It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:07 am 

I've been toying for a little while with the idea of creating an Uru comic in which all or most of the art comes directly from the game. Obviously talk bubbles and things like that would need to be added, but the idea is that the characters and settings of each panel would be adapted from actual in-game screenshots. I even have a story idea that connects to, but doesn't retell, the official Uru storyline. It's a mystery story involving the lives of three explorers and the mysterious disappearance of a fourth.

There are two things preventing me from jumping right in and giving it a shot. First, I would definitely need the help of other players--people who could create custom avatars and pose for various pictures to be used in the comics. And I don't know if there are many people who'd be interested in helping with a project like this.

Secondly, I'm not sure if it's even worth it, for one specific reason: The Uru avatars are not very expressive. The emotes are great, and I think I could even get creative in their use to get body language not originally intended. But the Uru avatar face does not really express emotions--it just sits there frozen. I can still get anger from something like /shakefist or happiness from something like /laugh, but those are kind of the more extreme versions of those emotions. Realistic dialog calls for something a little more subtle than the game can show.

So, I'm coming to you folks for answers to two questions:

1) Are there people who'd be interested in participating in this endeavor? I would only need three or four.

2) How would I get around the facial expression problem? Or, alternatively, does this obstacle just make the whole idea a waste of time?

Tell me what you think. Sorry if this is the wrong subforum for this. I'm not actually presenting anything I've done yet, but since the topic was a creative endeavor, I figured this was the best place for the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, with some good timing you can get great results, e.g. see the Ethan series (direct link). I guess good writing can turn the avatars’ neutral expression in the direction you want, though it might be easier with comedy than with a more serious story.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:41 am 
Obduction Backer

This is absolutely awesome and epic, korovev, and might just be what Carl had in mind or something similar ... Maybe some Ants will jump in to contribute to and support this very ambitious and elaborate project, but maybe others will too ... Ethan's and Silver's story and work might serve as a great example and inspiration ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:59 pm 

Interesting! I didn't know this idea had already been tried, and with so much success. All right, Ethan's stuff convinces me that this is doable. Now the question is whether or not anyone would want to help with it...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:40 am 

For fun, I decided to go ahead and do a rough draft of how the comic would begin. Take a gander and tell me what you folks think--you can't comment on the deviantart page, but you can comment right here in this thread. CLICK the picture below to link there. Keep in mind that each page is a separate image, and you can zoom in by clicking the image again after selecting it.

That's as far as I can go with two accounts and two computers. As I said before, the story idea revolves around the disappearance of one explorer and the lives of three others. The protagonist is unique in that he is the only explorer (in the world of the comic) to discover D'ni completely by accident--he never heard Yeesha's Call or got an invitation from the DRC, so he's not one of the Called, and not even really "supposed" to be here; he's an outsider. The story would rely on a great deal of mystery and suspense, since I enjoy stories of that nature.

The story can only be continued from this point if others are interested in helping.

Let me know what you all think!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:27 am 

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Looks like fun, Carl! (and hey, remember me???)

You can count me in for weekend activities, though not so much for work days/nights. Caveat: now that the cavern tours are done for the season, I'd be willing to give things a go late Tuesday nights... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:44 am 

Did you celshade the graphics a little? They seem to pop just that little bit more - maybe you could shade them even a little bit more? I think it would help it give that cool comic look, and help the graphics from becoming a little too flat. Dynamism visually will go a long way for something like this.

Cool idea, run with it!

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:20 am 

That is just COOL!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

This looks and feels wonderful already, Carl, it feels so alive ... :P

I like the chosen font and I esp. like that the pictures are of a good quality and thus showing the beauty of Uru at the same time no matter how that story might unfold ... I'd say you have what it takes to create sth like this and 'Go for it', Carl, and of course (m)anyone feeling inspired to share their creative ideas and enthusiasm with you ... Maybe this Carl Palmner isn't so very boring like his vague signature after all lol ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:30 pm 

Carl... don't ask if an idea is good or bad, just Do It!

Been a while since I read through Ethan & Silver's adventures.
But as I recall, very entertaining and great fun. We'll have an All Guilds
Meeting February 7th. You could ask for volunteers then, Carl...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:40 pm 

Ok, I might give this a go, then. We'll see--it depends on how time-consuming it ends up being and how interested I stay in it. I'm thinking, from the response here, that there will probably be enough interest to justify it, and to be able to find a few actors

Ainia--can you PM me your KI#? I don't know if you're still on my Buddy List, since the last Vault Wipe.

Narym--Nope, I didn't do any cell-shading at all. I did use Photoshop to touch things up, but not very much. In darker areas like the Descent and the hood, I adjusted brightness and contrast to make it more visible. And I used little Photoshop tricks to make a few little necessary changes--I edited out the protagonist's Relto book in the first few shots (because he hadn't found it yet), I got rid of the identifying markings on Watson's journal (so it could be a Relto book), and I edited out some of the books on the Relto bookshelf, to make the hood book the only abailable one. Cell shading would be fun, but it would take too much time to get it looking right. Photoshop comes with some filters that can be adjusted to give it a cell-shaded look--that part is easy--but it doesn't look very good without some outlines, and those have to basically be done by hand, which takes up too much time. If you know of a better method, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Regarding the story itself, I've gone back and looked at this draft after taking some time away from it, and I think it's a little rushed. The protagonist should probably spend more time exploring and wondering about Relto before jumping right through another book. So if I end up going all-out on this idea, I'll probably expand this first issue a bit.

BTW--did anyone notice that the Relto the character finds already has tons of Page features...but only one Linking Book? This was done on purpose, and there's a reason for it :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 pm 

Carl U Palmner wrote:
BTW--did anyone notice that the Relto the character finds already has tons of Page features...but only one Linking Book? This was done on purpose, and there's a reason for it :)

I did, but I didn't think much about it. The Relto book our adventurer used was obviously not his own, and people who manage to forget their Relto book in the Great Shaft must have done *a lot* of exploring before. How else could you become *that* scatterbrained?

Perhaps Dr. Watson took all of his books and moved to another age. Still doesn't explain why he left the hood book behind.
Maybe it's some kind of DRC policy. "DRC members must leave their neighborhood linking books accessible and unlocked on their Relto at all times." That would explain why Phil left his Kirel book unlocked as well.

(PS: I like the idea and how it's looking so far. Just in case that wasn't already obvious :P)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

I really enjoyed the dummy/demo - more please! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

And the mysterious explorer is... Mishkin!

/thumbsup2

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.