend using my version of LibOVR located here since I've had to make a few changes to the SDK in order to it working with Plasma). For example, changing the resolution or going into fullscreen will crash the game, so take it with a grain of salt. I've been using the H-uru branch of CWE from the Guild of Writers as my codebase, so a major thank you goes out to them, Cyan and anyone else who has contributed to the CWE engine so far. (Putting this in my initial post for clarity).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:36 pm 

Oculus Rift is turning up everywhere. I suggest taking a quick look through YouTube for Oculus Rift. People’s reactions give you an idea of how impressive the device can be. :shock: Looking at the images for Rift with anything other than a Rift headset doesn’t do it justice.

The retail versions of the headsets are planned to be out in 2014, about a year from now. The cost was estimated at US$300. But, recently game companies have suggested they may be willing to subsidize the cost to lower it. They are hoping to entice more people to buy their Oculus Rift compatible games. So, we may see the cost drop substantially. Also, if they are as popular as many think they will be, we will see the economies of scale kick in and drop the price thus creating a positive feedback cycle driving the price down further. May be…

In Second Life one of the problems being considered is the user interface. One does so much in-world that is not going to be translatable to head motions. Use of a mouse, keyboard, or something is going to be needed. My first thought is LEAP Motion. I think a Rift headset and a LEAP controller would be ideal.

The LEAP control is retailing this year at US$80. The first version was shipped to pre-order SDK customers a year ago. I am planning to use LEAP with SL. I am unsure how adaptable it is. I know the SL developer was making custom coding for the LEAP Controller. But, I don’t know if that is mandatory. In know Space Navigator has special setup features in SL. However, the Navigator can be used with most 3D programs without alteration to the game. (Video) So, MOUL may not have to be changed to accommodate the LEAP.

I can’t see OMNI catching on that well. The estimated price of US$250 isn’t bad. (Demo) In the demo you can see it is being used with the Oculus Rift. My problem is; where am I going to put it? It has to contain a human, so it is limited in how small it can be. I suspect that is going to be a problem for many people.

But, OMNI looks to work extremely well with the Rift headset.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've never been a huge gaming fanatic in terms of needing the latest gotta-have-it gizmos. A good PC and my Myst games (along with other well-executed adventure games, of course) have always been enough for me. But I think all that's going to change once the Rift become available. To experience Uru through those VR goggles :shock: :!: I'm thrilled to know skilled members of the community are working on this. Way to go, Mystfit!

My only concern is that I might like it too much. I don't have an addictive personality, but I could easily imagine getting so enamoured with experience a VR Uru that I wouldn't want to come out. Ever.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Some more test footage.

I was only going to record a small amount of footage for testing but got sucked into playing through the entire Cleft. Whoops.

Couple of notes about this build. Interacting with GUI geometry (options menu, pages) is still dodgy, so that's why I get stuck when picking up the last page. My options somehow reset before filming so I couldn't open the options to turn forced first-person camera on (makes going up and down ladders much more immersive that's for sure).

The biggest thing that stood out for me during this playthrough was the height of the cleft when standing at the bottom. I was getting a very convincing sense of the height of the canyon whenever the build decided to cooperate and run at 60fps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Looks pretty awesome, Mystfit ... everything looks a bit circular or semi-circular, and you cannot watch this cross-eyed in one go, but one gets a nice impression of the 'real thing' already ... no need to mention the 'naked one' as someone else did that already on YouTube lol ... :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah I think I can fix the missing right eye avatar textures, it's just how I've approached the stereoscopic rendering that's causing them to be skipped in the right viewport.