It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey everyone,

Just want to say that I'm launching a new Myst website called Myst Revival. It's intended as a central hub to discuss all things Myst, Uru and D'ni along with fan projects.

Suggestions welcome! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Because we really need another website/forum....?????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Why not? Right now the Myst fanbase needs all the love it can get. Cyan have their own forums and this place here is really for MOUL. I'm hoping to make it a D'ni/Myst hub of some kind, which seems to be lacking at the moment.

...and please refrain from being rude. Constructive criticism is what is needed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
AdamJohnso wrote:
Because we really need another website/forum....?????
Really? That old argument, again? No, we don't need one, but it's encouraging to see that some fans are still passionate enough about the game to create a website. It's a creative expression of their particular take on the Myst universe. And, maybe it will help to preserve and carry forward some of the information that might be lost with the closure of older sites.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:00 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

As far as I know, the Uru Obsession (UO) admins still haven't made their content, such as extensive walkthroughs, available to other websites and a community that could really use it, perhaps on a website like this. UO shut down December 2011. Nalates mentioned in a post that "there [was] a comment in the thread at UO that they will archive the DB and possibly make some parts of it public." Trekluver, janaba, and others also archived forum threads and content. OpenUru.org made an offer to be an archive but that wasn't accepted. My concern, as it always has been, was that the private archive efforts wouldn't matter because digital data degrades over time via hard drive crashes, purges when people need the storage for other things, changes in technology leaving old storage behind to eventually fail, and replaced computers with incomplete migrations or none at all. Even in the "cloud," sharing sites like Photobucket shut down or inevitably monetize and accounts and content are lost. And perhaps most of all, even if there are 50 private archives, they aren't publicly available to help the community.

See the UO shutdown and archival discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25292

To anyone who laments the loss of websites like UO, I'd like to see its content resurrected in a place like this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow thanks JWPlatt! This is exactly my train of thought. As an oldschool UOer from the Mudpie days I feel its loss has in many ways decentralized the Myst community. Myst Community.com's traffic has decreased steadily since 2008 or so and the Cyan forums are more specific to Cyan as a company and less focused on Myst lore, as well as the fact that anything we do or say there Cyan will see directly. Its a little intimidating.

MOUL forums on the other hand are very specific to MOUL and again are tied to the Cyan server. The goal here, as ambitious as it might seem is to provide a place akin to what UO or MystCommunity would have been circa 2002, a MREDUREOA fan hub.

I'll definitely look into this. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like it; the Games section in particular is a nice visual summary of the series. One minor issue is that at the moment most (if not all) of the Myst Wiki links are edit link. Another one would be using curly quotes instead of straight ones, but that’s just my pet peeve :)

I don’t really have suggestions here, apart I guess avoiding making it a ‘general’ forum, have instead a specific topic or guideline. Thinking on my keyboard, I can come up with two ideas: the simple one could be collecting/promoting (Myst- or non-Myst-but-Cyan-related, like Osmo) fanfiction not complying with the RAWA rules. The complex (and vague) one could be about the non-english-speaking Uru communities, what they do, how they adapted the lore in their respective languages and so on.

JWPlatt wrote:
As far as I know, the Uru Obsession (UO) admins still haven't made their content, such as extensive walkthroughs, available to other websites and a community that could really use it, perhaps on a website like this.

I was too early or too late for Uru Obsession: years ago, the sites I was aware of and consulted were The D’ni Desk, Riven Illuminated, the ‘riedl’ Guild of Linguists and few others. So I only got to see the closing message from that site. I’d love to see its contents, of course, but you’ll understand that to someone like me it has little significance.
As far as walkthroughs go, between the (intermittently online) old Greeters’ tutorials, the Guild of Sleepers’ forums and J’ffrey’s PDF guide, it would seem to me that there’s enough coverage.
J’ffrey’s guide, in particular, was my favorite for the very reason that it’s available in PDF format. This also hold true for Ainia’s site, and for Domahreh’s The D’ni Student. So, if the UO contents gets available again and if it’s feasible, I think it would be great to have it in PDF, too.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:32 pm 

Nice job on the site :)! Keep up the good work!

On the topic of anouther forum this is something we(the fans) will have to decide if we want or not, but you never really know unless you try.

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Did some reworking:

Changed the forum theme (sorry it was claustrophobic).

Added a Fan Fiction section along with a project proposals and general brainstorming section for ideas on how to expand and promote the Myst universe.

Reorganized the layout to be slightly more intuitive.

Added Links section.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Is it worth adding a Seltani section on the Projects page?

I can't give you splashy artwork, but Seltani is a Ur-based project and it's up and running.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm MORE than happy to help support another/ new Myst site. Good work, Yali, I'm heading over there right now! :mrgreen:

Ki #00324282
The D'ni Art Archive
Exploration Journal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:15 am 
Obduction Backer

I love Seltani! I'll include it, belford. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks. If you need blurb text, let me know.