It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Moving right along; here's a look at a honey toned marble. It's a subtle color, so it's not actually easy to see that it's stone.

Keeping the icons inside hexagons, I've separated them and put some rings in. Didn't like the oak leaves, so took them out entirely.

Probably need to change the color of the hexagons. They make the whole look too monotone.

Edit: Dumped the stone color and went with a harvest gold to honey fade. Sheesh. Now it looks like a wheel of cheese.

If you ever go into the Chedder making business, I've got your packaging all set, it seems.

Moving on....

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

I didn't know what you meant when you talked of cheese, Larry, because I hadn't seen the latest version :lol: It reminds me of a big Dutch cheese, and I spent some time working in the Netherlands so it's not inappropriate!

Might we try to use a honeycomb texture instead of the cheese?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Tried two honeycomb textures, but couldn't get them too look right. The first one looked like a vanilla wafer cookie to me. Went back to marble, this time a brown. May not seem like it, but the colors are all still based around honey tones. Except the containers for the symbols; those are metallic versions of a bright yellow, because of the bees.

Seems like the rest of the layout is starting to take shape. I experiment, but yet again the tried and true shapes and shadows seem to be winning out. Still much to be done.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

Last edited by larryf58 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:03 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:45 am 
Obduction Backer

we're getting there, Larry! I think the brown marble is a winner. Sticking to honey tones brings it all together really well. And there's now lots of shiny! Thank you!

I'm not sure about the bees flying upside down, though - they're doing aerial acrobatics! I think it'd look better to have them all at the orientation of the 11 o'clock bee - hoping that rotating them is a simple operation.

And might a white camellia rather than a pink one harmonise better with these colours?

Thank you SO much for all your design work!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Acorn1 wrote:
we're getting there, Larry! I think the brown marble is a winner. Sticking to honey tones brings it all together really well. And there's now lots of shiny! Thank you!

Colors need to be adjusted to blend better, but the idea is there.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the bees flying upside down, though - they're doing aerial acrobatics! I think it'd look better to have them all at the orientation of the 11 o'clock bee - hoping that rotating them is a simple operation.

You're thinking of the design as it is seen on your computer screen. I'm using Yeesha's monogram as the source example, since that's the only monogram with a rosette around it in the game. Her monogram is radial; all of the elements are aligned outwards from the center circle.

In other words, imagine that the design is the floor of a circular room, and you are standing in the center. As you turn in place, everything you look at should seem to face you. An adjustment I need to make is to arrange the containers so that they all have a base facing the center.

Also, there's symbolism in the way I have the bees arranged now. If the acorn can be said to represent you, it describes what they do. They are flying to a flower to collect nectar for honey, and bringing it back to you.

Quote:
And might a white camellia rather than a pink one harmonise better with these colours?

Thank you SO much for all your design work!

I need to find better images for the acorn and the flower anyway. Those two are too much like photographs instead of drawings, even though they are not.

I also need to tone down the background of the containers; that metallic color stands out too much against the colors of the rosette.

I repeat: Still much to be done. :)

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

And here we have the adjustments I talked about. The metal is now using the same honey color as its base that the rest of the rosette does, and I've evened out the colors of the monogram background and rosette. The darker color in the fade was sampled from the marble ring, so that's also helping to tie the colors together better.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I like this version very much - except for the acorn; it's hardly noticeable. I prefer the previous colorful acorn and think it would provide the best balance for the flower. Otherwise, the background, the coloring, the bees all look great.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Changed the coloration of the acorn.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like it too! The white camellia works much better than the pink, and the colours all tone in nicely. I don't mind the colours of this acorn (I may have missed the one Tai' objected to) but I'd prefer it to be pointing directly upwards rather than to one side.

And can the outer rim of decoration also fit the symbols better, so the pieces are aligned North/south, and symmetrical?

I had understood that the bees should be read as flying round in the circle, Larry, so I got what you had done. It's just that when you look at it head-on, as we'll normally be doing, some of the bees look peculiar because of their orientation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Done with those adjustments. Got company now, so I'll check back for comments later today.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

looks good to me, Larry, thank you, but I'm happy to have anyone else's thoughts!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Very nicely done, Larry! I think it's fitting for Acorn. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just wanted to say the same, Tai'lahr, it fits so well for Acorn, wonderful job, Larry ... :P

I like the bees very much, in a way they feel like smiling, and I like the acorn and the beautiful camellia and the decorative plants, the shiny elements mixed in and just everything ... The whole monogram looks and feels very peaceful, but still has style and elegance ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

well, now we have Tai'lahr and janaba's seals of approval, I think we're done! :mrgreen:

Thank you SO much, Larry :D And thank you too, to all who have given their input to this design!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next