It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:58 pm 

cedward1 wrote:
I may have missed some things throughout this discussion, and being a newbie relative to the GoG I may have no room to talk. But the issue seems awfully simple to me. The Guild of Greeters simply doesn't have enough active members. There's nothing wrong with structure or politics, there is just an absence of anyone doing anything.

I think you have missed some things. Yes, lack of active members IS one of the main problems, but the structure and politics are one of the reasons for the absence of people. For one thing, the needlessly restrictive rules discourage new members and delay the membership process for those who don't get discouraged. Furthermore, the cultish internal politics of the group leads to people leaving the group.

Quote:
As for the Guild being "closed" to new membership, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure there is still an inexhaustable box of Guild t-shirts in Kirel. I have seen nothing in the Cavern restricting membership, so what is to stop myself an others from putting on a shirt and hanging out in the GoG Hood? If the current members have lost interest or no longer have the time to devote to it, it is time for new members.

The Guild t-shirts are NOT how people join the GoG. That was one of the points the GoG stressed when the Guilds went public because the leadership wanted to retain their control over new members. Membership is only open when the leadership says it is, which is a bad way to run a volunteer organization.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 pm 

I guess my main question now, then, is why there even needs to be a Guild of Greeters. I mean, if the work that is or was done by them can be done by any volunteer, then why do we need to have an official group? If we are concerned that the GoG isn't doing enough, we can always form our own group, and do our own greeting. We could even do it in the Guild of Greeters Hood, and give them a hand. If the goal is truly to help new Explorers, then who needs to gain membership to a private group? Whatever the reason, the current GoG isn't accepting new members, but after all they are just a group of explorers like the rest of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, dug this one up again too while we're at it eh?

look, anyone can be a greeter, shirt or not... just walk up to somebody and greet them. whether or not the GOG is beside the point or not is beside the point.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4