It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:11 pm 

Hello everyone

Long time Mudpie/Uru/Myst Online fan here. Recently I've taken up programming, with a long-term goal of working in the game industry.

I noticed that some fans seem to be restoring abandoned Cyan ages, like Rebek and Kahlo. Haven't heard any news in the last couple years, though. So I thought I'd offer to lend a hand in the programming department, see if I we can get anything out there in time for Uru's 20th anniversary... lol

I seem to recall that Plasma is mostly Python, which I admit is a language I haven't studied yet. I'm willing to learn though, and having an actual game engine to make sense of would surely beat any class.

Things seem to be slow at the moment, so I have a feeling that any help, however small, could be used. Is there anyone still fighting this battle? You can give me a problem to crack, and I'll do my best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:14 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Well, Plasma is actually mostly C++, but the "wiring" that makes ages "work" is mainly done in Python - in essence, the Python scripts what the C++ bits in the client should do.

Activity in that group (it's probably better to think of it as a loose consortium of individuals or pairs each working on their own projects) does seem to have tailed off, but that's the way real life bites even the best intentioned. I think Tweek is still doing things though.

I guess the first step would be to get in touch with Tor'i to request being added to the FCAL so you can get access to the assets, but then you'd need to find someone in the group who'll take on an "apprentice" ;) But I expect the problem might be that if the folks doing these things don't have the time to work on the tasks themselves then they won't have the time to mentor someone else either :?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah I'm not sure who is really around. I know Chloe has been doing some stuff, Whil and Kate aren't involved anymore really (although Whil did pop up again recently so who knows there).

Intangibles is part of a long list of Age projects I've been working on I tend to cycle through projects to stop myself getting burned out on one project.

I do post updates on my Age building stuff here - https://www.facebook.com/agesoftweek/

At the moment I'm working on a new D'ni neighbourhood but I've been working on Rebek as well.

I'd definitely like to see some fresh blood in the group as it were, but as mac said it's probably not likely people will have time to mentor you as well. I'd suggest getting more involved with the GoW (hop into their IRC channel) and dive into building some stuff yourself and take it from there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:19 am 
Creative Kingdoms

JP, when you get your FCAL, we can invite you into the Intangibles group Discord server, which has been rather lonely of late. If anyone is around, maybe they'd take a minute to answer a question.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:48 am 

>>JP<<, you might want to contact Chloe (aka GPNMilano) about this. She was the one handling Intangible recruitment at some point.
About the FCAL... This will probably take a while, because Cyan is busy and don't always answer to mails. If you want to make sure they don't forget about your appliance, you might have to bother them with an email every once in a while to make sure they don't forget about it.
Seems the Intangibles still need someone to code the Fan-Ages Nexus, if you're up to it. (it seems this has been the situation for a couple of years now...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:09 pm 

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies!

Mac_Fife wrote:
Well, Plasma is actually mostly C++, but the "wiring" that makes ages "work" is mainly done in Python - in essence, the Python scripts what the C++ bits in the client should do.

Yeah, I want to do Age scripting, not actual engine development, should've cleared that up. Just as a curiosity though, do we currently have the means (if not the time and skills) to actually implement new functionality within the game? It seems to me that nearly every age in Cyan's list would require some age-specific custom code (the ambition of Uru Live is disproportionate even today... I've grown convinced that there is no way they could've pulled it off, definitely not in 2004)

Well, I'll get started on the FCAL bureaucracy then. I have just re-installed Complete Chronicles after maybe a decade (!), will start to snoop around the files to get a feeling for how everything is supposed to work. At some point I intend to start writing over at GoW, but I always procrastinate when I need to create yet another account/password... :lol:

I could take a shot at this Nexus project, but I guess it would require some knowledge of Uru's network code, no? That seems the most challenging part to me at this moment

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:44 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Sirius wrote:
>>JP<<, you might want to contact Chloe (aka GPNMilano) about this. She was the one handling Intangible recruitment at some point.

There is no fan who "handles" any specific admittance or recruitment role. No permission, vote, or agreement from the group is needed. Everyone has equal access via Cyan, though Cyan does enjoy having some level of endorsement from the community. Get the FCAL from Cyan and that's it. But I'm sure that anyone so far in the Intangibles group who is still around will very much welcome the addition, and maybe feel just a little more inspired knowing there's someone else to help. Just expect that you'll need to be self-motivated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

What JWPlatt said above. Aside from established rules for respecting Cyan's IP, there really is no structured formal approach to writing or coding for agebuilding.

Depending on what you want to tackle, there are lots of resources at OpenURU.org, guildofwriters.org and writers-guild.org. The very loose community of volunteer Agebuilders, more than anything else right now, definitely needs *skilled*, motivated coders who understand the Plasma engine and database interfacing (I/O with "the vault").

For FCAL access, contact Tor'i at Cyan. She's the one who has handled this in the past.

Appreciate your volunteering! Please let us know how we can help you progress! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:57 am 

>>JP<< wrote:
I could take a shot at this Nexus project, but I guess it would require some knowledge of Uru's network code, no? That seems the most challenging part to me at this moment

There are at least 2 or 3 fan Nexus/library type ages in the works that seemed to be put on the back burner due to the complexities in the coding and time restraints. If we could just get past that first step, the completion a fan age Nexus/library, complete whats needed by Cyan to host it here on Mystonline it just might open the door to more fan ages and new content, assuming that's what everyone is waiting for

E=mc2
Energy = Milk Coffee 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:44 pm 

OK, quick status report. I'll be posting this at GoW too, but figured I might update this thread for anyone interested

I've been exploring "vanilla" MOUL for the past few days, trying to remember everything (it's been many years since I actually played the game for the last time), while also working on the acquisition of the modding tools.

I don't know what is this forum's stance on mentioning stuff like Drizzle nowadays, so I'll keep it brief. I managed to install 3ds max 8 and the Plasma plugin. I don't actually intend to use it to model anything, that is beyond my capacities, but I wanted to try and load up the Uru ages to see how everything was built and wired. Still trying to figure out how it can be done, though

I also tried to compile the OpenUru client, but ended up going with the H'uru fork because of the need for some legacy stuff in the OU guide I was following. I'm still a bit confused about what I should do with it, though. Do I need to set up my own test shard? I tried firing up the Destiny shard, the splash screen appeared but then the client crashed

Last edited by >>JP<< on Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:33 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

You don't necessarily need your own test shard, but the client you use needs to have the correct keys for the target shard. I may be mis-remembering, but I think the H'Uru client has a mechanism for setting/switching keys at run-time via an ini file or equivalent, so they don't need to be "baked in" at build time.

It's probably also prudent to check with the shard owner that they're happy with you testing a client on their shard - it's possible that a misbehaving client could affect other players or upset the vault.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.