It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The Great Hall ---
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:05 pm 

As I linked in I found myself standing at one end of a Great Hall, and even though my eyesight is still quite good I could not see the other end which lay in darkness accept for a few scattered firebrands that lit up that darkness.

As I gawked at the sight and my eyes adjusted to the light I saw a circular set of staves scattered in a distinct pattern round the large chamber, and each had a lamp attached and a specific set of heraldic or iconic flags hanging down from it in what I took to be some form of runic like alphabet. It was not in D'ni script of which I am familiar, even if I'm nothting more than a mere amateur in the linguistc use of the language. No it was of a uniquness all to itself, and I had no idea of its origins, nor of those who used the language.

At the center of this great room was a singular round table, and in my mind I imagined King Authur and his knights dashing in from some famed battle, but this was no ancient England, and the members of this society were definitly not romantic knights out of some paperback romance novel.

What I did see brought my belly into play. The table was filled with a fabulous assortement of delicacies: light meats, fish, and a medley of exotic bird dishes with small feathers and large rising round the rims offering a palatable feast for the eyes. The aromas that filled this cavern hall were beyond description: feint vanilla and cloves, lambkin, eucalyptus and hibiscus, and smells of herbs and spices I'd never know the names of drifted in the haze around me.

There were steaming crockeries of broth, mutton, porridge, and other types of things that if I could have named them I'd of been totally wrong, for this was no ordinary fair for a human tribe, no this was a feast for a celebration of some kind of being far beyond our own menial extravagances. Baskets of fresh bread, brown, rye, dark and light rolls, and every type of fruit imaginalble stacked in tall crystal bowls, or silver and gold trays lined the tables in differing patterns of stark contrast.

At the center of it all was a sphere that rose above the table rotating dripping sparks downward into a cobalt blue basin, which lapped the wondrous lake of light in eddies over the rim into the surrounding streams that meandered mazelike round the table. It was as if this display of light and art held the key to some miracle of knowledge and wisdom that only those who knew the legends of this great people might begin to understand. The light floating in the small strreams finally found their end within a series of smaller spheres that were placed before each and every place setting as if to say: "Take up and drink the light of plenty, for this is your wisdom, your knowledge. Take and delight in the power of your own Light."

It was at that moment, as my mind awakened from the empowerment of this wondrous exhibition in culinary exuberance that the Great Hall lit up.....

--- more to come ---

Last edited by earthwizard on Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:28 pm 

sounds to me like the bahro are in need of your help, but what about Zedd, ya mentioned he seemed to be one with the bahro, maybe the bahro are using him to help them, or maybe the d'ni that were leading the bahro off have Zedd too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:04 pm 

... the light was so blinding that I had to cover me eyes for a few seconds. As me eyes adjusted to the brightness I could hear voices all around me chittering and lady part with small insect like clacks and clicks, and as I uncovered my eyes I saw several hundred creatures of varying size and mien before me.

Their eyes had a distinctive cobalt blue radiance, and their skins were of varying hues that seemed to shift from deep purple to a light lavender depending on the size and station of the creature. Each of the attendees were cloaked in differning colors of cloth and had specializes accoutrements hanging from neck and shoulder, or belt and chest, and each of the groups were aligne around the stave markers I'd seen earlier.

They were looking at me as if they were awaiting some word, some request or statement from me that would clarify my presence or give answer to my need. It was as if they were all in suspended animation, awaiting someone to lift a hand, crack a smile, or generally break the spell that hung over the Great Hall. But before I could move or say a word, a voice, feminine, and full of warmth and compassion drifted over the hollow silence of this cavern, saying, "Aaronius, help our guest to the table. Please everyone take your seats. Let us welcome our guest to the realm of the Least."

I felt a hand firmly but gently grab my elbow, and I jumped like a frog on the skitters, but the hand held me firmly, and I calmed down and turned round to see who had me caught in their iron grasp. I had to blink twice. Sure enough it was my buddy Zedd. He was smiling ear to ear, and put his finger up to his mouth in a gesture of silence, as if to say, "don't ask me anything now, all will be revealed in due time".

--------- more to come -------

Last edited by earthwizard on Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:20 pm 
Seems like the Least do themselves, or their guests at any rate, pretty well...:)

Post subject: Our hostess...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:22 pm 

As the bahro, for so I took them, sat among their conclaves I was able to see a woman and a swarthy looking man at the far center of the round table, laughing and joking among themselves and the others in the immediate vicinity of their company.

