It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Linguist Guild
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:44 am 

Although its been a while since last exploring the D'ni excavation site, I was wondering if any guild was still active dealing with the D'ni language? With this rekindling of activity in the caves, we should rebuild our resources in personnel able to actively translate any new finds that come along. Although out of field work for a while, I myself have been brushing up on my D'ni to be of more use to the overall project.

Pray success in all of our endeavors.

~Ghezra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:44 am 
Obduction Backer

You may want to check out the D'ni Linguistic Fellowship: http://linguists.bahro.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:23 am 

Alahmnat wrote:
You may want to check out the D'ni Linguistic Fellowship: http://linguists.bahro.com/

Unfortunately it seems that it hasn't seen much activity in the last 8 months. Thank you for the reply though! For now I'll just have to brush up and we'll see in the future if anything new will arise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:49 am 

I'm also trying to brush of on the language. Although if a guild were to be arranged I'd be happy to join or contribute or whatnot.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:44 am 

I'm one of the main representatives of the DLF in-cavern, and was present at the Kirel Guild Fair. Things have been a little slow on the site, in part because the forum database got corrupted and many of our previous posts (and translations) have been lost.

We are trying to get things going again. Come check us out! Ask questions, make comments, and let's get the DLF going again.

Eyen waxen
3: 7)$]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 pm 

I, too, would like to see the DLF get busy again. The site still recognizes my membership. But the loss of the forum archives is a huge bite out of everything that was done before. Isn't there a Google-run archive of old web sites and some of their content? I know I have had links to old archived sites through something like that, but I don't recall how it works or how to access it.

Does anyone reading this have any idea?

MOUL KI#10695353 (deactivated)

MOULA KI #54271

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 pm 

I still maintain the DLF needs to drop the pretensions and call itself a guild. It would help in getting people to identify and find it easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:28 pm 

Now that's confusing. Didn't the DLF take over from the erstwhile D'ni Linguistic Guild?

Is there some Guild history there that prompted the change that Whilyam now wants to see undone?

MOUL KI#10695353 (deactivated)

MOULA KI #54271

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Stejovis wrote:
Is there some Guild history there that prompted the change that Whilyam now wants to see undone?

Some infomation.
DLF community
languagelyst · D'ni Language Lyst
GUILD OF LINGUISTS HOMEPAGE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:28 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
I still maintain the DLF needs to drop the pretensions and call itself a guild. It would help in getting people to identify and find it easily.

I was unaware the DLF had any pretencions to anything.

Stejovis wrote:
Now that's confusing. Didn't the DLF take over from the erstwhile D'ni Linguistic Guild?

As semplerfi linked, originally we had the Language Lyst, which evolved into the Guild of Linguists. I don't recall the circumstances, but the Guild of Linguists died, and the DLF was formed. The name was likely picked to distinguish itself from the old Guild. I also recall some suggestion that the DLF was set up as a "fellowship" to imply that you didn't have to "take sides" by being a member of one guild or another; you could be a member of the DLF and still maintain membership in any other guild.

Perhaps Whilyam's right. Perhaps the time is ripe for the DLF to become the Guild of Linguists once again. That's a decision which is probably up to the current DLF upper hierarchy and not to people like me.

Eyen waxen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:37 pm 

I asked why on the forums before (which have sadly ceased to work) and I forget the exact response, but I thought it was either over past drama in the Guild or the then-current drama over Guilds in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:44 am 
Obduction Backer

A History of D'ni Linguists (at least according to my memory):

The earliest D'ni Linguist group was known simply as "The Circle", which formed in order to discuss one of the earliest D'ni Documents---Aitrus' Map to the Surface. The Map had tons of D'ni words, & they had a great time deciphering the alphabet & figuring out what the words meant (long before Cyan ultimately posted the full translations). Their findings were kept secret in "The Vault", which one had to accquire a Password to get into. Unfortunately, at some point an unknown member of the Circle broke the group's code of silence, the Password got out, their little D'ni Lexicon became public knowledge, & the group soon dissolved.

The old "Guild of Linguists" was formed back in "ye olden days" between Riven & Exile, by the brothers Simon & Josef Riedl. It wasn't really a "Guild", per say---it was a website with D'ni Language Lessons (the most comprehensive & well-designed until all the new Uru content). In April of 2007, Leenay founded the Language Lyst, for renewed discussion on the D'ni Language. But once we started getting more D'ni Language content from Uru, it became apparent that a Forum was needed.

