It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A D'ni Character?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:03 pm 

[Sorry if this is the wrong forum. It seemed to fit the best here since it isn't directly related to the game and involves creative works and all.]
I have a tendency to make character for worlds of games I really like or love and the Myst universe is no exception.
I ended up making a D'ni character who survived the Fall of D'ni by entering a Linking Book and getting lucky that it was one overlooked by Veovis and A'Gaeris, probably by its location or maybe her hiding it just in case. She spends a portion of her lifetime there before eventually returning to the cavern with a linking book back she found and discovers it in ruins.

I don't want to make her unbelieveable so I was hoping for suggestions and tips on making her fit in more?
And what kind of jobs or work or such would a D'ni woman really have? Or would they just be the stay-at-home type after school was done and dealt with? I don't recall any female guild members or such from when I read the book or what I have read of the lore and seen in game. But my memory isn't that great either.

Post subject: Re: A D'ni Character?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah ElegantHope,

Wow, sounds like a fun project you have started here! :)

My memory isn't great about the details either, but I believe women weren't allowed into the Guilds. I remember that Aitrus taught Ti'ana how to Write, which was controversial not merely because she was a surface dweller, but also because she was female.

The D'ni tended to view women as spiritual leaders, hence many of their temples were run by women and spiritual advisors to the kings also tended to be women. It would certainly fall within known canon for your surviving D'ni woman to have been involved with D'ni religion in some manner, perhaps a priestess or temple caretaker.

I will be interested to learn more about her!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:06 am 

Shorah, Ainia. Thanks for the answer. :3
That seems good. I'll try to think of something based on that for her history before the fall then. :3

I'd share more but I don't have much fleshed out for her at the moment. I mostly only have her appearance (ignoring the dagger, was part of something I scrapped for her when I realized it wouldn't work for her at all. Pants are there because she would figure it's easier to get around the rubble and debri over a skirt, dress, or robe. also not my artwork, I was just using a chibi doll maker for basic looks |D) and a basic personality for her.
I figure she'd scavenge around a lot in the ruins but wouldn't be looking for contact with other survivors since she has gotten used to the solitude and actually enjoys it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:12 am 
Obduction Backer

Though they weren't allowed in the 18 Major Guilds, D'ni women were able to be members of the Minor Guilds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

What Talashar said. In 3500 under King Ti'amel women were allowed to be educated by and become members of minor guilds. These minor guilds included Education, Achitecture, Banking, Miners, Scupters, Artists, Musicians, Actors. There were also the Illustionists but that was really a front.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:03 pm 

Thanks for the help guys. :3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Whatever profession you assign to her, I do hope she'll be a strong woman with characteristics like Ti'ana and Catherine. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone,

Thanks for the details Talashar and westar! :) I had a feeling I wasn't remembering some of the historic details (I *really* miss the MystLore web site!!!).

I'm guessing that if this D'ni woman has survived the fall and is returning to D'ni, she must be strong, resilient and independent (else she wouldn't have survived the past 250 years at all). And I would think she must have been fairly young at the time of the fall. At the very least, she must be old and wise by now… :)