It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:44 pm 

Hey!

So, I probably AM wrong, and people will be angry at me because I didn't do any research, but..

I'm kinda' worried.

Why?

Because MUL might turn into secondlife. Now when we can add whatever we want (can we? that's what I understand), I am sure people will do some crazy stuff.

I have some questions:

1. will we have different servers?

If so,

2. will every server be different in it's content?

if so,

3. will anyone open a server which will not be a "secondlife style" sandbox?

People may call me uncreative, but I just want things to be realistic, at some degree. I didn't like the 100% freedom in secondlife, and I'm afraid people will go crazy in MUL, to the point we will have d''ni secondlife.

So the big question is:

Will there be a place of order?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:50 pm 

Well, I don't think you're alone in that worry. The way I understand it the guilds are going to 'regulate' the MystOnline server 'mass' so that things don't get too out of hand. However, outside servers will still exist unregulated even though they are approved. Personally, I don't think we'll get to the point where we have a Second Life - style Uru. THings may become exravagant and different - but extravagant is good. If we have things mundain, then it won't attract interest. Finding the balance is important as we begin this cycle and we have to all meld together to make sure we don't tip it.

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't directly assume the worst... I think most fans don't want to see Uru becoming something like Second Life, so it won't happen. The fans will be in charge, and if the majority of the fans want to stay true to Uru's spirit, then that will happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeap
Whatever TG and Erik said :)

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:08 pm 

That's what I'm worried about...

You see, future isn't bright to me (wow, I sound like I don't want MUL back. don't get me wrong! I'm really happy!). 50% of the community want secondlife sandbox (you will be surprised). The other 50% want a complete reboot to everything (no yeesha, bahros, DRC).

I'm in the middle. I don't want second life and I want to keep the MUL content. All I want is a refresh. Add some more d'ni building on the 'hood rock walls. Put linking stones only when needed. Put the rezeero book in the nexus, and put both delin and tsogal in all the 'hoods. Give us a yeesha-signed book to the negilahn jungle. Stuff like that.

I'm afraid things will go extrem and there will be no place for people like me (if there are any). I hope someone will open a server, which is controlled (not a sandbox), but also bring all the MUL content (no reboot). Like, MUL with refreshes, additions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:56 pm 

Stranger, by voicing your concern, you are guaranteeing that like-minded people will see and act on it in a positive manner. That's the beauty of something open source like this.

In fact, that's how internet security people work - they find a bug, exploit, weak spot or area of concern and publicize it. This is also true in the open source community and it means that problems get fixed quickly since there are so many more brains to tackle them, right across the globe. (The principle applies to program content as well as to security.)

Rest assured, you will find what you are looking for, and much more (pardon the pun). I know there are other dedicated fans who feel as you do and who will do their utmost to make a shared vision of canon D'ni come true. There will be those who digress, but an SL scenario is not very likely. Just the sheer creativity, game loyalty and detail-orientation of the average Uru fan guarantees it. People who love this universe have high standards in their games. SL performed a vital service of keeping the spirit alive, but it is no replacement for the real thing. (And I say that with absolutely no disrespect for anyone who loves SL, either.)

It's going to be a big, beautiful D'niverse out there. Enjoy it as it flowers!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

You know stranger, i'm afraid that some control freaks will turn the game in only an IC controlled environement where OCC will be banned. I have a feeling that 90% of the comunity wnat only IC ;)

Maybe neither of our worries will come true; Let's get both IC and OCC :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:02 pm 

This is what will most likely happen in terms of control:

Cyan: 100%
Guilds: 0%

Result- No one will be able to affect anything, therefore, won't play.

------------

Cyan: 0%
Guilds: 100%

Result: Chaos, without authority by Cyan, and without Cyan helping us, things WILL get out of control.

------------

Cyan: 50%
Guilds: 50%

Result: Perfect, we do our thing along WITH Cyan

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:02 pm 

If there will be different servers, than I have no problems.

We will have controlled servers, and uncontrolled servers. Everyone will have the MUL they want (hopefuly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's a very good point Jamey.

Exepct, replace "guilds" by "comunity" :) the WHOLE of us.

guess it should work somethink along the line of :
I want to add features / ages whatever on my shard -> yeah sure, go ahaed
Changes that will affect everyone, if you want your story / age to be deemed as "cannon" -> approuval nedded.

And Myst online is Cyan's game, Cyan are the only ones who can have the final word. Though maybe the guild should do a "pre-sort" to help, but can we trust them to be fully partial ?

Quote:
If there will be different servers, than I have no problems.

We will have controlled servers, and uncontrolled servers. Everyone will have the MUL they want (hopefuly).

that's the idea :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:13 am 
Obduction Backer

The thing to realize is Cyan may not be able to help. I'm wondering about their state, now.. but of course won't know how bad until we know how iMyst does. I expect it to get wild and uncontrolled. That's good, believe it or not. For the first time we can say 'Don't like how we run it? Go do your own style". Lots of servers will go up. Many will be abandoned and left alone. Cyan can't keep their fingers in the pot forever.. expect us to go crazy at first and ettle down to a few setups.. a cluster of reboot-style servers, some free servers of varying degrees, and some story ones. Some story groups will form and find places to hang out and work on accordingly.

It'll be a player's market in a way, we'll be able to choose where we want and be able to get it.

As for 'canon' I don't expect that to happen for a long while, until Cyan is ready to get back with us again. We'll be going past them at first, because of sheer speed from that many people together without restriction. Don't like that? Too bad. Don't play. We'll probably be rather self-regulating (don't expect bahro to be anything but alien confusing entities in any fanon servers) but we'll differ from what Cyan wanted. As a result, if they ever set up a server, that can be the real official canon server. Until then, we can't wait if news will be as sparse as it was before. It won't be official canon, but it'll have a story of its own.

This is becoming our game people.. we can't wait on Cyan for everything. And I think they're saying that too now.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
On the other hand, it is entirely possible that Cyan may like what they see in fanon, and perhaps adopt part of it as canon.

Or not.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]