So in the Fall of 2003, during the Uru Open Beta, or "Prologue", Domahreh & Jerle started a D'ni Language Forum. In the beginning, the group was "by invitation only", & was sort of kept secret (Just ask my brother, [email protected] I was at the pre-DLF Forums, & I told him that I couldn't talk about what Myst/Uru/D'ni thing I was working on, he'd always say "Secrets & Lies!" ;)). They invited any D'ni Linguists they could find, & we all got together & discussed how we wanted to organize ourselves & operate.

We talked quite a lot about what to call our group. I was among those who ardently wanted to use the name "Guild of Linguists"---as much as we wanted to distinguish ourselves from the Riedl's project, a D'ni Guild was ultimately the type of organization we wanted to be. It's hard to say how many people wanted us to use which name, but ultimately Cyan "shot down" our use of the word "Guild"---they were apparently saving the "Guilds" for something specific later in Uru (although the Guild of Greeters was granted an "exception" because they had already formed, very early in the Uru Beta).

So in early 2004, the "D'ni Linguistic Fellowship" was officially formed & went public (sadly, this was not long before the announcement of Uru's cancellation :( ). In it's hey-day, it was quite an exciting Forum to visit (if you like D'ni Linguistics, anyway ;)). With all the new D'ni Language content in Uru, we had quite a time learning & growing. During this time, the DLF co-founder Domahreh wrote & released his incredibly comprehensive & updated new D'ni Language Lessons---"Rechoortahn D'ni" ("The D'ni Student"). Members of the DLF also started creating & presenting "Rekorokh Deseekaytee" ("The Book of Puzzles"), a D'ni Language Puzzle-Booklet, every year at Mysterium (& later even at Mystralia). We were even hoping to start holding D'ni Language Lessons in Uru itself.

Sadly, with Uru's cancellation, activity at the DLF slowed down. There was no new content from Uru, & RAWA was busy w/things that were actually still making Cyan money. We've gotten a bit here & there over the years, but not a whole lot. RAWA made a nice gesture to help us by starting the "D'ni Language Research Project", where the DLF as a group could (out-of-character) make up new D'ni words, as agreed upon by the group, & then submit them to RAWA for approval (in-character, we were helping Dr. Watson translate D'ni written materials to expand our knowledge of the Language ;)). We got a few new words this way as well, but with the lack of steam in the DLF in general, activity in the DLRP slowly petered out.

RAWA is still quite busy with his work on Cyan's current projects---but he's still here, the DLRP is still here, the DLF is still here, & plenty of D'ni Linguists are still here. I for one would LOVE to see D'ni Linguistics get moving again! I would also certainly love to see the DLF "promoted" to the official "Guild of Linguists", but the Uru Community & the existing Guilds need to really "get in gear" In-Game first. One way or the other, the life & fate of D'ni Linguistics is dependent on US---those willing to start talking, & start participating. So let's go! :) It may be slow-going at first, but remember what the D'ni said:

".lenah biv kenen tenesh erthbantee m'keelentee roob rekeelen fah'ets kenen ten ril'tsahn"
^_^

P.S. D'ni Linguistic Factoid: At Mysterium 2009 in Spokane, I talked w/Rand briefly, & asked him how much D'ni he knew. He said that he didn't know much, but that (while the D'ni Language is obviously RAWA's "baby") he actually helped invent the alphabet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:39 am 

K'laamas wrote:
We were even hoping to start holding D'ni Language Lessons in Uru itself.

Just as a side note, I held beginner-level lessons in UU and MOUL, mostly aimed at familiarizing people with the numbers and alphabet. It was always intended as a foundation for future lessons on the actual language, by other members of the DLF, but that never materialized, I don't think.

I should be getting a headset soon, at which point I may start those lessons up again. Should be easier with voice chat and with those handouts I made.

Eyen waxen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 pm 

K'laamas wrote:
I would also certainly love to see the DLF "promoted" to the official "Guild of Linguists", but the Uru Community & the existing Guilds need to really "get in gear" In-Game first. :)

Thanks for that post. I love the history of the modern guilds.
I have a question. What do you mean by getting in gear in-game? Do you have an example?

Guild of Messengers Website: www.guildofmessengers.com or http://rel.to/gome

Receive news on Facebook: http://rel.to/gome_fb or Twitter: http://twitter.com/GoMessengers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next