It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:41 am 

JWPlatt wrote:
I'm just curious:

For how many of you are these discussions theoretical or hypothetical exercises, and for how many are these practical questions of a tangible work in progress? Maybe just mention it in your On-Topic post rather than devoting a post to answering this question.

I agree. I think, in the interest of keeping things streamlined and to-the-point (and saving RAWA's sanity) we should keep our focus on the applicable and not the hypothetical right now; meaning if it applies to what you have planned, ask away. But I don't think it's fair to burden Cyan with questions that we don't really need answers to right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:47 am 

I still have a question about linking. This seems like a good place for it. I haven't read anything that gives a definite answer.

If you find a linking book and the link-in spot has been filled in by solid material say from a land slide, do you link into it and.. well die? end up burried alive?

If the link-in spot is filled in with water, do you link into water? underwater?

From the Super Nova description from the books, I would assume you would link into whatever filled in the spot, altho I have heard that the link may move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:04 am 

While this is a personal and subjective judgement I feel the discussions here at least put our feelings and thoughts into a forum where we know from past responses RAWA will at least see them.

Discussions of a hypothetical nature avoid flame wars and are akin to the medieval discussion about the number of angels that can dance on a pin head. Many modern people think of this as a frivolous pointless debate but it is felt that this was a way of discussing the concept of finite and infinite without incuring the wrath of the church.

As long as we leave the final judgement up to Cyan and we all agree to bow to their decision then discussions in this forum can proceed in a civil and civilized manner.

To that point I have another concept to discuss but I will leave it till someone responds to this in order to avoid a double subject posting and a double post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:59 am 
I know how to avoid the planets-are-moving, stars-are-moving problem. Assuming that all Ages are on planets orbiting stars, which is by no means necessarily an established fact.

You can't make a link to a point in an Age that is moving relative to the Zero in that Age. Unless you use a bahro stone, which can only be produced by bahro and do not use the Zero coordinate system.

Simple. Next week, world peace. :D

Sudre: that's what Maintainer suits were for, so I guess the answer would be yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:32 am 

Link point buried then the link is broken and doesn't work

A link under water
Deep then back pressure of water stops link working.
Anything between broken link depth and say 3 metres you get wet and panic link to relto
(already worked this one into a storyline wear a Maintainer suit and you can surface from almost any depth. )
Anything less than 3 Metres you swim to surface

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Todelmer was a moon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I write a new Age(that is in agreement with the five rules), am I allowed to make a Linking Book that links from that age to another known Age in MORE, e.g. a link to the Library in Aegura. That should only have influence of my own Age, not on Aegura itself.

Would it be a contradiction if I "find" an Age where there lives a group of people that escaped from Garternay long ago? I assume that no Cyan created stuff says that the people of Garternay only escaped to Terahnee or D'ni?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sudre wrote:
I still have a question about linking. This seems like a good place for it. I haven't read anything that gives a definite answer.

If you find a linking book and the link-in spot has been filled in by solid material say from a land slide, do you link into it and.. well die? end up burried alive?

If the link-in spot is filled in with water, do you link into water? underwater?

From the Super Nova description from the books, I would assume you would link into whatever filled in the spot, altho I have heard that the link may move.

To the best of my knowledge, the link-in point is capable of shifting slightly to accommodate the potential presence of matter at the precise link-in point. However, canon is somewhat fuzzy on this matter; in several cases in the novels, characters move out of the way of the link-in spot, knowing that someone is linking in after them (implying that the link-in spot doesn't move at all, with unknown consequences), while in others, the second person to link in simply appears behind the first. I'd have to actually get official word from RAWA on what the mechanics would be of a buried or submerged link-in point.

oyferder wrote:
If I write a new Age(that is in agreement with the five rules), am I allowed to make a Linking Book that links from that age to another known Age in MORE, e.g. a link to the Library in Aegura. That should only have influence of my own Age, not on Aegura itself.

This is fine, provided you use an existing link-in point (no adding link-in coordinates to the established Ages, I suspect), since you could have either written a link to that location yourself, or "otherwise acquired" a Book that already linked there. Provided all you're doing is linking there, I don't see any problem with that.

Quote:
Would it be a contradiction if I "find" an Age where there lives a group of people that escaped from Garternay long ago? I assume that no Cyan created stuff says that the people of Garternay only escaped to Terahnee or D'ni?

Hmm... that's a potentially fuzzy area. The only canon we have states that "The King allowed Ri'neref to split away from Ronay, along with a few other small groups, while the majority of Ronay left Garternay to a new home world called Terahnee. Ri'neref took his group to Earth, where he established the D'ni (meaning "New Beginning").", so you could probably get away with it... you'd just have to once again be careful about painting with too broad of a brush when documenting the people who relocated there, as I suspect the same rules apply here as they would with revealing new information about the D'ni.

