It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:58 am 

Okay, as the title states, I've come up with a new machinima idea, and I wanted to run it passed you guys to get some feedback.

A series with Douglas Sharper as the main character, done in film noir style. I have yet to decide whether it'd be a comedy or serious, though I'm leaning towards comedy, since I have the experience for it. It'd be based around the general happenings in the cavern that involve Sharper, and some stuff that I just make up.

I mean the potential there is pretty great. Okay, lemme set an opening scene for you guys.

(Scene opens in Sharpers Office in black and white. Old style film noir jazz plays in the background and we hear the soft drizzle of rain. Doug is at his desk, staring into space.)

Doug: It was another rainy day. Although how it can be rainy in a cavern, I have no idea. Word had it that Ms. Alexander had Laxman hook up a weather machine they'd found on some age to the Great Zero. Sort of a bad move in my opinion, since they can't even seem to get the GZ itself to work properly.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm not paid for my opinion. And the ambiance is nice here in the old office. Down below its not so nice though. Some of the explorers have started trying to surf from the great stairs to the library. Which in turn has given rise to the explorer based "D'ni Guild of Lifegaurds."...

And so on.

Well, any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:30 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Amazing. It so happens I was talking with a friend who had the idea for a vignette that might fit into this. Contact me in Cavern usually after 10:00 PM Eastern US.

KI#33109

Last edited by JWPlatt on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:46 am 

I just wish there were a way we could get him smoking a cigarette and have a bottle of whiskey with a shot glass on the desk. Now THAT would complete the scene!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:52 am 

filmed with the modern touch like Frank Miller's Sin City? Could be pretty funkadelic :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:31 am 

No, I was thinking more of a classic noir style. Like an old detective noir sorta style. 40's/50's style.

"My name is Douglas Sharper. I work for a group called the D'ni Restoration Council. My job?... Heh... Whatever they tell me. My bread is buttered by the new boss lady, Cate Alexander. In this ancient city, she's both God and state. Suits me fine. At least she doesn't bring the wrath down if I don't go to church on Sundays. And she's a lot better to look at than old Watson ever was."

That was more of an example of a serious style noir monologue. Just popped outta my head, sorry. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:36 am 

That's a really cool idea. I've been on a film noir trip lately and have been watching some of the old classics. I'd love to see a an Uru noir :)

I think that would be: "My job?... Ha!..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:52 am 

mmm... Uru noir. Sounds good!

A dream of mine is to see a Myst movie in the hands of Miyazaki. Now _there's_ a man who would bring the creative vision and emotional depth required to really make a Myst story come to life on the silver screen.

Underground, overground, wombling free!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:56 am 
Obduction Backer

I think it's a great idea! Something different! It has great potential :D Especially with all the avatar emotes we have now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:37 am 
Obduction Backer

thork wrote:
mmm... Uru noir. Sounds good!

A dream of mine is to see a Myst movie in the hands of Miyazaki. Now _there's_ a man who would bring the creative vision and emotional depth required to really make a Myst story come to life on the silver screen.

Are you sure about that? lol, don't get me wrong, Miyazaki is amazing, but I couldn't see Uru as an anime.

As for your idea, Kam, sounds like yet another fun project. You should try it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:16 am 

thork wrote:
A dream of mine is to see a Myst movie in the hands of Miyazaki.

Wow, that thought just blew me away! Yes! The D'niverse cries out for animation. Honest-to-goodness, old-fashioned 2D animation. If not Miyazaki, then maybe Brad Bird? "The Pento Wars" done by Tartakovsky? Animation would open up so many doors to bringing Myst/Uru to the masses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:31 am 

Quote:
I couldn't see Uru as an anime.

well, anything's possible... but what I was meaning was a movie based on and around Myst - so back in the days of Atrus on Myst Island.

Imagine Myst Island drawn Miyazaki style. The grass blowing in the wind, the clouds/fog, the architecture and devices. Then seeing where and how Atrus and family live on the Island (their rumoured underground living quarters). Not to mention linking to other worlds. Miyazaki's sensibilities would lend itself perfectly to such a project IMHO.

He and his team can draw such beautiful places that seem to convey any emotion they need. In that way Cyan & Miyazaki have something in common, even if their visual styles are very different.
Anyway, I just think a Myst movie would work best animated, because could we really buy anyone else as Atrus if Mr Miller didn't play the part?
:wink: oh, and the Brad Bird & Tartakovsky ideas = *geekgasm* :D

Underground, overground, wombling free!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:40 pm 

Uh, guys... we're sorta drifting off the subject here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

I like this classic film noir idea and especially the 50/60's black and white theme. Any more sneek peeks at the script, Kam? What about the music scoring?

"Cate Alexander linked into the office; her presence all that I imagined it might have been if her namesake himself had appeared instead. I reached for the the bottom drawer but was hit by an uncharacteristic indecisiveness. Which bottle should I offer and pour the libation to our momentous meeting from? Would she be a Classic Coke or a Pepsi kind of gal? Instinctively I knew the future of our relationship could rest entirely upon my next move. There was no bottom drawer."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:10 pm 

Uru Noir - Just love that idea - Run with it Kam!

And while you are at it, any plans for "As D'ni Turns?" We have a mini soap running right now in the cavern....... I can imagine the cast of characters now:

Nick White - Man around the Cavern and Ladies Man....

Sil_oh_wet - sweet Bevin girl....

Jazz - Cavern Jazzbaby......

Heaven - A slice of Heaven underground.........

Douglas Sharper - Man of Mystery....

Will Nick and Doug go on their expedition.....will they take Rils.....will Doug use Nick as bait? Who will get the girl(s)......... Next week......an Eder Gira Interlude..........

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:38 pm 

I like the idea. Just so long as we can also still have the Public Safety Announcements. ;) I'm addicted!

Sosiqui in Cavern

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next