Zedd led me round, stopping here and there to chat with now one, then another of what looked to be guardians (for they held great massive weapons in their hands, which I thought odd for I thought these were a peaceful species). I wanted to ask Zedd about this but knew by long aquaintance with his inner thought processes that it was best I did not. So I went along willingly as he made his rounds around the table which tended in a circumventing fashion to be plotting a course toward the great Lady and her apparent Prince.

I was suprised at Zedd's complete transformation from cautious, humble mannered illuminist of the magical arts into this affable and self-assured giant of a man who knew how to speak the dialects of this species with such utter effortlessness. And by a carefule study of their faces and reactions to his statements it was apparent that they knew him well, and that many of them were friends, or -- at least, aquaintances with a long history together.

I'd always know Zedd to dissappear from time to time. And never asked him much about his adventures or vanishings unless he was willing to open up and discuss it on his own, so I was not surprised by his knowledge and learning of this old socieity of the Bahro. Some of his trips off into the wilds must've been trips off into the lands of the Least.

At last we drew close to the main area where the woman and her swarthy companion were sitting, and I could see above her a floating bahroglyph of the Mourning Eye motif, which I knew from the rich linguistic lore signified both the physical and metaphisycal aspects of the bahro history of enslavement under the D'ni.

I knew it stood for the physical sight of the bahro as they watched the D'ni both openly and hidden, and also the moral sight that made them aware of the injustices to all ahrotahn peoples under the enslavement of the D'ni. The great eye was open and openly weeping tears in an endless flow of mourning over the sadness and injustice; yet, it was also staring out unflinchingly as an act of both resistance and remembrance that such injustice will one day be judged, and those who enslaved the ahrotahn will pay the price for their arrogance and pride.

The other symbol I saw was the Spiral Cross, and hung above the swarthy man whose smile was both full of warmth and icicles: eyes of such empowerment and gleaming full of cautious candour; yet also full of a depth that spoke of long years of enslavement at the hands of the D'ni, and a hard won wisdom of what true justice entailed.

As I watched the symbol moving in its holoimage, I was reminded of the journey I'd once resovled to take at the instigation and call of Yeesha. I was reminded of the many ages and the secret cave at the end of each journey, and of the message from Yeesaha about the hopes and dreams of both destruction and restoration. Of the hope at the end of the tunnel of darkness that would lead to a final promotion of the Least as the rightful owners of the cavern world of D'ni. For what has been taken will be returned.

At that very moment the gracious Lady and gentleman stood and beconed us to join them....

---- more to come ---

Post subject: Yeesha's Tale ----
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:50 am 

Zedd embraced the young woman, who I now recognized as Yeesha, delicately and with a light kiss on the cheek, then clasped the man's forearm in a manly grasp and braced his shoulder, saying, "Long have we waited for this moment, Teacher."

The man smiled, saying, "All things have their time, my friend."

Yeesha, looked at us both waving her hands for us to be seated, saying, "Be seated my friends and feast, for we have many things to relate to you before you continue your journey."

I looked to Zedd, and he waved me to an empty chair by Yeesha, while he sat on the other side with the man he called the Teacher. I'd heard rumors of another "Teacher" in Yeesha's past, but knew that things had not faired so kindly for him. So I wondered at the significance of the title and how Zedd had known this man whose lavender-grey eyes and mask like gaze held such depth of knowledge and wisdom.

As we sat down, Yeesha raised her hands, and the Great Hall went quiet, while all before us the giant Sphere of Light turned brighter then changed hue cycling through all the colors of the rainbow, pouring out its mystic river of light into the endless lake of fire below it.

Suddenly the sphere began to spin faster and faster releasing jets of liquid fire that floated and hovered over the Great Hall like lazers dancing on an endless stream of darkness. Within the sphere a shape was moving, a small thread that at first jutted up like a small root reaching for the sun. Then it broke free and shot upward from the base of the sphere growing and sprouting leaves of light. It was the perfect image of the Great Tree of Light and as it reached the pinnacle of the tallest spire in the cavern it froze and began glowing with silver radiance. Its roots enfolding the edges of the darkenss in golden light as the silver leaves danced above.