Also, completely OT, but zander, I really like the last bit of your sig. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:47 pm 

Calam wrote:
I think a stamp on the book would be more visible and less complicated...

Perhaps. And about as exciting as a spinster librarian with her hair in a bun.

Half of Maintaining is role-playing. And it's an important job. Our mark needs to reflect our commitment and service. And, besides, one of our projects is to get more functionality out of the GZ, and we need a piece of technology to accomplish that. Not an ink smudge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:54 pm 

Montgomery wrote:
Calam wrote:
I think a stamp on the book would be more visible and less complicated...

Perhaps. And about as exciting as a spinster librarian with her hair in a bun.

Half of Maintaining is role-playing. And it's an important job. Our mark needs to reflect our commitment and service. And, besides, one of our projects is to get more functionality out of the GZ, and we need a piece of technology to accomplish that. Not an ink smudge.

You'll need both. A stamp for 'rediscovered' D'ni Ages to verify their safety (since you can't add a second, new maintainer's mark into a D'ni Age that already has one) and some kind of new mark for the new Maintainers for new Ages

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Montgomery wrote:
...about as exciting as a spinster librarian with her hair in a bun...

Ah, I could tell you stories about spinster librarians that would make your hair curl...

Besides, change the sex, ditch the bun, and you've got me! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:51 pm 

Quote:
- Writer wants to "restore" a new area in the D'ni city itself.

Verdict: Denied. This would violate Rule #3 (by revealing "new" information about a place used in Cyan games and novels).

Shorah, RAWA!

I have a couple of questions about this. I understand that obviously we cannot restore parts of the original City to their D'ni glory.

Does this prevent us from doing simple maintenance? For example, clearing out the rubble in the Kahlo pub, or repairing the staircase leading to the pub. I PMed both you and greydragon ages ago about this -- see the Guild of Maintainers' Cavern Repair Projects, and I never heard back whether or not we'd be permitted to do this.

Similarly, if we wished to try to extend the functionality of the Great Zero to new Ages, would that be possible? If we wished to try to improve the KI functionality, would this be possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:04 pm 

I feel there has been a suitable break re- and I quote myself here

Quote:
I have another concept to discuss but I will leave it till someone responds to this in order to avoid a double subject posting and a double post.

I wish to suggest that if it is at all possible would Cyan be kind enough to either donate the use of one door in the City of Ae'gura with a bookcase beyond or possibly as previously suggested a sub-section of the Nexus machine so that when fan created material not suitable for integration into the Uru does become available those wishing to stay firmly within the IC universe can practice abstinence.

This would make it easier for those who persist in OOC discussion (By the way I include myself in this group) can do so without incurring the wrath of those who would prefer their Cyan fix unadulterated.

In the past we have seen flame wars and diatribes that bordered on insurrection and burning at the stake. While at risk of suffering someone's wrath could I propose some indication of IC-OCC status for the various hoods.

In a perfect world we could just as we have hoods public and private have a switch that signified IC or OOC although I would request that such a status be in the hands of Cyan or a nominated Hood representative preferably the hood's progenitor.

Please note I am throwing this open to discussion and any decision to this end by Cyan should I hope be considered final.

Consider it like an Oxbridge exam paper. Discuss :)

Try to avoid the following

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:19 pm 

I don't see any reason Oxbridge or otherwise to have any content in URU MOUL MORE that is NOT URU, this is NOT a public sandbox hosting site, it is a restoration of the world of URU and there is a vast wider world out there for any graphic contributions to be made. Lets keep this discussion focused on the target, the restoration of MOUL URU.

"We Build Worlds"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:34 pm 

Sorry, I did not go through all the postings as it hurts my eyes. :)

Talking about people writing books to an age that might be the same but technically different to be an instance of that age because they were written by different people. So in other words are you saying its impossible to create MORE than ONE linking book to the SAME age? My understanding, I am probably wrong is that as long as we write an age identical to its original then that link should take us to the same instance.

I question because we technically live in an age... and the maker wrote it. :) So... if we create our own age and at the same time we need to write a book to help us link back.... are we not creating an additional link to an age? Or do we surmise that its a different age but lets say is 99.9% close to the one we left before. And therefore if I see a friend in that age they are not my original friend but an instance of my friend. LOL. Boy this would make a great story. LOL

My brain is starting to hurt. LOL.

People... be careful what you write... because when you link there... and you see me... it won't be me.

<<don't know my KI#.....darn>>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 18  Next