It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:19 am 

So, one thing I never understood in MOUL was the removal of the journey symbols on the bookshelf tabs. I always thought it added a nice touch as it reminded us of each path. Hand (Prime) Arch (To D'ni) and Shell (Path of the Shell) Well, to make a long story short I decided to have a bit of fun in Photoshop and made this. :)

[Reveal] Spoiler:

If Phil's Relto shelf can still have them, so can we. ;)

~Yeesha~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ty wrote:
So, one thing I never understood in MOUL was the removal of the journey symbols on the bookshelf tabs. I always thought it added a nice touch as it reminded us of each path. Hand (Prime) Arch (To D'ni) and Shell (Path of the Shell) Well, to make a long story short I decided to have a bit of fun in Photoshop and made this. :)

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I think the removal of the symbols is kind of self explanatory in your above image. Some ages aren't connected to any specific journey (Myst/Jalak). And to be techincal the Minkata icon would not be a shell icon either.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:12 pm 

ChloeRhodes wrote:
Ty wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I think the removal of the symbols is kind of self explanatory in your above image. Some ages aren't connected to any specific journey (Myst/Jalak). And to be techincal the Minkata icon would not be a shell icon either.

Well actually, MYST was a POTS age originally. But in MOUL you are correct, it is separate. Same with the Jalak and Minkata. In fact, after I posted this image those errors did cross my mind. Still, I think the journey tabs still could of worked. I think it was not only an aesthetically awesome feature but also another good way to mark the journey's we followed Yeesha on. :)

~Yeesha~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

At this point, the Pods Books could be reduced to a single Book. Hmm, where have I seen that? :wink:

Those two spaces on the left for now are superfluous; though in a few months they might be not enough :D

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ty wrote:
Well actually, MYST was a POTS age originally. But in MOUL you are correct, it is separate. Same with the Jalak and Minkata. In fact, after I posted this image those errors did cross my mind. Still, I think the journey tabs still could of worked. I think it was not only an aesthetically awesome feature but also another good way to mark the journey's we followed Yeesha on. :)

Yeah I had to look back myself to remind myself that Myst was a POTS age offline.

But yeah, the symbols worked for offline because you were, well alone. Online not so much because the symbols of the hands are supposed to represent books you can share (two hands, (Like the share book icon for the Bahro stones, and the old one for linking books) while the single red hand is supposed to represent books that are not meant to be shared, the Cleft, Nexus, technically the city book's icon should be changed.

And again, it only works if the books is a "Journey" age. But if its a normal age than will it not get an icon?

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

korovev wrote:
At this point, the Pods Books could be reduced to a single Book. Hmm, where have I seen that? :wink:

Those two spaces on the left for now are superfluous; though in a few months they might be not enough :D

I like that the pod books have their own linking books. They should lore wise have their own. As for the relto book shelf, I would not count on having it get filled up with ages. Whatever content gets unrollled its unlikely that it will fill up the Relto shelf. At least not in the beginning, who knows what may come at some future date.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:
They should lore wise have their own.

Why? It's clear that they're all the same Age. It'd be like having a separate book for each balcony in Ae'gura!

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Because Linking Books don't have multiple Linking Panel pages...regardless of whether it is the same Age or not, lore wise the areas should have their own Books.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unless in over 9000 years they found a way to fit one or more panels in a single Book.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:09 pm 

The pod age books are separate because it it part of the puzzle to find out that they are actually one age, not four. Having a single book from the start would spoil part of the puzzle, in a similar manner to what I am currently doing. Are spoilers allowed under Creativity?

As for the two empty spaces in the city books section, I always imagined they could've been for Delin and Tsogal. That wouldn't work the way they are currently though, as only one of both ages belongs to your hood. Thus you would only ever have one of the two on your shelf. And they would have to be magically deleted together with your hood book.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

I’d argue that it’s not that much of a spoiler anymore :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

dgelessus wrote:
As for the two empty spaces in the city books section, I always imagined they could've been for Delin and Tsogal. That wouldn't work the way they are currently though, as only one of both ages belongs to your hood. Thus you would only ever have one of the two on your shelf. And they would have to be magically deleted together with your hood book.

Given the way the bookshelf is currently broken up, I'd imagine that the two slots next to the Hood, City, and Nexus book will be for future cavern locations such as a linking book for a new in D'ni, or maybe the city proper etc.

KathAveara wrote:
Why? It's clear that they're all the same Age. It'd be like having a separate book for each balcony in Ae'gura!

As noted by Tweek. Linking books do not have multiple age panels. They only have one. The books in Relto are a byproduct of Yeesha/Bahro magic. Mainly Bahro magic I'd wager. Prior to MOUL all of the "age panel" additions were done by bahro stones. Originally, there was ABM. The book in Teledahn's safe allowed you access to Baron City Office. This was the first you had to D'ni IIRC. Then in ToDni they turned on the additonal bahro stones for the other city links and each stone gave you a new link to add to the city book.

The problem with this is all the stones were turned on to start in MOUL so grabbing any of them would add the city book to your shelf from the start of the game in any of the prime ages. Making it confusing as to why both books and stones could both give you a city book, and a new linking panel. Originally they couldn't, it just got fuzzy later. But stones are supposed to add linking panels and be a result of yeesha/bahro influence. D'ni linking books do not have multiple linking panels.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:
As noted by Tweek. Linking books do not have multiple age panels. They only have one. The books in Relto are a byproduct of Yeesha/Bahro magic. Mainly Bahro magic I'd wager. Prior to MOUL all of the "age panel" additions were done by bahro stones.

I can understand this, but it overlooks that the addition of the book to the relto shelf is, itself, also Yeesha/Bahro magic. Using a book should not normally produce a copy.

It is perfectly OK that there are 4 pedestals in the Museum, each with its own book linking to a different pod. Perfectly canon.

But it does not make so much sense, except for the OOC purpose of making it into a puzzle, for the pods to appear as separate books on the Relto bookshelf. If Yeesha/Bahro magic can make a copy of the book for your bookshelf, it can also consolidate links that you encounter into a single book.

If I were making my own version of Uru, I'd make the Pod bookshelf book into a reward that you get when you've completed the puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Wizard Yeesha was busy when the Pod Ages became available, basically :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

ChloeRhodes wrote:

KathAveara wrote:

As noted by Tweek. Linking books do not have multiple age panels. They only have one. The books in Relto are a byproduct of Yeesha/Bahro magic. Mainly Bahro magic I'd wager.

I'd suggest it is a byproduct of game design not Bahro/Yeesha magic. Multiple pages solves the problem of limited shelf space x lots of places to Link to.

If the Books in Relto stuck with the lore they'd be out of shelf space quickly. You'd need 5+ books just to deal with Baron's Office, Great Zero, various balconies in Ae'gura, and so on.