A great murmur gathered in the hall as the tree began sprouting golden fruit out of its silver branches, and if that were not enough it suddenly began releasing the fruit to fall first here then everywhere into the hands of the unsuspecting guests. I looked up and a golden bough of light fell right into my palm, and as I looked upon this wonder the apple like fruit suddenly broke in two releasing a white dove that flew above me. And not only I but the whole hall witnessed this magnificent display, and doves were winging their way round and round and upward in a dance of spirals toward the sliver of light that seemed to hint at an open passage high above the Great Hall.

We all watched till the last dove suddenly made one last swoop downward circling and circling round and round the hall until it slowly gathered great speed and shot toward the high spire where the silver threads of the tree vanished upward into the light. Then it was gone, and with it the Great Tree fell among us in a shower of sparks....

---- more to come ----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:03 am 

not to interrupt the story but :D :D :D
can't wait for more

Post subject: Quite alright...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:37 am 

Tiana wrote:
not to interrupt the story but :D :D :D
can't wait for more

8) quite alright... I can't wait to see what happens next either! But the veil of words is coming down now... better get to it while the Muse is on me... :)

earthwiz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:01 am 

A great roar arose in the hall like the metallic clicks of some ancient engine coming to life. The bahro nearest each stave and banner were tipping great golden horns into the air, and blowing with such furious enthrallment that the upper ceiling of the Great Hall seemed to shake as little rocks and dust particles came gingerly down. Other memebers of this tribal party began circling the ovoid table, clanging on cymbal like instruments, while others played on small lute like wooden flutes. It was a site to behold.

As I turned back Yeesha, who was grinning from ear to ear, was saying, "Now the least are free. Now the least shall be whole. Now the least shall restore that which was lost, regain that which was taken, and restore that which was broken... and, we, growers of the seed, shall know the peace of the Great Tree as the Harvest of Years fulfills itself."

I nodded at this.... What else could I do? I'd heard the tales, but this wasn't one I relished happening; for, who knew just what she meant with her zealous outbursts. A part of me wanted to get up and run, and keep on running till I either found a way out or died trying; yet, another part was curious, wondering just what it was all about. So I stayed seated, smiling like I knew just what she was talking about.

After a few minutes of celebration she again rose up and gently prodded everyone to sit and enjoy the feast.

So, like the rest, I decided to just enjoy the moment, let my old bones settle into this feast and let my flesh get what it needed for the coming storm....

--- more to come ----

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:13 am 

Well I was sittin' back picking a little bone out of me left tooth, filled to me chin like a plum chicken who'd just laid the golden egg, satisfied beyond comfort when Yeesha rose up again, grabbed her goblet of wine and made a toast to the crowd.

"Ah... my friends, once again we gather in the Great Hall of Time, laughing and joking, singing and dancing amid the Festival of Lights. It seems like only yesterday when our lives were so much different.

"Long ago my journey began in Tomahna where my beloved father, Atrus, and my mother, Catherine, raised me on the edge of the desert: their little "desert bird" they called me.

"It was here that I learned from the wild things: the birds of the sky, the wolves of the mountains, the snakes of crevesses, of the great eagle and the owl, of their freedom, and also of the worlds within worlds of our ancient Art, much as my father and mother did before me...

"It was here that I learned of the others, of the ancients, the ameridian peoples of earth, traded with them, and learned from them other ways than I was taught by my parents, which have helped me along the path of my journey.

"It was my parents who first taught me the Great Art, but it was from my travels among the older tribes of this ancient planet that I learned another wisdom; and with the knowledge I gained from my parents, and the gift of wisdom of the people of old earth I perfected my knowledge of the Art.

"I traveled to Ages of D'ni, saw the wonders of my ancestors, and of their dark ways, too. It was in my travels that I came to know of the history of the Bahro and of their enslavement at the hands of my ancestors.

"On the Great Wheel of Time I traveled to many places, saw the atrocities for myself... then I wished only to escape, to find another way, another path, a journey that would restore the Least to their rightful place in the order of things... I perfected my craft, created new Ages, experimented in ways my ancestors never dreamed possible...

"Then I came to Ae'gura, and here I met the 'Teacher', my friend and lover...

Tears came to her eyes, little droplets formed on the lips and trundled down her tattoed cheeks. She stopped for a moment to look around at her companion, who gently rubbed the tears from her eyes and kissed each one with a deft touch of lightness that showed both respect and honor to this Woman of Power. Then she smiled again and contined to speak....

