It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 am 

Someone found it after all these years.

Tell everyone.

-Relto

http://redd.it/2rf543

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:40 am 

You cheater edited your post, but not before my RSS reader saved the old version!

Quote:
Someone found it after all these years and they're spilling its secrets for all the internet to see.

Tell everyone.

-Relto

http://redd.it/2rf543
Statistics: Posted by barshki — Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 am

FYI Relto, accounts are shared between the MOULa and Cyan forums ;) No need to use a second third account.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Folks who are interested in the rest of the story so far should check this thread. :D

[[And dgelessus, perhaps our D'ni fellow, Relto, was hoping to be a bit more anonymous here... not that such a ploy would work with true explorers!!]]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:49 am 

Oh, I love these kinds of puzzles!

Interestingly, this username (barshki) apparently has posted twice since joining in 2011, but the other post doesn't appear in a search, either by keyword or by username. It's entirely possible the other post is completely unrelated to anything to do with these latest posts, and the user is just a 'spare' handle Relto had lying around, but I like to pick at loose threads. :D

EDIT: While I think of it, do we know any other forums where this has been posted? We obviously have here, and we have the official Cyan forums. Anywhere else?

And just pondering the story itself - I assume we can take it as read that this person (presumably a D'ni, due to their lack of familiarity with the surface at all) can nonetheless speak English, given the fluent writing and the apparent ease with which he communicates with people on the surface, even though he is apparently pegged as a foreigner. I'm leery of reading too much into it, given the pragmatic reasons one would create a fictional journal in English as opposed to, say, D'ni, but perhaps that narrows down a little the possible circles this person could be connected to.

Also, red leaves. This person attaches red leaves to a sense of 'home'. Any ages we know of characterised by red leaves?

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Narym,

Some interesting questions you pose, there. :)

Regarding the use of English, I would think this points to a connection with Atrus and his family; or perhaps with the Stranger. Relto clearly learned about the surface world from someone who had been there, which also could mean he learned the local surface language from them too. And it would make sense that Relto wouldn't venture to the surface, knowing what he did about it, without being somewhat fluent in the language there. He seems eager to fit in and wouldn't have a hope of doing so if he couldn't communicate with the natives.

Overall, his venture to the surface seems to be deliberately planned; he has a clear goal in mind, to find a nameless person (surface dweller??) who seems to have betrayed him.

The stray comment about being absorbed in his other literature is interesting too. I'm wondering if he'd brought some reference material about the surface and had been studying it during his trek.

And then, since Relto obviously knows about the D'ni Ages, I am wondering if he'd brought any Linking Books with him; and if he hadn't I wonder why not, since it seems such a D'ni habit to do so.

Regarding red leaves, Eder Delin and Tolesa come to mind.

[[ :lol: It's kinda fun to read the reddit comments, with folks struggling to figure out the context; apparently no Myst folks have chimed in there yet ]]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:05 am 
Obduction Backer

Also, it might be worthwhile to watch Relto's Twitter feed. Although he hasn't posted anything there in more than a year, he might start commenting on Adam's translations or something. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:05 pm 

Ainia wrote:
[[ :lol: It's kinda fun to read the reddit comments, with folks struggling to figure out the context; apparently no Myst folks have chimed in there yet ]]

Oops, I posted there, after reading the first three parts, before I read this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:20 pm 

Sorry to pull things away from this forum but I hope you all will share your speculations on the Reddit thread itself. We'll come back here when it's over. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:52 pm 

All the pieces are in place now, go and see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:06 am 

Crossposting from Reddit, because I'm generally not overly inclined to have to read and post on yet more forums, but in this case I'm willing to do a little bit of leg work so others similarly natured don't have to :)

Quote:
So, if we break down the code letters:

* y v1

* k kS

* d Z0

* n U5

* 4 py

* oR w

Alphanumeric, and apparently case sensitive. All first parts are single character and all second parts are two characters, except for Entry 6, where that is the reverse. Entry 6 is also entirely alphabetical. It seems, from other posts on other fora, that it is expected we would need all the bits to begin making sense of the code. In light of that, I wonder whether 6 is a key component.

Other parts that maybe in the hands of better minds might reveal patters:

* All entries except 6 and 2 contain at least one number

* Part 5 is the only part with a number in the first section

* Parts 2, 3 and 4 contain one upper case letter each

* The numbers used are 1, 4 and 5. 1 and 5 can be used to stand for the letters i and s in some online writing (such as 133+speak), while 4 can represent for. This, however, is probably a red herring, as it seems the code was left by the original journalist, in the pre-internet era. Seems more likely this is a more traditional cyper.

* The most recurrent characters are y and k, each appearing twice (k appears twice attached to the same journal entry). Every other character appears only once. This seems like it may be too little information for this to be a substitution cypher, but I'm nowhere near an expert.

* The other potential option is that perhaps the code has something to do with transliterated D'ni. I am not a D'ni linguist, though, so can't be of much help here. It would help explain the need for capitalised letters (indicating stressed/accented D'ni phonetics with Latin characters), but I'm still not sure what to do with the numbers). I'm more inclined, given previous history from Relto, that this puzzle is not reliant on D''ni linguistics, though anything is possible.

EDIT: Actually, ToasterLoading has written: "I've put in two codes myself that point to what I discovered about what happened to him afterwards." I assume the code under discussion is actually these two codes. That means the code is contemporary, presumably, and that we need to think of two separate codes.

Unclear whether chronological order, according to entry #, is relevant.

Also, Vokan, the name of the apparent antagonist, is the D'ni word for 'Birth'. Not clear if relevant to the cypher/puzzle or just colour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Narym, many thanks for your summary. :)

The two end results after decoding the clues are absolutely *awesome*!! Adam, you are my favorite person for all time!! :mrgreen:

[[for anyone watching this thread, Narym's summary has all the necessary data; the trick is figuring out what to do with it! ;)]]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:25 am 

I'm glad my summary helped someone - if not myself! I haven't had a lot of time to look at this, so haven't solved it yet. Is it just a matter of arranging the characters?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Hehe, it was Adam's hint on reddit that got me on the right track... ;)

(and I will add, it is *well* worth the hunt!!)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:07 am 

Doesn't ring any immediate bells - assume either he means the characters don't need to be adjusted in terms of order to solve them (which would presumably require some kind of cypher), or that the characters themselves are fine, and just need to be reordered, or otherwise the hint is in the form of the words of the hint themselves, and there's some sort of key.

I'll came back to it this evening - just thought I'd check in on my work break :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think this is one of those puzzles that you can solve either by being methodical or by suddenly just "seeing" the answer. Surprisingly enough, the latter was how I figured it out; I'm usually the methodical/analytic type of explorer.

Note: The pre-Obduction ARG done by edoublea and greydragon helped me develop the necessary skills to have that "aha" moment. ;-)