It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Larry , those look amazing ! really beautiful !!!

i would like to make some changes though.

KIRK: he has 2 dog symbols. i was thinking, kirk also likes cooking. can you put some cooking related symbol instead of one of the dogs ?
ZESTY: i have 2 cats symbols. since i am an avid reader, can you replace one cat symbol with a symbol of an open book ?

btw, love the central symbol with the swirl and the star but can you turn it to face up rather than down ? the same applies to the inverted triangle. [ please DO keep those shapes, rather that replacing them with golden circles. }

now, about the colours. the colours are perfect for kirk ! he loves them as they are. but, use some lighter shade of purple for the center of the badge in mine. (take Kadish purples as an example).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

ZestyOfXeniphers wrote:
KIRK: he has 2 dog symbols. i was thinking, kirk also likes cooking. can you put some cooking related symbol instead of one of the dogs ?

Done. Let me know if this is too cartoony.

Quote:
ZESTY: i have 2 cats symbols. since i am an avid reader, can you replace one cat symbol with a symbol of an open book ?

How about a silhouette of a woman reading?

Quote:
btw, love the central symbol with the swirl and the star but can you turn it to face up rather than down ? the same applies to the inverted triangle. [ please DO keep those shapes, rather that replacing them with golden circles. }

No can do. Inverting it gets the star lost in the ocean ring even if I flip it horizontally as well.

The triangles are set to contain the shapes inside them, which are in turn set with their bases toward the center of the monogram. Then they are placed in a form of order, increasing from 3 to 6 sides. Kirk's rotation begins at the top and goes clockwise, yours begins at the bottom and goes counterclockwise. In other words, there is method to the madness. I was making them more or less mirror each other to further differentiate.

Quote:
now, about the colours. the colours are perfect for kirk ! he loves them as they are. but, use some lighter shade of purple for the center of the badge in mine. (take Kadish purples as an example).

There's a problem with lighter purples. Most of them cause the gold of the symbols to wash out against them when placed as a background. A strong or dark purple is needed to make them pop. I tried several, and this was just about the lightest I could use that still let the symbols be seen clearly.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

ok kirks monogram looks fine.
i would like orchid purle in the middle please, this one is too strong for my taste.
also, i don't like the reading woman. if possible, just put an open book.
you can put my triangle on the top so it doesn't face down.
finally, we are not happy with that central triangle and star facing down. i love the symbol but it simply looks like the energy is going downwards. don't like that :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

I had to put dropped shadows under the symbols or they wouldn't be visible against that background color. They are still difficult to see.

Got a book in the pentagonal box, but it's not easy to find one that looks good when all surface detail is taken away by the gold metallic overlay. Everything has to look good as a silhouette to serve the purpose.

It took a great deal of finagling to put that star in the upper half of the image. I also had to invert the ocean ring, and then arrange things just so. Not something I'd want to go through again, I assure you. -_-;

Anyway, to get the proper contrast, it's best to use a dark color that is complimentary to both gold and purple.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:50 am 

Nice, I like losing the wings all together. Is it possible to give some burnt orange color back somewhere?

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:28 am 
Obduction Backer

angelmyst wrote:
Nice, I like losing the wings all together. Is it possible to give some burnt orange color back somewhere?

I used orange for the background of the symbol containers. I'll see about changing the color value. As for the containers, I have to use a round one for the mountain; it's the shape of that graphic. But I can use different shapes for some of the others if you like. I'm also planning to make them a little smaller.

By the way, the surface texture for the whole monogram is rippling water. That's another, more subtle reference to the swimming angle.

...Okay, alterations made. Here we go.

Oh dear. It just occurred to me that if I treat the surface of the design as a body of water, the ring of kids are floating in it. But the graphic doesn't have a way to specify if it's face up or face down. ^_^;

And if I'm worrying about that, I probably need more sleep. Or alcohol. One of those two.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:08 am 
Obduction Backer

thumbs up for the central swirl and the star facing up ! great job ! consider Kirk's monogram done !!!

let's see what can we do with mine ...

i would like the cat in the triangle to face left (as it is on the red one) and could that book be a bit more defined, too look more like a book ?

now, i don't like red, any kind of red. red is simply not my colour.

is it possible to use :
1. R: 134 - G: 73 - B 194 with Hue: 180, Sat: 120 and Lum: 126 ?
or
2. R: 152 - G: 71 - B 197 with Hue: 186, Sat: 125 and Lum: 126 ?
(personally i prefer the 2nd colour)

they are both darker then your 1st picture, which btw looks a bit pinkish to me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

ZestyOfXeniphers wrote:
i would like the cat in the triangle to face left (as it is on the red one) and could that book be a bit more defined, too look more like a book ?

Easy enough with the cat. I mentioned earlier that any graphic I choose will only work as a silhouette, so no, I can't make that particular book any more detailed. I'd have to find another graphic, and that was one selected after pawing over hundreds of them. There are very few available that a) scale down to 60 or 70 pixels well, and b) look good as a silhouette.

Quote:
is it possible to use :
1. R: 134 - G: 73 - B 194 with Hue: 180, Sat: 120 and Lum: 126 ?

Converted to that color. In the future, I need the hexadecimal code rather than the hue, saturation, and luminosity. My software input uses RGB when modifying the metallic overlay, and hex for base colors.

Quote:
or
2. R: 152 - G: 71 - B 197 with Hue: 186, Sat: 125 and Lum: 126 ?

they are both darker then your 1st picture, which btw looks a bit pinkish to me. :) (personally i prefer the 2nd colour)

That color won't do at all. The gold washes out against it. I'll remind you again: the colors have to be either vibrant or dark for the gold to pop. Weak or light colors just won't work. There has to be a high contrast.

Look up to the previous post for the example of your first color.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

ok, waiting to see how it will look like with the 1st colour.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

At the end of the post, I mentioned that you just need to scroll up the page. When I upload a picture, I use the same name and it overwrites the previous version. If you don't see the color change, just refresh the page.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:38 pm 

Okay..I like the colors....can we change one of the water symbols to a linking book, and the kids....I have a wacky idea...
my four kids have been on URU, their names are
JuneMyst
MrsPope
CanadianGirl
NateDS
Is it possible to replace the kids with D'ni versions of the four names of my kids, to make it more personal?

KI #03313934

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

oh ok, i am multitasking all the time. no time to read every word :oops:
it looks perfect to me now. if you are willing to search for more defined book symbol that would be great, i sent you some on FB.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

angelmyst wrote:
Okay..I like the colors....can we change one of the water symbols to a linking book, and the kids....I have a wacky idea...
my four kids have been on URU, their names are
JuneMyst
MrsPope
CanadianGirl
NateDS
Is it possible to replace the kids with D'ni versions of the four names of my kids, to make it more personal?

Repeating rings of their names in D'ni? Can do. Linking book is easy; there are at least two versions to choose from in the dnidings font. Now you're in the proper spirit for this! ^_^

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

larry, you can also use a linking book symbol for my monogram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's a version of Zesty's monogram using a linking book.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next