"It was from the 'Teacher' I first learned of the Great Journey, of the Path of the Shell. We've all walked it, journeyed and learned from the truths that it holds for all who will follow its course.

"But I learned from the living things, learned how small seeds grow into giant trees, how stars measure our lives in patterns of love and desire, how the earth interacts with the mysteries of the heavens. But this was not the way of the 'Teacher'.

"His was a harsh way, a secretive path of learning and darker mysteries of old Art. And, yes, he taught me many things, but there came a time when his ways seemed to lead toward death rather than life and we fought and battled each other in mind, heart, and spirit, and in the end we learned from each other to temper our learning with the wisdom of the Bahro's history and experience.

"I gave my knowledge to the 'Teacher', and he to me, and combined we created Ages that the old ones, the D'ni would have thought impossible or a sacrilege. I brought my friend's Books alive with living things, growing things, empowering them with a life of their own. He with the technical mastery of his Art and knowledge of the book making, ink, and the dark history of the D'ni guided me and tempered my flames until the tension between gave birth to a New Art....

"We came to know of you and your kind, freed you from the serfdom of these ancient people, helped you once again plant the Great Tree, the seed and egg of Life, and D'ni was reborn. Your world was given a second chance, a new life..."

"Then the Dark One came among us, the 'Destroyer', he who will remain the 'Unnamed One' for all time...

Her face changed, was full of fury and anger, her eyes blazed like torches in the night, and her words came more fluently and full of force...

"Bitterness and the curse of all that was at the heart of the old D'ni arose among us once again, a man whose heart was stone defeated me in the midst of my triumph and I was cowered before his mastery of the Art...

"But my friend, my companion for all those years of learning, my 'Teacher' came to my rescue, protected me from the blasts of fury unleashed by this beast of the dark path. He died protecting and defending me against the evil...

"My heart lost hope with the death of my friend at the hands of this dark one.... I wandered alone in the midst of my own fears until I found a way...

"I remembered my father, Atrus, and my swee mother, Catherine, the love of my brother Achenor who gave his life for me....

"I remembered the words of power I'd learned from my friend, my 'Teacher', the skills he'd taught me, and of the wisdom of the old ones of the desert....

"I came out of my fear a new woman, emerged from the cocoon of my self-doubt and self-pity, and confronted this beast, this 'Destroyer'. We battled on the edge of the great Abyss, where he summoned his demons to kill me, but I would not be defeated and I strove on with a new sense of mastery and empowerment and defeated this creature of the dark path once and for all and imprisoned him in a device of his own making.

"The Abyss is locked away in the silence of this hall, and only I have the key to unleash the 'Destroyer'....

"With your help we replanted the garderns, helped the Great Tree to sprout and grow....

"For you see my friends, the tree is not made of wood and sap, but of the freedom of the Least as they journey along the path of the Great Wheel of Time....

Yeesha stopped, raised her goblet, as did we all, and then she bowed her head slightly and said, "Take, drink, this is the blood of our souls, our ancstors, who for so long lived in the darkness of slavery, let us remember them always that we have all shed blood to restore that which was taken...."

Then she sipped, as did we all.

--- more to come ---

"

Last edited by earthwizard on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:39 pm 
Still reading, still enjoying...

Post subject: After the show...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:03 am 

Well, as usual I had more thoughts than inititative, and let the moment of action slip right through me fingers. By the time I'd sobered up enough and quit telling jokes to amuse the cavilier bahros to the right of me I'd missed my opportunity to talk with Yeesha. For as I'd just finished telling GoJi, the bahro, a tale I felt a tap on me shoulder and looked up to see the smiling face of me old friend Zedd.

"Come on, buddy, time to shake and bake, we're going on a journey."

Of course there I was all bleery eyed and tanked on all the good wine that'd passed my way in those red flagons the bahro hung around their wide shoulders. So I was ready for anything, or at least I thought I was.

"But where are me hosts, I'd like to say goodnight to Yeesha and that young fellah. What did you call him? The 'Teacher'?"

Zedd laughed, saying, "Heck, Wiz, they've been gone for almost of an hour. Yeesha didn't want to interrupt your storytelling, so she and Teacher just silently wandered off to their inner chambers. She did leave this for ya..."

He handed me a small package, and continued, "But she wanted you to wait till we're on our way before you open it up."

