It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:29 pm 

I would rather like a one liner just to let us know he's still there. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Gadren wrote:
Contrary to some passages in the Myst novels, RAWA has said that Linking Books are written with no knowledge of the phrases in the Descriptive Book. It seems to be a sort of standard form for those Books, with the location of writing choosing where they Link.

I understand there are also Linking Books which do reference the Descriptive Book, but need not be written at (or for that matter have any knowledge of) the point to which they link. They function like an auxiliary Descriptive Book, linking to the same location as the Descriptive Book but otherwise being a Linking Book. These would be the kind used by the Maintainers to investigate potentially dangerous ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Bogardan Mage wrote:
I understand there are also Linking Books which do reference the Descriptive Book, but need not be written at (or for that matter have any knowledge of) the point to which they link.

It has been retconned on the DRC site that a linking book can be made by copying passages from the descriptive book, but I never heard that you could do it without being on the spot you wanted them to link to. Source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:46 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
Bogardan Mage wrote:
I understand there are also Linking Books which do reference the Descriptive Book, but need not be written at (or for that matter have any knowledge of) the point to which they link.

It has been retconned on the DRC site that a linking book can be made by copying passages from the descriptive book, but I never heard that you could do it without being on the spot you wanted them to link to. Source?

Towards the end of The Book of Ti'ana, it is implied that it is possible.

**SPOILER ALERT**

A'gaeris builds a copy of the room he wants to link into in D'ni and writes a Linking book to the actual room, presumably.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was under the impression the duplicate room was created so he was standing in the exact right spot to follow Veovis into the prison age and spring him. It had to look like it was just a defect from the book otherwise they would know he was being freed.

Given that he had measurements and descriptions of the Room already, stands to reason the book could have been written in the real room at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:24 pm 

I think this is another one of those questions that is purposely unanswered. It seemed to me that the room was created so that they could Write a Linking book without being in the actual room, but it's just as likely that your interpretation is correct.

/shrug

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:01 am 

Tweek wrote:
I was under the impression the duplicate room was created so he was standing in the exact right spot to follow Veovis into the prison age and spring him. It had to look like it was just a defect from the book otherwise they would know he was being freed.

Given that he had measurements and descriptions of the Room already, stands to reason the book could have been written in the real room at the same time.

I always thought he would have been standing at the exact spot of the prison book when he wrote the link-- that way he never has to create a duplicate room. Just put your hand on the book, you link in at the exact spot that you wrote the link (which is where the other book happened to be placed) and, with your hand still out, you link in, instantly touch the second book and link out immediately. No other room necessary. Just write the link at the spot you want to link in, and if that spot has a linking book in the same space where your hand is, you'll link again.

Although this does raise an interesting question: how many times can this be done? Can you link through three Ages like this? Four? Five? Just write a link to a location, place a book at that exact location, and on and on for every Age you want to go through. Just as long as each book is at the same height as the last, you could, theoretically, go on forever.

Even scarier, what if you write a link to a room, which in turn has a linking book right back to the room you just linked from, which would in turn link you right back to the spot you just linked from, in an endless loop. Portal comes to mind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Y'all might want to take a look at this before we get too much farther off track here ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:30 am 

This might be one of the things that the Guild of maintainers originally looked for and there may be some mechanism tied to the linking pedestals in the city to prevent this possibly why they have a rotating gear at the bottom.

If this gear is a analogue sweep it would give any pedestal literally billions of combinations.

One story line could involve finding a D'ni who escaped the plague by locking him/herself in just one of these endless loops.

This would be a storyline exclusive to Cyan because it would bring massive amounts of D'ni history culture and knowledge into the game.

The Bharo may be able to break such a loop but again this is clearly Cyan territory.

It's an interesting speculation but it looks like one the licence specifically excludes us from exploring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:36 am 
The entry to which Alahmnat links makes it clear that the only reason the pedestal had to be duplicated was so that A'Gaeris's hand would be at the right height to be touching the other linking book as soon as he linked in. The rest of the attributes of the pedestal seem to have been irrelevant. I suppose the rotating gear could be constantly pistoning the Nexus pedestals up and down to prevent anyone knowing what height to make their copy, but I think it's more likely to be part of the mechanism that powers the KI interface.

I think you're right, though, that this would be something for Cyan to explore rather than us. I'd love to "find" a living D'ni, but s/he would have to have been brought up in isolation so as not to know anything Cyan hasn't already told us about the people and the city, which makes a nonsense of the whole idea really.

Anyway, the answer to the original question seems to be that no, the Linking Book A'gaeris used was Written in the usual manner, by Suahrnir standing in the appropriate spot in the real place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Ian Atrus wrote:
Bogardan Mage wrote:

The Mystlore page http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/Linking_book describes the two types of linking books, giving as a source Atrus's journals in Revelation. I don't know if there's any better sources, but it stands to reason. The Maintainers used Linking Books (rather than Descriptive Books) for their first trips to ages, didn't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:49 am 
Obduction Backer

from the Archive of the D'ni Desk Reference

Quote:
Linking
Traveling from one Age to another by means of a Linking Book.

A linking book will always take you to the same place it was written. (Cyan FAQ)

"You cannot link to another location in the Age you are in. That is impossible." -Gehn (BoA 126) (see also BoT 244-5)

BOA is Book of Atrus
BOT is Book of Tiana
Quote:
"Each Linking Book refers to one of the larger descriptive books, to one specific book. You might say that it contains the essence of the larger book - certain phrases and words that fuses it to that book and no other. But that is not all. For a Linking Book to work, it must also include an accurate description of the place one wishes to link to. And so a Linking Book is, in a sense, a working substitute for a descriptive book." -Gehn (BoA 124)

"If the descriptive book is changed, then all the Linking books associated with it will link to the changed world." -Gehn (BoA 125)

you can get more Linking Facts in the archive as well.

Such as:
Quote:
First the Writer writes a Descriptive Book, forging the link to the Age which the Book describes. After the Guild of Maintainers approves the Age, the Writer links to the new Age using the Descriptive Book. He takes with him his D'ni linking book, which is his way home, and a blank linking book.

While in the new Age he finds a nice place which would be convenient to link to, and he uses the blank linking book, which he brought with him, to write a new linking book that will bring him back to the place he's writing it in. Then, he takes his newly written linking book back to D'ni with him when he uses the D'ni Linking book to return to D'ni. Back in D'ni he can now use either the original Descriptive Book of the new Age or the new Linking Book he wrote while in that Age to get back to the new Age.

A Descriptive Book is the first link to a new Age. A Descriptive Book takes you TO an Age. A linking book RETURNS you to the Age in which you wrote it.

Quote:
You do not have to have seen or have any information from the Age's Descriptive Book to write a linking book to that Age. You only have to write the book while you are in that Age.
So it would be possible to write a linking book to your living room because you only need to refer to the Descriptive book. And know how to write a descriptive book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:42 am 

Are writers allowed to write totally new places that have nothing to do with the Myst story at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 am 

From what I can gather that's the idea but the stories and worlds/ages all exist within the Myst universe in other words you get to them using either a discovered Myst linking book or that place has been released onto the Nexus by the DRC or whatever.

The puzzles stories there are not allowed to change the history or interfere with the existing Myst cannon but otherwise the creativity is up to you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:45 am 
One does have to take into account that Gehn is considered by some to be less than reliable as a source of information... :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next