It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:33 pm 

Shorah everyone. I think this is the right place for this, if not, I apologize. I'm trying to make my own real, live Yeesha shirt. However, as I'm sure anyone who's taken a close look at one realizes, Yeesha shirts have a bit of an odd construction. So I'm looking for some suggestions on how best to replicate that design. I'm at a bit of a loss myself. Thanks to anyone who offers some advice, and I'll put up some pictures should I manage to make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:54 pm 

hmmm, trickym personaly it reminds me of a potatoe bag... But i doubt you would want to walk around in one of those :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:02 am 

Well it's just burlap. I'd say start with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:13 am 
Obduction Backer

It appears to be in two layers.. one a rough material, and the other probably smoother and a different color... so that means making two entire layers, or looking at how you might attach the lighter material sections to the heavier layer... hmm now I'll have to go look at it again... ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:09 am 

yeah, my feeling right now is that the bottom layer is just a t-shirt in whatever color (that is a recolorable element, right?), and the top layer is burlap. It's the way they connect up that's stumping me.

that's the only picture I can find at the moment. I'm having trouble getting into gametap at the moment, but I'll put up some better screenshots once I can.

EDIT: Here's a big bucket o' screenshots, on the off-chance that helps.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

It's more complicated than I thought initially. It looks like the red elements are part of the burlap that is dyed and sewn, and only the small blue portions are the underlayer. You can see in the selection thumbnail that a little of it shows up above the red collar, and of course it shows through the 2 holes in the sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:10 am 
Obduction Backer

I'd approach it with a normal shirt pattern; but extend it a few inches below the belt line. (The avatar pictures don't show that, but it will look much less modern if you do. This is a standard SCA trick.)

Then cut out the side blocks; then add the red pieces as applique, with heavy dark-brown thread to pick out the patterns. Add a red belt of the same material, worn underneath the shirt, and you're basically there. (You could sew the belt to the inside of the shirt, but I'm not sure I see any need to.)

For added fun, paint the areas underneath the red applique -- before you sew them on, obviously. A very watered dark paint on wet fabric might soak through and give that dark aura effect. I'm really guessing here, though; I've never played with fabric paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I've got one half made. I'll find where I folded it up, and get pics

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:59 am 

Ohhhh!! I want one! I would most definitely wear that. lol :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:19 pm 

Wow, cool!
This kinda reminds me of when I wanted to make clothes out of Myst IV: [spoiler]The Serenian clothes, of course :P ;)[/spoiler] but I lost faith when I realized I needed to make patterns and stuff.

I'll watch this with interest. And please post those pics Eleri, it'll be interesting to see what you've done. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]