Hmm... a gift, perhaps. I turned it this way and that way, but knew it wasn't going to tell me a thing, so opened me knapsack and popped in in to the lower corner figuring I'd take a peep sometime later that night.

Oh, boy, here it was, me and my big mouth had gotten me lost in the zone again, and had missed me opportunity to talk to this woman I'd only dreamed about for several years. A woman who I'd only thought about from my reading and historical studies of the D'ni. I'd of never thought in an thousand years I'd have the chance to meet her, much less sit next to her and gaze on her beauty. And I'd missed me chance... oh boy...

Well, I looked up at Zedd, said, "Okey Dokey, let's do it..." So I proceeded to stand up and that was it.... kaploop, I must've hit the floor like doorbell or a clunky gong, because the next morning I had such a knot on me forehead that I'll probably never get rid of it.

But that wasn't the worse of it... I'd woken up on the edge of the cliff, and bacon and fresh eggs were winding there way along the crevices of me brain cells, or what was left of them after all that wine....

I looked up and saw Zedd cooking away... sure, I should've figured he'd be the reasonable one.

He gave me look like he'd seen his best friend die, and said, "Well, it's not as bad as it looks... a little coffee, a couple eggs, some,home fries, and a little bacon should fix ye up real quick, Wiz... "

I didn't say a word, I just rolled over, pulled the rag covering me extremities up over me head, closed me eyes, and went back to sleep....

-- more to come ---

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:13 pm 

Later that afternoon I finallly rolled out of the grass where I'd parked me bones, and sat up looking around for Zedd. I didn't find him about, but I did see a nice pot of coffee still steaming on the fire, and a plate of victuals covered and ready for me sittng on the edge under some warm coals.

Zedd was always thoughtful in that respect. Nothing ever seemed to bother him, he could entertain himself just watching the sky. But he didn't like to sit around much, nor for long.... an itch in the blood to see what was on the other side of the hill kept him fidgety and full of the old wonderlust.

But I was much the same, except that I liked to think things through before I wandered off into unknown lands. Not Zedd, he'd just walk right into the face of danger without thinking twice. Never could figure him out in that respect. And to get him to listen to reason, well forget that he had his own mind and it definitely didn't play by any known rules I'd ever known.

So I sat there and enjoyed the eggs, and ham steak, biscuits and jam and butter... and by the time I'd finished and was sipping on my second cup of coffee Zedd wandered up and said, "Hey, sleepy, thought you'd be still in the sack." I wanted to kick that big grin right off his face, but knew he'd just laugh harder, so instead I said,

"Well, where we going now?"

"Well, Yeesha's got a mission for us... something special, a new Age."

Oh boy, here we go again.....

----- more to come -----

Last edited by earthwizard on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: The missing boat....
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:14 pm 

Ah, thought I'd forgotten about the boat did you....

Well, I had, really, forgotten all about the boat and my use of the rope that had kept it tied up all safe and sound. Well, of course, I'd drug the boat up on the shore thinking it would be safe, but I'd not counted on a rise in the water. So the inner sea had tides.... and the boat was gone.

"A fine pickle of mess you've gotten us into now, Wiz" Zedd said nonchalantly.

What could I say? Like Stan Laurel I just stood their twirling me eyes, hoping the probelm would dissapear. But Zedd was no Oliver Hardy, and I was no Laurel either, so I just hemmed and hawed a little and then said, "Well, we could always ask our friends the Bahro for a little tablet, hey?"

Zedd laughed, and shook his belley like a deformed Santa, and continued, "Oh, don't worry, Wiz, I think if you look in your knapsack, you'll find something that will take care of that for us."

Well, I thought, "Hmm, what did Yeesha give me? I knew that Zedd had made a present of our Linking Book and given it to Yeesha the night before. Not something I wanted to be reminded of... either! I thought it might be unwise, knowing that Yeesha was truly a bit of a fanatic where her legacy and the legacy of the D'ni was concerned and did not know how she'd use the book: for good or ill? But I let it pass, knowing that Zedd was a littel wiser in that category than I."

So I took the knapsack off of me shoulders and unlatched the hooks and cords and reached inside, and to my surprise I found....

--- more to come ----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:52 am 

Quote:
So I took the knapsack off of me shoulders and unlatched the hooks and cords and reached inside, and to my surprise I found....

yourself lost in the knapsack :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next