It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Reemergence
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:59 pm 

Four years is a long time to wait.

I was one of the few who stayed after the DRC packed up and ‘closed’ the caverns. We were a headstrong bunch, driven by our lust for exploration of the ancient city and the worlds they held. We wanted to continue what the DRC had started but perhaps didn’t have the stomach for once things got moving, and back then, things moved fast. Yes, there had been some mistakes in the beginning and accidents did occur. But where some of us turned and ran for the nearest access to the surface, others, those who fell into my camp, pressed on, opened the doors and found so much more than the DRC could have possibly imagined.

I was there four years ago, when the community below, gathering in the city streets, in the neighborhoods and throughout the sanctioned Ages open to us, rivaled that of the tent city up on the surface, families and fellow explorers hoping to be part of history.

Four years ago, after they left with their red tape and roadblocks, I was able to access areas of the city, Ages, and tap into the secrets of the D’Ni I had once thought were lost forever. My private Age, Relto, was a teeming source for knowledge, a superhighway to a vast network the D’ni secrets, their inhabited worlds, their treasure houses. They were all at my fingertips.

And four years ago, all of this I lost.

Those who remained called me The Collector. They respected me because of my ability through the Ages, and envied me for my collection. I had the gift, some said, a sixth sense, if you will, for finding the books, uncovering secrets and moving forward. Each discovery furthered my reputation and increased my own ambition. The power I felt. I could clearly see how the great D’Ni kings succumbed to the temptation of the divine. With so many worlds under their reign it would be easy to mistake a king, for a god.

I had entered what I mistook to be a Harvest Age, a book I brought back to Relto late in the day. My last recollection of the harbor was the bright orange of late afternoon, gripping tightly to the Harvest Age before placing my hand on the home age fastened to my belt. I remembered the grass being cool in Relto, as I sat with the Harvest Book, looking out over my home Age, the orange sky resembled the lake, not once did I think this would be the last time I looked upon the Age that I now called home, the Age that, with each discovered page, I had built.

Upon entering the Age, I was presented with a great D’Ni harvester, a machine that somewhat resembled the drilling machines found between the city and the Great Shaft, retrofitted with giant blades for threshing and gathering wheat. In the distance was the top of a building I would later discover to be a granary. There was a dairy farm, a harbor with docked fishing boats and even the equivalent to a slaughterhouse. It was odd to find a Harvest Age that seemed to hold every aspect of the D’ni’s dietary needs, though I could have easily seen this as perhaps an experimental Age. Why waste a book for each food group when one could make a single world for all food. All in all, this Age seemed somewhat thrown together yet clear on its purpose.

A good explorer will tell you that the first thing you should do upon entering a stable Age would be to find the linking book. This had two benefits. One, the obvious, you have a link back to the primary world, typically the Cavern’s. It’s you’re ticket home. Though due to the Relto Books we all carried, finding the Links were not as important as they may have been for the writers of the Age. I suppose we have Yeesha to thank for just one thing, assuming she is in fact the one who penned my home Age to begin with. Though the Linking Book also opened the possibility of the discovery of other worlds, worlds within worlds and finding the link might just bring me to areas of the city I had yet to discover.

A good explorer I was not, having put my thirst to explore ahead of the most basic procedures that separated the pros from the armatures. My reputation had gotten the better of me and I had not even considered the Link. I went days before looking for it and by then it was too late. This Age was not for harvesting after all. This Age, was a prison.

If trouble truly came in three’s, not finding the Linking Book would have counted as one, loosing my Link back to Relto would have been two and finding it in the mouth of my dinner that night would have been three. I should explain. As stated already, the “Harvest” Age had a slaughterhouse for what passed for cattle on this world. These beasts were stocky like cows, but resembled giant docile cats. Their teeth were flat and round, unlike cats, used to chewing on cud and they would ‘moo’ with long roaring whines. Because the Age had gone unattended for so long, the population of these animals had increased significantly. I was in no danger of attack, but the resources were seriously diminished. Much like goats, who would eat anything including the tin can, these cow-cats had devoured anything they could get their teeth around. I even found some of the wooden structures, gnawed into pulp. Basically, anything that wasn’t stone was fair game.

The Relto Age had fallen from its clip on my belt. The belt was old, it was my mistake. I should have taken a trip back up to the surface to the nearest Walmart, but instead I collected Ages and got expletive. My belt broke and the Age had fallen without my knowing. Once I had realized it missing, I retraced my steps, returning to an open field where a cow-cat had already eaten half of the book. Fighting it from the rabid creature was no longer an option once I saw how cloudy the display panel had become. No longer was the Relto image visible underneath the creature’s teeth.

I made short work of the creature and that night, as I dinned on its stewed remains I realized that I was trapped on a world with a limitless supply of food. I would not die, but I would never be free either. I had done this to myself. In an instant I had lost everything.

Until one day…

Someone else entered my world.

Four years later.

I regained a Relto, and access to D’Ni once again. The DRC had returned with their restrictions, but I’ve begun to collect again.

How someone managed to find another Harvester Prison Age is still a mystery to me. Certainly the Book left in Relto, my previous Relto with all of its Ages is lost forever, but if a second Link was made to this prison book, it begs the question as to its true intention. Prison Ages, as I so stupidly found out, are far to dangerous ever with fail-safes like the Relto book in place. Regardless someone stumbled upon this Age, someone who had begun Yeesha’s journey and had found himself a Relto of his own, a Relto that surely contained at least a link back to the city.

Am I worried or ashamed for what I had done? In four years I was able to ‘control’ the population of cattle on the Age, as well as replant the native grains. The harvester works well and is in fact automated. One could survive for years, living comfortably on this world with plenty of food. My friend did not part with his Relto Age willingly and the simple truth that they are alone now, as I was might come as somewhat unsettling to some. I did what I had to do. Yes, they are alone, but, so too was I, and I managed to keep my wits about me. Solitude, it seems, is a purifying process to the soul and perhaps four, or forty years from now, the former owner of the Relto Age I now possess will understand this concept just as I have. I am not cruel. I left them with everything they could possibly need to survive. And besides, there are Age’s to uncover and rediscover and who but I am up for such an important, if not, divine task?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:23 pm 

Very nice, keep it coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:55 pm 

There were many ways into the Baron’s Office. The way Lucas found had only been the most direct. Once inside, he looked over the city proper, out across the harbor and a smile bridged his face as his eyes settled on a looming shadow out beyond the reach of the city lights. From the inside of his coat he pulled out a business card and on the back he scribed the unique numbers for his KI, in perfect D’Ni of course.

He placed the card on Sharper’s desk.

A gloved hand thumbed open the Relto Book that hung tightly to a black canvas belt, but before he made the link, Lucas wondered who would find his card first, Sharper, the boy Nick; visiting to perhaps explain his actions to his old boss, or perhaps it would be picked up by another, one who hopefully held similar ideals and ambitions? After all, it’d be a shame to be followed by one without a heart for Lucas’ brand of collecting, one who would be more of a hindrance than a help. Such souls were short lived. Who would get him to where he needed to go?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]