It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:42 pm 
The distinction here is between a Descriptive Book and a Linking Book. The Descriptive Book is the one that to all intents and purposes creates the Age. Any attempt to Write an identical Descriptive Book creates an identical instance of that Age. A Linking Book takes you to an Age already Written: you can produce as many of those as you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:51 pm 

You can Write as many Linking Books to an Age as you want, but only one Descriptive Book. Even if you wrote two identical Descriptive Books, they would link to different Ages do to minor differences in the Ink and Book.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Right. Here's an analogy: I can create any number of shortcuts to a given application on the desktop of my computer, and double-clicking any of them will take me to that Age; i.e., launch that application. The properties of the application itself; read, "the descriptive book;" are very different from the shortcut; read "linking book," in that the application is much larger and more complex.

And in the same way, I can delete any or all of the shortcuts (linking books), and a touch of the descriptive book will still take me to the Age described therein. However, if I destroy the descriptive book, as Sirrus and Achenar did with Atrus's descriptive books in the Myst Island library, not only will that book never function again, but all linking books pertaining to that descriptive book will also lose their functionality. Similarly, if I delete an application icon on my PC, all shortcuts to that application will cease to work.

I may be stating the obvious, but I think this analogy played a big part in Cyan's original concept of the Myst book system.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:01 am 

CrisGer wrote:
I don't see any reason Oxbridge or otherwise to have any content in URU MOUL MORE that is NOT URU, this is NOT a public sandbox hosting site, it is a restoration of the world of URU and there is a vast wider world out there for any graphic contributions to be made. Lets keep this discussion focused on the target, the restoration of MOUL URU.

I never said it should be anything other than Uru.

If the restoration is to include fan content (Cyan decision not mine and not yours) we either need some totally separate as you put it sandbox (and I would suggest it's a private shared developer sandbox) or some section of MORE where the fan Writer/Maintainer community can thrash the bugs out of their Ages.

The private UU shards as were, provided just such an ideal location At this time we are cut off from this as an option and while they were good there were difficulties particularly when this space was shared with those who sought a truly immersive IC experience.

A lot of the name calling and bad blood came from a conflict between those that were looking to create new content in a vacuum (This was when CYAN were away) by experimentation and those that wanted to preserve the status quo.

I am looking to iron out some of those difficulties here while we are still at the ground rule setting stage.

If ever there was a location to discuss this it's here. A location where we have RAWA to act as a voice of reason for the judgements set by CYAN.

I want to see MORE a success, personally I want to be involved with that process. My level of involvement must fall inside the boundaries set by CYAN that's only fair, and with a frank and open discussion here we can hopefully establish a clear and solid border amicable to all three groups involved.

The IC Player group, The Fan Developer Group and CYAN.

As long we all agree that CYAN are the final arbiters of any appeal/request then we should be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:06 am 

Okay, so the linking books must somehow reference the descriptive book??? And if that is the case and somehow being brilliant as we are we can right a linking book back to our "original home age"..... how do we know what descriptive book to reference if we never wrote that book. Do you understand the conundrum here? It does not make sense.

Just a thought and I am sure someone has a perfect answer for it.

So if their is a descriptive book where is it kept because I remember in the Myst games only finding one book and that would be the linking book. Does this mean Atrus hid the descriptive books somewhere. Because if I remember Atrus refers to them as linking books. Not descriptive ones. Sorry, being picky here.

LOL. Grant you, I will never be doing this.

<<don't know my KI#.....darn>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

aallan wrote:
Okay, so the linking books must somehow reference the descriptive book??? And if that is the case and somehow being brilliant as we are we can right a linking book back to our "original home age"..... how do we know what descriptive book to reference if we never wrote that book. Do you understand the conundrum here? It does not make sense.

Just a thought and I am sure someone has a perfect answer for it.

So if their is a descriptive book where is it kept because I remember in the Myst games only finding one book and that would be the linking book. Does this mean Atrus hid the descriptive books somewhere. Because if I remember Atrus refers to them as linking books. Not descriptive ones. Sorry, being picky here.

LOL. Grant you, I will never be doing this.

Contrary to some passages in the Myst novels, RAWA has said that Linking Books are written with no knowledge of the phrases in the Descriptive Book. It seems to be a sort of standard form for those Books, with the location of writing choosing where they Link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:31 am 

Linking books link to the age they're written in; presumably to the location at which they're written. They don't 'reference' the linking book but, the age. Say you write a Descriptive Book. You use the Descriptive Book to link to the age it describes. Once there; you find yourself a nice, comfy spot and write yourself a linking book( or 40). This linking book will be a connection to that spot in that age. So, if you write a Linking book while on Earth; it will be a linking book to Earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:09 am 

There also has to be a way of mass producing linking books every relto has a number of books and there's a good number of reltos.

You may also recall on the original Myst island the link in the spaceship was on a screen.

The link to the raining cleft is offered to you by Yeeshas' hologram and the relto page for rain for your relto is a projection so there appears to be some flexibility in the requirement for a hard copy.

The analogy with short-cut icons and main program icon's works well and we have to assume that these virtual links are akin to voice selection where you don't actually handle the mouse but still activate either the program or short-cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:33 am 
If there is a way of mass producing linking books, only Yeesha knows it. Since every relto book leads to a different relto and changes made to it change the Age, it has to be assumed that relto books are Descriptive Books, the only ones we've ever actually seen in Uru. I have my own theories about how she accomplished the thing, and what the unforeseen consequences were; you can find them, and theories about Selenitic Age as well, in this story, partially invalidated by MOUL canon but still possibly worth a look. End of shameless plug.:)

The fact that linking books, which per RAWA do not reference the Descriptive Book but the Age itself, cease to function when the Descriptive Book is destroyed, is a major plank in my heresy.

Last edited by zander_nyrond on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:56 am 

Every relto has a Nexus book never mind all the Kadish, Teledhan and City books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:40 am 
Yes, that's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Relto books don't have to be Descriptive books. We're already dealing with Yeesha "magic", and it's quite possible that the potential for variations and instancing was written into Yeesha's single Relto Descriptive book. Even the Linking books that appear on the Relto shelves could be written into the Relto Descriptive book, along with the conditions that cause them to appear. Our individual Relto books might not be Linking books either, in the common parlance, but some other kind of book altogether, designed to accept us jamming Relto pages in them to add things.

We just don't know, and probably never will, because for all of Yeesha's "generosity", she's awfully darn selfish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:58 pm 

We will know but only if RAWA chooses to tell us. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:00 pm 

JKla wrote:
...I am looking to iron out some of those difficulties here while we are still at the ground rule setting stage.

If ever there was a location to discuss this it's here. A location where we have RAWA to act as a voice of reason for the judgements set by CYAN....

As long we all agree that CYAN are the final arbiters of any appeal/request then we should be ok.

Ever since it started I've been following this thread with fascination. Now, since it has been over seven days since we have "heard" from that "voice of reason" I find myself hoping that he is still keeping at least one eye on this discussion. It would be nice to hear from him - either with encouragement that all of you are on the right track, or at least with cautionary words that some of the ideas that have been batted around don't fit into Cyan's vision of URU and it would be best to drop them. Either way - I find myself hoping we haven't seen the last of the blue posts.

Oh yah - Tweek and his co-intern don't count. :wink: :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:03 pm 
I don't think we'll hear anything one way or another on these issues. I believe that the things we're discussing in this bit of the thread fall into the "deliberately left open for debate" category. If Cyan were to pronounce on them we'd have a lot less to talk about.

But I think (I hope) he's probably still reading.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next