It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:40 am 
Obduction Backer

I also made this version which includes neighborhood connections.
(Click to embiggen)

You should go through the thread because I've posted a number of pictures.

Anyone guess what it is? :)

Update!
It's a group photo! And you can browse it in more detail here (does not include neighborhood connections):

http://uruweb2011.orangehairedboy.com/

WARNING: This is a content and resource heavy site. If you have a slow internet connection it could take a while to load (it has to download 11MB of data). If your computer isn't fast, it could be almost unusable. If you don't have enough memory, it could crash your browser and/or make your computer really slow. I have a pretty fast 1.5 year old quad-core machine with lots of ram and a great video card and its sluggish for me.

The above warning being said, you should totally at least TRY to browse it! :) Here's a brief description of the graph:

1. Color represents the number of incoming connections a node has (it's a scale of red-yellow-green where the greenest person has lots of people who have added them as a buddy).

2. Size represents centrality. Centrality is a grammatically derived value representing how much that avatar is "is the middle of it all". You can think of the large circles as the "movers and shakers" or perhaps those people that are most likely to know someone you're looking for, etc.

3. Each line is a friendship.

4. Position is mostly meaningless. It's derived automatically by trying to find a way to group people together with other similar people.

5. I don't know how to get rid of the labels, so for now they're listed as "???".

6. If you would like to find yourself, I can make your name show up if you give me your avatar name(s). However, once your name is visible, I won't hide it again. Entirely up to ya'll. If/when I get the first request to go visible I'll make 3 of my avatars visible as well.

7. Given the above, you should be able to find Rand :)

Last edited by OHB on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I don't have time to track down a specific post or event, but I see that Dr. Watson posted about Illusions in the Cavern on Feburary 4, 2011 which opened the door for some gray hat stuff, so I'm guessing it has something to do with a related event that happened for the first time after that? (Apologies for the run-on sentence; in a hurry.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
I don't have time to track down a specific post or event, but I see that Dr. Watson posted about Illusions in the Cavern on Feburary 4, 2011 which opened the door for some gray hat stuff, so I'm guessing it has something to do with a related event that happened for the first time after that? (Apologies for the run-on sentence; in a hurry.)

It's not tied to any specific event...the image is just about that particular day even though that day was probably just another day. Focus on the what not the when.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:17 am 

It looks like a bunch of points connected by curved lines.
No idea what it is or what it represents though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:29 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Perhaps an event distribution pattern, possibly on the database with new node creation trailing off with time. Eh, just a theory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:05 am 
Obduction Backer

I see an angelfish. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:28 am 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
Tai'lahr wrote:

It's not tied to any specific event...the image is just about that particular day even though that day was probably just another day. Focus on the what not the when.

Then why use a day so long ago?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:13 am 
Creative Kingdoms

I found it!

It's a representation of the ninth and highest wave of Bolon Yokte Ku on the Mayan calendar that was activated March 9, 2011 to lead to Unity Consciousness in a new era for all of humankind, according to Carl Johan Calleman.

Boy oh boy that's gotta be it.

<runs off to create The Ninth Wave Hood>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:33 am 
Obduction Backer

Haha. Alright, here's what it is. It's a group photo! I was going through some old MOUL stuff and had the excellent idea to put it to use. The data set I'm using happens to be from March 9th, 2011.

Every single dot in that picture is an avatar. The lines connecting them are friendships. For every avatar you had on your buddies list, there's a line to represent that.

The color is a scale from pink to green. The greener the dot, the more people had that avatar as a buddy.

Avatars with no connections are not shown not is OHBot because he had so many connections it made the whole thing a boring lump.

What's fascinating is how together the vast majority of people were. There were some outlying clumps; I was able to identify some of them as groups that shared a common interest like the messengers or skydivers. But all in all, we were one big extended family.

And, for anyone that's wondering, the Kevin Bacon rule applies for the most part. Just over 6 degrees of separation.

So you see, it really is a group photo!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Oh, that's beautiful, OHB. Absolutely beautiful. Frame worthy - or at least, desktop worthy. Thanks for creating it and sharing it with us. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:37 am 
Obduction Backer

This is absolutely inspiring and just fantastic, OHB ... :P

I myself immediately thought of the recently revealed and mapped 'Laniakea Supercluster' of galaxies, containing our own Milky Way galaxy ... As I thought of it as being all of us in a way, as we're all living within our own universes and are thus the heartbeat of the galaxies ourselves in a broader sense (actually literally, but most of us are not really there yet lol), your depiction and definition in the direction of unity and interconnectedness now come very close to this in a wonderful way as well as JWPlatt's association with the activation of the last wave of the Mayan Calendar ... Wow!!! Very exciting ... :D

When I think/contemplate about it, I'd like to add that you've actually delivered to us another evidence of perpetual patterns, like in microcosm, macrocosm etc. ... awesome ... :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:27 pm 

What determines each avatar's placement in XY space?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cully Barger wrote:
What determines each avatar's placement in XY space?

The layout puts people together who share the same types of relationships. If you were to find yourself on the map, the doors nearest you should be people you know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm looking into making a bigger version but I'm having trouble with it just because it's such a vast amount of data. IF I can figure it out and make a bigger version, how would ya'll feel about having avatar names on it? I don't want to publish it if anyone has any privacy concerns. Another option would be KI numbers. And another option would be KI numbers unless you were on the KI Directory in which case names for those people.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
Haha. Alright, here's what it is. It's a group photo! I was going through some old MOUL stuff and had the excellent idea to put it to use. The data set I'm using happens to be from March 9th, 2011.

Every single dot in that picture is an avatar. The lines connecting them are friendships. For every avatar you had on your buddies list, there's a line to represent that.

The color is a scale from pink to green. The greener the dot, the more people had that avatar as a buddy.

Avatars with no connections are not shown not is OHBot because he had so many connections it made the whole thing a boring lump.

What's fascinating is how together the vast majority of people were. There were some outlying clumps; I was able to identify some of them as groups that shared a common interest like the messengers or skydivers. But all in all, we were one big extended family.

And, for anyone that's wondering, the Kevin Bacon rule applies for the most part. Just over 6 degrees of separation.

So you see, it really is a group photo!

This is incredible and beautiful. I love it! So, JW, it really IS about a new type of unity consciousness being created. ;) Heh, gotta love the meld of humanity and technology.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299