It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 4:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Apparently the ongoing restoration work drained the remaining Zandi fortune, for Dr. Watson seems to have approached Rand Miller about creating a game (Myst) that would tell a small portion of the story of the then-last-known D'ni survivors, Atrus and his family. Again, these records were known through Katran's journals, though I've never read or heard where, when or by whom they were discovered. The intent of this game was two-fold, firstly to help fund the DRC restoration activities and secondly to begin obliquely disclosing the existence of the D'ni along with its implications to our surface human history.

Great summary of the story Ania, just a few things you mentioned that it was Watson who fed the journals to the Millers to create the Myst saga. This isn't true. It was actually Elias that did that. He, Watson, and John Loftin discovered the journals during their first trip to Ae'gura in 1990. It was there that they found Katran's journals. Elias decided that the best way to reveal the existence of the D'ni was slowly over time. Jeff was friends with Rod Miller, so Elias through his son, was put into contact with Rand and Robyn. The games were created from Catherine's journals as a means to get let word about D'ni get out in a very subtle way, as you mentioned. However there was no funding issue at this time. Watson then in 92 began to communicate with the Millers himself as point man on the project. (More blurring of Dr. Watson, and the real life RAWA)

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Shorah Afalstein,

Looking at BoA as the first clear disclosure of the cavern's existence (it was published while Cyan was developing Mudpie, their Uru prototype (OOC); or during the DRC's early work on cavern restoration (IC)), I would expect Cyan/DRC to avoid disclosing its genuine location in order to protect their work from meddlers, the idle curious or government/military seizure.

Actually, the BoA was published in 1995 while they were in production of Riven. Work on Mudpie didn't even begin until after the BoD was published, which was around the time of Riven's release.

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the corrections Chloe and Vector! :) The restoration history is now a tiny bit clearer for me.

That's quite interesting, the connection between Watson, the Zandis and the Millers. So it appears that *all* the Miller boys have been a part of the D'ni saga; I'd been thinking Rod has had no involvement since I'd never found anything that said otherwise. But then, the original DRC forums are long dead and gone, so whatever historic records they contain have been out of reach for me. I don't suppose anyone has an archived copy of them? They aren't on the Wayback Machine... :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Thanks for the corrections Chloe and Vector! :) The restoration history is now a tiny bit clearer for me.

That's quite interesting, the connection between Watson, the Zandis and the Millers. So it appears that *all* the Miller boys have been a part of the D'ni saga; I'd been thinking Rod has had no involvement since I'd never found anything that said otherwise. But then, the original DRC forums are long dead and gone, so whatever historic records they contain have been out of reach for me. I don't suppose anyone has an archived copy of them? They aren't on the Wayback Machine... :(

I've been under the impression that the stuff on the drc forums is complete. Prior to their opening in august of 2002 the updates came from the sites news feed on the main page, which dates back to February of 2002. Then they opened the forums so that there would be a better discussion place that could be more detailed then a few quick snippets.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Some interesting info about Descent for those who are curious:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
So, in one of Esher's speeches from Myst V's Descent, he says that the surface is three miles above them. This is when he's standing at the balcony over looking the floor of the Great Shaft. In actuality this is a mistake, the actual Great Shaft, as seen in the game is a little over 2500 feet from where he's standing, to the balcony at the top of the Great Shaft, and in the height between there and the surface and you're just a little over half a mile from the surface to the bottom of the Shaft. We can tell this because in Plasma, each Max (or blender) unit is equal to one foot in game. Cyan accomplished this blurring of the size of the shaft by the camera cut that takes place during your first elevator trip from the top to Watson's Tomahn. The cinematic that plays when you take the elevator has a camera at the top, then when the elevator can't be seen because of the fog, the camera switches to another one at the bottom, where we see the elevator approach. Because the elevators are controlled by counter weights and gears, there is no way for the elevator to cover the distance of three miles in such a short time.

I'd always wondered if there were more elevators than the two we saw and used in EoA since the time and apparent distances in the EoA cutscenes didn't match the size/distances shown on Aitrus's map.

BTW, I very much enjoyed seeing how you have corrected the relative locations and distances of the tunnel system features! :D As they stand in EoA, the top-level tomahn and the high ceiling of the shaft would be floating somewhere out in the New Mexico desert, which has always bugged me.

ChloeRhodes wrote:
I've been under the impression that the stuff on the drc forums is complete. Prior to their opening in august of 2002 the updates came from the sites news feed on the main page, which dates back to February of 2002. Then they opened the forums so that there would be a better discussion place that could be more detailed then a few quick snippets.

I'd been under the impression that some older DRC forums had once existed, predating what we see at the official site. I may have misinterpreted what I'd found/read, though. Clearly, RAWA has been answering explorer questions since the late 1990s, so perhaps this is where I got that impression. Very little still remains from those older discussions, so it's been difficult to map out the old information sources (not having been present myself in those days).

If someone could illuminate this for me, it would be enormously helpful! I've been trying to search out any historic remnants via the Wayback Machine or copied/archived content from older forums and fan websites but it's been a tedious, hit-and-miss process so far.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 am 

Info question for the next chapter--does anyone know whether the relto books have writing like most Age books, or are they all pictograms?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Since the book opens, like most linking books, with the linking panel near the front, and then the pictograms behind that, and then more pages. I'd assume it has both pictograms and regular age writing. :D

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live