It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Master's Thesis on Uru
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:21 am 
Obduction Backer

This is a master's thesis from the Georgia Tech School of Literature, Media and Communication, by Nicholas Watson, a student of Celia Pearce (for those of you familiar with her work on Uru) - the link is to a pdf of the thesis:

Game Developing, the D’ni Way: How Myst/Uru Fans inherited the Cultural Legacy of a Lost Empire

Pretty interesting reading. Here's the part that made me drool:

"Field research at Cyan also included a guided tour of the workspaces, of which I made several sketches and maps. I was given access to several filing boxes, containing thousands of pages of design documentation, including sketched puzzle diagrams, finished artwork, architectural drawings, multiple iterations of puzzle design specifications, internal technical manuals for using Uru-related production tools and in-game developer commands, internal correspondence and market research studies."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:27 am 

DOH!

I put aside playing URU for a few years so I could finish a master's thesis when I could have done this instead for the same degree?!? :evil:

I'm an idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:38 am 

This was a very interesting read. :)

Very eye opening for me. ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Interesting... very interesting. I'm most interested in the statement, "There remains the question of how unique the Uru situation is" and all the questions that followed it.

Thanks for finding and sharing this, Zardoz.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:24 am 
Obduction Backer

This is an almost unbelievable, comprehensive and almost all inclusive treasure chest for almost absolutely everything Uru/Myst/D'ni universe, the 'real stuff', means real original intentions and visions etc. from almost the first visionary thought and actual manifestation/realization in all its variations up to today and into the future in all its complexity and potentiality ... and this is even partially beautifully illustrated with original pictures, charts and concepts from 'behind the scenes' ... :P

Thanks, Zardoz, what a treat and gift for every Uru/Myst nerd/obsessed or perceived D'ni descendant ... Such profound, all-encompassing and deep commitment and dedication doesn't cease to amaze me again and again and sometimes just blows me away ... Thanks again for sharing ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree, Janaba, it's a wonderfully written historical account - except for the fact that 90 percent of the names were changed. I'm very curious about the reasoning behind that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Maybe names weren't considered important and so the efforts to contact everyone have just been avoided, but this is just speculation, of course, so, we're still waiting for facts, please ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's a standard identity protection measure, likely even mandated by his university. Even if no real-life names were involved, even your online identity may have a lot of history and a social network attached that may be worth protecting. There are some hints at it in Nic’s introductory posts on the Guild of Writers and OpenUru.org forums as well as the consent form linked from them.

Plus it gives us a puzzle – figure out who is who! (Hint: one of them is me!) :P

(Thanks for the notice, Zardoz! I wasn’t aware that the final thesis had been published now, I only read a draft at some point.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christian Walther wrote:

Plus it gives us a puzzle – figure out who is who! (Hint: one of them is me!) :P

Hmm, CW, could it be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
BV
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh, yeah, I figured out most of them (you were easy), but wasn't going to post names not knowing why they were changed. Thanks for the explanation, Christian.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:37 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm glad to see Nicholas's final result! I have no small amount of pride in my state's universities.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
I agree, Janaba, it's a wonderfully written historical account - except for the fact that 90 percent of the names were changed. I'm very curious about the reasoning behind that.

When I finished my bachelor's thesis on Mysterium, I was told that even if my informants consented to having their actual online handle used, that I would need to pseudonymize them anyway. Handles, like real names, carry a wealth of history and background, and are thus equally worthy of protection.