It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:20 pm 
Well, as long as there's a clear differentiation between "known facts" and "what we're told by in-game sources which may or may not be reliable (e.g. D'ni dogma)," it could be useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's actually useful to have both facts and rules in the document, though of course listed separately; someone 'rediscovering' a D'ni Age has to know what was forbidden by the Guild and play along those rules, even though we know that it is technically possible, while a new Writer (or a rogue one) has a slightly greater degree of liberty.

As an example, about Writing man-made objects:
- D'ni rule: you cannot Write man-made objects in an Age
- "fact" : Writing man-made objects into an Age is not impossible, but it's hard and the end result might not be exactly what you expected (see Stoneship); you can also use 'tricks' like Spire to make it look man-made, though it really isn't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:06 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
- "fact" : Writing man-made objects into an Age is not impossible, but it's hard and the end result might not be exactly what you expected (see Stoneship); you can also use 'tricks' like Spire to make it look man-made, though it really isn't

I would argue Stoneship and Spire are not "facts" since they are in the games, which are not canon. It's possible I have a very specific view on this. Uru=Truth (mostly) and Everything else=a possible bending of the Truth. heh

I would suggest that the journey cloths in Uru are not actual links to other places, but are instead completely game-related bookmarks. Sure, it takes you out of "reality" a moment, but the alternative to that link would be to have to run through the Age every time something went wrong. Not fun - in a game-related way. I would be disappointed to find a shortcut that was added for players' convenience would now be forced into being a "real" thing. When you use a cloth link, just pretend you ran through the Age again. ;)

Since I think journey cloths are just "game bookmarks," I also think it would be a great idea if Writers could use the same mechanism in their Ages. It would be a great way to show progression - even if there were no real "puzzles" to solve, you would still need to search the Age for the cloths. A puzzle of exploration only, but it gives you a goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:02 pm 

I think you will find you will need this bookmark or something like.

But specifically Journey cloths are particular to Yeesha This is one that will just have to be addressed somehow but for now the Journey cloth is a piece of Yeesha magic that's been declared out of bounds?

I guess this is another one for RAWA. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:43 pm 

As far as I understand things, anything that Yeesha made that even slightly looks like magic counts as Yeesha magic and we don't get to do it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

So... any other kind of magic is ok? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Magic doesn't really exist. The only reason Yeesha can do her stuff is because of Yeesha mag... wait a second. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:33 pm 

I always thought "Yeesha magic" wasn't really magic, but was just unexplained and advanced methods of Writing that let her do wierd things. Same with Bahro powers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:32 pm 

It seems I did not complete my thought earlier. I meant to say that journey cloth-type items should be able to be used in user-created Ages. No, not journey cloths specifically, but something a player can touch to show his/her progress in the Age...if the Age needs (or could use) progress, of course. No "magic" involved, though it would be good to be able to tell if your touch was counted....

I don't think journey cloths are necessarily Yeesha magic. I think they were mostly game-related with a side story of seeing all the things in the Age that Yeesha wanted you to see. The illumination-on-touch (and link-in bookmark) is more game-related than a necessary part of Yeesha's Journey for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 pm 
Well, exactly. And as such, her techniques ought at some future point to be discoverable through research and experiment.

Bahro powers, if they were ever going to become available in the game, would have to come with hefty compensating disadvantages. Like going insane from trying to assimilate alien thought patterns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:05 am 

Like mercury fumes with the old alchemists.

Arthur C Clarke is often credited with
Quote:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

We have to come to a solution with this we need a progression mechanism a method by which we can ave a secondary user mobile link in point for any one age.

The Journey Cloth was an ideal mechanism for this providing as it did only one secondary location moveable to only fixed points within an age.

The rules as I see it state that we are allowed to have discovered ages that is we don't write age books but find already written books.

One solution could be that the ancient D'ni could move a secondary link in point and Yeesha refined this to movable cloths the ancient D'ni had to do this with a fixed pillar that added a page to your current linking book. Just like your city book does when using the Bharo stones.

I am not saying this is the answer only one possibility for discussion either way I think it's one for which we will find a solution usefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:49 am 

The only currently canonically feasible solution that I can think of is having various linking books that you would find throughout the Age that you could "pick up" and keep. Of course, the problem with this being that it would be combersome...eventually one would become overflowed with masses of linking books for various Ages, and nowhere to put them.

Or...though I have no idea how mechanically difficult this would be (read: how complex the programming would be) you could have it so that a person could "write" their own linking book in an Age, and basically have a linking book that you keep on-hand for that Age. It would be like a save point that you choose...you "write" your save point for that Age, and it makes a linking book that you keep with your original book for that Age. Every time you "wrote" a new save point, it would override the old one, as if you replaced the old linking book with the new linking book.

Just some food for thought,

-Dalken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Goofling wrote:
Uru=Truth (mostly) and Everything else=a possible bending of the Truth.

But even Uru != truth on occasion, due to game limitations: as an example, the linking panels should not be photographs but real time windows on the Age. If we stick to just the Uru Ages and remove all the Yeesha stuff, the rules in the document are going to be even *more* restrictive, which is definitely not fun.
As far as I'm concerned, if RAWA didn't bother to deny something in the last 10 years, then it must has something true to it. ;)

About journey cloths/bookmarks, either Cyan makes an exception for them (would be nice for big Ages) or they're definitely part of the "not allowed" stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Goofling wrote:
I would argue Stoneship and Spire are not "facts" since they are in the games, which are not canon.

Spire is perfectly logical. Even if the age itself does not exist in canon (or is drastically different), the Art still has the capacity to simulate artificial construction in that manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:51 pm 

Prin Dovahtee - A small group of D'ni that fled the Fall's attempt at creating a safe refuge. Sound like anything that would violate the rules yet? There's much more information, but I want it to be a surprise. ;)

(No Yeesha cheese, not a specific group, and nobody from released stories.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 268 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next