It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:59 am 

Guild of Cartographers Quick Resource List II

With all the changes coming in July, I thought the GoC needed this new resource List. If I have missed anything you feel is important PM me or post it here. I'll edit and add to this post from time to time.

Guild History D'ni Era: DPWR.NET
Guild History Restored: DPWR.NET

Restored Guild Founding Thread: UO 2003
Restored Guild Founding Thread: UO 2007 - research in progress (anyone want to research this?)
Restored Guild 2008 Update: (in progress)

The term Restored Guild refers to the Archivists’ definition and their need to distinguish between the Guild in the D'ni's era and the Guild in the current day, labeled RESTORED, as in restored by modern day peoples.

The ‘Founding Thread’ is the series of post at Uru Obsession (UO) when Futographer (eventually Grand Master Pa'trick) and others were founding the Guild. It gives one a sense of the purpose and spirit of the Guild. Reading it one can get a sense of why the Guild has so few rules. I consider the thread almost required reading for any prospective Guild member.

Joining the Guild
For now we are using the Uru Obsession forum as a sign up point. This was the sign up point for the Guild in 2003/2004. UruMaps.com was the sign up point during Grand Master Aiden’s term (2007). Since his site is down, we have reverted to using the original thread at UO.

UO Link: Cartographers Guild - How to Join II

IMPORTANT CHAT LOGS – 2007-2008
Chat Log of Sept. 2007 Guild Meeting (formatted): MOUL Thread
Chat Log with Mapping Tutorial:UO Thread
July 3 Edited Chat Log: GoMa Forum - see 10th post in thread - Includes Cyan Road Map in first post

Mapping Links
Mark_af's Uru Map Page: LINK – (Spoilers)
Guild of Greeter’s Maps: LINK – Walkthroughs and other SPOILERS

Guild Links
Original 2004 Guild Site: Ricka’s Uru GoC Site
GoC Technical Data Site: Uru Maps Tech Data – Maps and technical information
GoC Forum: Uru Obsession GoC Forum – Historic home of the GoC
Guild Master Gadren’s 3D overhead surveys: UO Thread
Guild Tasks for MORE: UO Thread
Guild Tasks for MORE: MOUL Thread (pending)

Guild of Cartographers Quick Resource List (first - history): Reference - MOUL[/url]

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Last edited by Nalates on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 pm 

GoC Bevin in MOULagain
There is now a GoC Bevin in AGAIN. Joining this Bevin is joining the In-Character guild. The join instructions for the Out-Of-Character Real Life guild are/were in the preceding post, but are now out of date. See below.

The instructions for joining any Bevin are here: Helpful notes to have...

GoC RL Guild
The new link (which I can't edit in a sticky) to the 'How to Join' information is: Guild of Cartographers How to Join II

Twitter Group
Twitter.com/GoCartog

GoC SEARCH TOOL
I've added an Uru Search Tool to the GoC Tech Data site. I't is complete now and gets a decent amount of use.

GoC: Uru Search Tool

The State of the GoC
Many things are changing. As is the apparent role of the GoC.State of the GoC 2009

The Nature of the Guilds - IC/OOC
There is considerable confusion over who created which guilds and what is meant by 'official'. Read the blog posts The Guilds of Myst-Uru Part I

Fan Created Age Lists
alcugs original
GoMa special use Myst-Uru Age List
Several posts state one or the other is the 'recommended' list. There are also statements the alcugs game install is the 'recommend' and that there are play problems with the GoMa recommended install. Most omit mention of the copyright and EULA problems GoMa tried to avoid. So, this is not a simple one is better or recommended. It involves several issues on different levels. Its your choice.

Time to Build MOUL Ages - Post by RAWA 10/2009

Edit: Updated 2010-10-06 Corrected Join II Link

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Last edited by Nalates on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: I completed Er'cana Map
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:23 pm 

I did a detailed map of Ercana using triagulated section measurements of stepped off distances over about 100 plus key points. :shock: Then I eyed in the graphic lines to fit what I could see for the stone ledges and walls. :o
In the end, it produced a very good map, though I guess it to be only 94 to 98 % accurate. There are some places within the games graphic structure that would not and could not be reconciled no mater how many times or ways I tried to work it out. :cry: They are for the most part, minor. The really hard challenge was determining the distance for the factory and the cargo car distance ride from inside to the outside dock. :roll: I noted the step measures for both Harvester and the cargo car. Those I did as seperate projects. Colored it some lightly with colored pencils and markers. I was going to have it scanned into a file at a local print shop. But the $250.00 cost they wanted to do it for really put me off! I am thinking I could try to scan it into my own computer with my hp All-in-One. Though it would have to be done in sections and then re-assembled into a single file format. I don't have the drawing with me at this post, so I can only guess the original drawing turned out to be around 17" by 24" in size. The scale I used was dictated by my calculating the over all amount of steps from one end to the factory and the the factory its self. I think it ended up being like a metric scale of 1 millimeter = 1 step. It was great fun for me. My super obsessive compulsive side took great pleasure in stepping off the distances when after 400 plus steps, the triangulation fell dead to rights with the other triple checked step angles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:34 am 

Borrow a digital camera and take a picture. Really. It can produce better results than a scanner.

Scanners are more for the 'print world'. If you were going to print posters then a scan might be needed. I have used 5 & 10 megabyte image cameras to capture original oils for use in making Giclee prints. For use on the web a 1mb can work.

Post subject: Picture with camera!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:45 am 

DOH :roll: why didn't I think of that! :oops: Super idea! :idea: I think I can tinker that out into something to post in Guild of Cartograhpers. Thanx Nalates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:04 am 

A Bevin has been added for GoC in MOULagain. Joining the GoC Bevin is joining the In-Character guild.

A Twitter was made. Twitter.com/GoCartog Being a follower at Twitter is a good way to stay informed and share information.

Contacts:
K#oo 219 651 - GoC av
K#oo o83 543 - Nal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:19 pm 

Just a few days ago I was making a map of Minkata (I know that there are others out there, it's a personal challenge.)

I didn't know that triangulating could be so much fun! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:52 am 

In character Guild of Cartographers Bevin neighborhood sounds like my cup of tea.
I have map drawings of ALL the MOUL Ages as well as the other Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation and Ends games.
I managed to do a large 2' X 3' print of my Er'cana Map effort for the last Mysterium I didn't make. I also since did a large print Map of the Kadish Tolesa Age. I got web files of them saved, but have yet to navigate the GoC website to upload them. Though the Kadish has no labels yet. I was hoping to add the labels in with Adobe program, but that wasn't as easy a learning curve as I had hoped. Stalled effort. Probably should have stuck with manual paste on labeling.
Maybe I can hook up with some MOUL Cartographers to compare tricks of the trade with. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm 

For posting maps... lets spit the thread. See: Uru Map Posting

For joining the guild see the earlier posts. For more detailed information see: Guild of Cartographers Members/Joining

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:58 pm 

Nalates, your links to your review of providers for uploading and storing Photos/ Pictures for game/ non-game use is a good source.
I may not always agree with you, but I do agree you have some skills and provide some really good feed back to explorers.
:x I have a paid "Image Shack" account that I never figure out how to use. :shock: My hours at trying to upload all my Ki images to it met with endless failures. :oops:

The 3 free accounts you suggest of providers seems a good place to start. 8)
If I can manage to get the free account sites to actually work, I don't mind purchasing the additional service upgrades to simplyfy accounts active use requirements. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]