It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:07 pm 

Your all wrong I know exactly what that is :mrgreen:
Its the Rorschach test

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Karkadann wrote:
Its the Rorschach test
Right, and I saw an angelfish, so what does that say about me? :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:20 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

OHB wrote:
... avatar names... privacy concerns... KI numbers... KI Directory... names...

Thoughts?

It sounds like something Zuckerberg would enjoy and therefore a brewing controversy, without consensus, best avoided. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
OHB wrote:
... avatar names... privacy concerns... KI numbers... KI Directory... names...

Thoughts?

It sounds like something Zuckerberg would enjoy and therefore a brewing controversy, without consensus, best avoided. :wink:

Yeah. I'm trying to find some way to present this awesome data without the privacy concerns. It'll be ??? I suppose lol.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:15 pm 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Karkadann wrote:
Its the Rorschach test

I saw a head shrink trying to make money off of a piece of paper he just spilled ink on.
aside from that this one looks like a mousehead

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Karkadann wrote:
Its the Rorschach test
What spontaneously came to me, Tai'lahr, was
'How can an angel see anything other than a reflection of itself' ... 8)

Then I felt to just look, if there wouldn't be a confirmation of that somewhere, and I really found it ... So, please, have a look into this, if you like ... Enjoy, and enjoy yourself ... :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Awww, Janaba. :oops: Thank you for the kind words and your thoughtfulness for tracking down the wonderful link.

OHB wrote:
I'm trying to find some way to present this awesome data without the privacy concerns. It'll be ??? I suppose lol.
Yes, I'm afraid it's a double-edged sword and feelings about it could run the full length of the spectrum. But, maybe if it was just KI numbers, that would make it easy for people to find themselves, but not as easy to see who else was connected to who (they could, but it wouldn't be easy).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

OHB's KI list linking name to KI # makes all the data available to easily reproduce any one thing the graphic omits.

Even if it were opt-in, which the KI list actually is, the missing names or KI#s of those who do not opt-in could be inferred on the social network and completed with some additional work. So the more people who opt-in, the less meaning opt-out actually has. i.e., guilt by association. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
OHB's KI list linking name to KI # makes all the data available to easily reproduce any one thing the graphic omits.

Even if it were opt-in, which the KI list actually is, the missing names or KI#s of those who do not opt-in could be inferred on the social network and completed with some additional work. i.e., guilt by association. ;)

Yeah. Although the list of KI numbers from last itteration are not published right now. So, what I've decided to do is assign everyone a number. There's no correlation between this number and one's KI number so it's completely anonymous. However, IF someone would have to have their avatar name(s) revealed, I can do that. But, I'm still looking into a good way to publish this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

I love the photo and the whole idea of it without knowing who is there. Looking at it, I assume everyone I care about is there and we're all connected. Maybe we're all actually there, maybe not. I don't really need to know because the beauty of it is the art of our connected relationships. As each person (theoretically) moves, the relational lines would move. Is that right? Can you imagine the 3D image of it? A glorious, chaotic mess. Or a song - I expect each dot could be a tone and each relational line could express the harmony... the songs of D'ni.

This really got me thinking. :)

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think tags would be a bit in the way of the picture. To me the dots look better anonymous, they highlight the ensemble nature of the image, and make it less about the particular avatars.

EDIT: I didn’t see ghaelen’s post :)

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alright everyone, try this on for size!

http://uruweb2011.orangehairedboy.com/

WARNING: This is a content and resource heavy site. If you have a slow internet connection it could take a while to load (it has to download 11MB of data). If your computer isn't fast, it could be almost unusable. If you don't have enough memory, it could crash your browser and/or make your computer really slow. I have a pretty fast 1.5 year old quad-core machine with lots of ram and a great video card and its sluggish for me.

The above warning being said, you should totally at least TRY to browse it! :) Here's a brief description of the graph:

1. Color represents the number of incoming connections a node has (it's a scale of red-yellow-green where the greenest person has lots of people who have added them as a buddy).

2. Size represents centrality. Centrality is a grammatically derived value representing how much that avatar is "is the middle of it all". You can think of the large circles as the "movers and shakers" or perhaps those people that are most likely to know someone you're looking for, etc.

3. Each line is a friendship.

4. Position is mostly meaningless. It's derived automatically by trying to find a way to group people together with other similar people.

5. I don't know how to get rid of the labels, so for now they're listed as "???".

6. If you would like to find yourself, I can make your name show up if you give me your avatar name(s). However, once your name is visible, I won't hide it again. Entirely up to ya'll. If/when I get the first request to go visible I'll make 3 of my avatars visible as well.

7. Given the above, you should be able to find Rand :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

My guess is that Rand is number
[Reveal] Spoiler:
716 - because it's the largest, representing the most diverse group of people to buddy him, but it's not the greenest because not that many people have him on their list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
My guess is that Rand is number
[Reveal] Spoiler:
716 - because it's the largest, representing the most diverse group of people to buddy him, but it's not the greenest because not that many people have him on their list.

Nope, but you're on the right track. However, large doesn't mean the most diverse group of people to buddy him...large means central...and in order to be central you have to have incoming AND outgoing connections...and you've got to in turn be connected to the most people which means you need connections with the right people.

Let me ask you this: given that Rand's KI number was publicly available, do you think a few people added him as a buddy, or lots?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
Let me ask you this: given that Rand's KI number was publicly available, do you think a few people added him as a buddy, or lots?
Well, lots, but not everyone. Okay, I think I found it, now.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
842 - because it's the tiniest, greenest dot

I think I found my number, too. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next